PDA

View Full Version : Fung Bai Lo

hskwarrior
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Has anyone ever heard of or seen this set called Fung Bai Lo?

From what i know, the set was created by late master Kwan Mun Keng-founder of the Singapore hung sing Kwoon. (2nd hand knowledge)- it was supposedly created to counter Choy Lee Fut.

However, the chan family lists this set as a chan family set. So, just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen it or knows it.

thanks,

hsk-frankie frank

Ben Gash
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Shouldn't all CLF counter CLF? :confused:

hskwarrior
08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
boyee, you got a lot going on with you ben.

all i did was ask if anyone knew or have seen this set.

What was so hard about that question. it wasn't about the countering part. it was only a question, there dude.

anyway, some of the hardest people to fight are you classmates.

what about the counter to the counter next to the counter along side of the counter next to the counter and back again. now what about that huh? :eek:

i think you can be countered.

frank

hskwarrior
08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
So .........Ben.......... :rolleyes: ......how do you counter choy lee fut?

with the benefit of two man forms of course clf can counter clf. And, all of us agree that CLF is a pretty effective, agressive system, right? We have our way of fighting, defending, etc. but it is our way.

Although I've never seen "Fung Bai Low" (willow swaying in the wind) i can understand the concept. One must look at it from the perspective that you are an outsider slowly studying CLF techniques and creating counter after counter, not typical to what is already in the system as we know it. To have that in your background to me would take you one step closer to being a "more complete figther."

But you, ben, are a little, no alot too late in shooting down the set, its already out there.

frank

Ben Gash
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm not being confrontational, I'm just saying it's an odd concept. Surely that's what the 2 man fighting forms are all about.
You're right though, it does pique the curiosity doesn't it ;) Is it longarm or shorthand, is it soft or hard, are there unusual footwork strategies....

Ben Gash
08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Frankly Frank, your last 2 posts made my head hurt. Have you been studying Ninja mind control techniques? ;)

hskwarrior
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
No ninja's without nacho cheese please.

I practice a secret high, no, super high, unh unh, yes, it is godlike Choy Lee Fut called "boggledamind" it is a cousin to ninjitsu mind control. the key to making it work is making your opponent say "what the F#@* is he talking about?" LMAO :D

now, you have the right idea about curiosity. I have never seen this set, and was just wondering what other branches teach it. as i have stated, it was supposedly a set from Kwan Mun Keng, but a chan family guy lists it as a chan family clf set.

but its all good tho'.

sorry man, i'm in such a good mood today. i got a strong group of students, the area where i teach i ripe for what i am out there doing. more and more everyday people are showing interest in choy lee fut.

Just today, i was looking out over my groups of students and was very proud to see everyone working out their CLF and making it work for them. Sometimes, the fruits of your labor can be oh so sweet. :)

frank

Ben Gash
08-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Nice to hear a positive story, I start my first class in my own right tomorrow :eek: I don't even know if anyone's going to show up :(

hskwarrior
08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
good luck ben, take it slow. it always helps if you have someone there to fill in space to draw attention.

seriously, good luck man. i hope it goes well.

frank

Judge Pen
08-25-2005, 04:37 AM
I haven't heard of this system before, but it should make you CLF guy's feel good. (MY styles so bad arse that people had to create a whole new system just to counter us) which isn't that out-of-the-ordinary really. Wasn't CLF and many souther styles developed, in part, to counter the Northern imperialstic fighting and warring techniques?

When we learn applcations, my teacher shows us the counter to that application. It's usually in the same form which is neat.

TenTigers
08-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Not to thread-hijack, but in Hung-Ga, the forms not only contain applications, but the counters to these same applications as well. I would think CLF would also have this. as they are related systems.
If I were going to devise a form to counter a style, I would think of the style's main fighting philosophy. In CLF's case, it is mostly a non-bridging system, meaning, where guys like Hung-Ga, Wing Chun like to adhere to the bridge, CLF's bridge dissapears in an instant and is replaced with strikes. I find it amazing when playing with guys like DF, how he can suddenly twist into lau-ma and VOOM-no more bridge and I'm looking at chop choys from hell coming at me at a hundred miles an hour. So I suppose the antithesis of this would be a style designed to crowd, and stick, control the bridge,prevent the maneuverability, and CLF's overwhelming strikes.CLF has great offense as well, so this is an issue..
hmmm, are you sure you're looking for an elephant? Sounds more like an octopus.
So the ultimate style is CLF,HG,WC,SPM and grappling.
Let's go train!

bigdoing
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
sounds like weng chung

hskwarrior
08-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Fung Bai Lo was created by the late master Kwan Mun Keng, the founder of the Singapore Hung Sing Kwoon.

Like i said , he was a choy lee fut guy, not wing chun or any other system,

he decided to put together that form together to battle choy lee fut. perhaps because he felt he understood CLF and could therefore separate himself from it, analyze it from a different perspective. Maybe even saying, hmmm, if i were another style how would i block a sow chow, chop choy, panther fist, and so on.

What ever he did, he put together a set that he felt would counter clf techniques based on his own CLF experience.

I don't see what is wrong with that. yes, i understand that CLF can counter CLF, but is not what he was trying to accomplish.

however, it definitely wouldn't be weng cheung. no not that.

hsk

bigdoing
08-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I know its not wang chang.....I dont evey really care about wing chaung.

I only know clf

Infrazael
08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Not to thread-hijack, but in Hung-Ga, the forms not only contain applications, but the counters to these same applications as well. I would think CLF would also have this. as they are related systems.
If I were going to devise a form to counter a style, I would think of the style's main fighting philosophy. In CLF's case, it is mostly a non-bridging system, meaning, where guys like Hung-Ga, Wing Chun like to adhere to the bridge, CLF's bridge dissapears in an instant and is replaced with strikes. I find it amazing when playing with guys like DF, how he can suddenly twist into lau-ma and VOOM-no more bridge and I'm looking at chop choys from hell coming at me at a hundred miles an hour. So I suppose the antithesis of this would be a style designed to crowd, and stick, control the bridge,prevent the maneuverability, and CLF's overwhelming strikes.CLF has great offense as well, so this is an issue..
hmmm, are you sure you're looking for an elephant? Sounds more like an octopus.
So the ultimate style is CLF,HG,WC,SPM and grappling.
Let's go train!

Yeah, I love the no bridging aspect of CLF.

This is probably the reason why alot of CLF people love western boxing as well -- you DON'T HAVE TO BRIDGE!!!