PDA

View Full Version : Shao Twei

blackmantis
08-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to improve my Shao Twei. I don't have anyone to practise with and so I cannot do any partner work. Can anyone suggest any methods of increasing the power, speed and accuracy of this footsweep?

Many thanks,

S

Sifu Darkfist
08-27-2005, 01:15 PM
stand in 60/40 or what is called monkey / fighting stance left leg forward. left arm moves across eyes followed by right arm shifting body into dragon stance (twist front leg counterclockwise sweep right leg towards left and right hand towards right THEN follow through right leg over left to a dragon (deep stance) and come into the technique on the opposite side sweeping with left foot this time.
if you repeat this and go deep dragon stances your muscles for this type of power will increase dramatically. Then for accuracy you do the move the same only instead of hooking with your foot curll it in and hit a tree with the outside edge of your heal in effect you will be slicing across the tree do both sides again and again lower and higher when you never miss you will understand proper distance.

mantis108
08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I believe you could try Shuai Jiao's training tool such as the rock pole. If you don't have access to that then try using a bar bell. Hook one side of the bar ball with one leg and lift that side for about 20 times. Then do the exercise that was described by Sifu Darkfist. If you want to condition the low part of the shin, you may try kicking the leg of a wooden dummy or the metal pole of a parking meter (just make sure that no City by laws enforcement is arround). ;) But you must try to find a live and resistive partner to train for the timing.

Mantis108

NorthstarMantis
08-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I like kicking trees,,,if you can find one just the right size you get a pretty good feeling for the upper body work as well. But of course there`s no substitute for a live training partner especially with a technique like shao twe, **** I miss my little brother :D
The barbell/Shuai Jiao excercises are great I`ve been toying around with them for a minute.

EarthDragon
09-02-2005, 08:48 AM
listen you know who............ just because you are a mantis doesnt give you the right to go around killing grasshoppers.

what has the world come to when we need to kill insects to further our training..... Now if you want to cover them in chocolate and eat them then I guess you can kill them and not feel guilty....