PDA

View Full Version : Introductions + Shaolin in San Diego?

ProxRB
08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
This is kind of long, the first part is introduction, skip that if you so incline. I'm just excited and feeling giddy.

I've been lurking around for a few days now. Quite an interesting forum y'all have here. Quite an oasis from the commercialized "karate" (more like dancing) that bombards our world. Lately (with the onset of summer break and the consequential renting of multiple movies) I've began to think about martial arts a bit more. I studied some Shaolin before I moved out to California in 2002. 5 years of Shaolin to be precise. Our Shifu refered to his classes as "Shaolin Hung Mei" but I know we learned from more than just this branch of Shaolin, including some Hung Gar and Hung Men styles. I learned the 12 tan tui as well as their 2 man sets, as well as "Shi Zi Quan" (being ABC, the best I translate this to is "Cross Form"), "fu fu quan" (I dont recall the exact spelling of this, nor the Chinese pronunciation, so that is very vague), "Tai Tsu Yin Jiao" (Eagle Fist), the beginnings of Small Cannon Form, and the introductory forms for Qi Mei Gun (Eyebrow Length Staff) and basic grappling, as well as various more minor, shorter forms from a more disperse library of styles. Furthermore, I learned the head and tail of basic Lion Dancing on assorted apparatus and banners, and dragon dancing, yadda yadda yadda. The beautiful Chinese culture :D The reason I bother to type out all I've learned is because lurking around this forum, hearing others mention forms I was introduced to has brought me great pleasure. I love it.

Anyway, just as I was really starting to become familiar with the style, really respecting the art, my Shifu Howie Solow (If any of you have heard of him please tell me) the only man I really feel comfortable calling Shifu, my family moved. Now I'm stuck in San Diego, in the middle of various commercialized immitations of TKD and Karate, and restricted to the only genuine martial artist I've found who unfortunately only teaches Tai-qi with a heavy health for the elderly focus.

So... Introductions are over, back to buisness. Do any of you know of a good Martial Artist in the San Diego taking pupils? Perhaps one worth the title of Shifu?

Anyway, this is the website of my Shifu. Take a look if you wish:
http://www.shaolinhungmei.com/

[edit] did not realize a certain legitimate word contained a slightly less than legitimate root

Michael Dasargo
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Check out

www.Kuoshu-Union.org for a directory of traditional schools in san diego. There are others, however these five have been in San Diego for at least 2 - 3 decades.

Best Regards,
M.Dasargo