PDA

View Full Version : jumping rope

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2005, 06:06 PM
just bought myself a jump rope and realized that its not quite as easy as rocky makes it look.

found this site with a quick google search and figured id share:

http://www.jumpropeinstitute.com/

sounds good to me .... if anyone has anything they can add or whatever that would be awesome.

littlelaugh
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Anything to add? Only that I found that the alternate foot technique is very fast for me. It started out feeling really awkward though. It's one of those things that you have to stick with and it pays off. At a leisurely pace I do about 100 turns per minute and could go on for a good length of time. It's definitely part of my warm up that I enjoy.

Cool site. After reading some info on there I think I will work on upping my jump time.

Cheers,

Laugh

MasterKiller
08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
I use Scapper's H.I.I.T workout with the rope.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

I use the alternating foot jump technique for my active-recovery (slow) sets, and jump with both feet for my fast sets.

David Jamieson
08-24-2005, 06:11 AM
skipping is great for cvs, footwork and even lightness.

Oso
08-24-2005, 06:19 AM
it's freaking hard.

i just started this summer but right now my workout pattern is almost non existant.

i'm doing an I.B.U.R. program from here.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459414

i was doing pretty decent early this summer (5 x 2 minute rounds w/ 1 min rest) but then work started kicking my ass and I didn't do anything for 7 weeks. so I went back to this ibur thing and am working up to the basic program listed there...i'm only up to the 120 sec work cycle right now.

this ibur program was very succesful for me a couple of years ago when i was using it on a stairclimber. so, i thought I'd give it a try w/ the rope.

i'm still looking like a clumsy oaf trying to alternate de feets...

Marcos-XB
08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
comes very in handy :)
specialy since i suck so bad at it, its shamefull

Shaolinlueb
08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
when i jump the rope i do three 1 minute intervals with a 30 second rest period in between. not much but i use it for a warm up usually. it gets me working.

PangQuan
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
10 to 20 sets of 100 jumps with push ups situps or some form of other drill in between each jump set.

work your way to 2000 jumps and get in a good 500 or so push ups and sit ups, its a good warm up for the day. or a good ending.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
i dont think wrapping the cord around my hand is workin out so well. i need to actually adjust the rope length. ima check out scrappers as soon as i get my form down decent enough.

PangQuan
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
cut that sum bich down man, get you some good swivle handles thats spin like a demon on speed.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2005, 06:01 PM
i dont think it has swivel handles. its a black one with removable weights in the handles i picked up at walmart. that should be good enought to start with though right?

Oso
08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
yea, that'll be fine.

I use a 6.99 model w/ plastic rope and cheap swivels that I got at ****'s Sporting Goods. I honestly couldn't tell a lot of difference between it and the 12.99 model.

that **** plastic rope hurts like a biotch when it smacks against the tips of your toes...good pain tolerance training though. ;)