PDA

View Full Version : Ba Ji Quan in China

maxiaoyao
08-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi All,

I'm usually watching these forumns from afar, though find it interesting to see what other styles of gong fu people are practicing. I haven't come across much material concerning the practice of Ba Ji Quan (Eight Polar Boxing / Eight Extremes Boxing - There are other interpretations as well). Maybe I haven't searched enough in the archives, but I'd like to spark off a discussion about Ba Ji practice, different lineages, and also if anyone has had experience studying in China (the mainland actually).

How large is the Ba Ji community (I know it is popular in Taiwan). But in what other countries are people practising?

As an additional note, I find it interesting that this thread seems to have to go in the "internal" gong fu section - Maybe it shouldn't - Possibly it will get rellocated :)

Thanks,

MXY

Three Harmonies
08-27-2005, 08:36 AM
MXY
Whats up my friend? As you know I have only been exposed to the Taiwanese lineage of Liu Yun Qiao's Baji Chuan. I can offer little more than that. I have seen some video of others playing on Mainland, but have never run across anyone. I would be interested to see how many (if any) folks here in North America are practicing a Mainland style of Baji!?
Good post.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

Brad
08-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm not actively learning it (only learned xiao baji quan a couple years ago), but there's both a mainland baji quan teacher (An Tian Rong - teaches Huo branch baji) and Taiwanese teacher (Dr. Huang - Liu Yun Qiao student) here in Columbus. Wasn't there a forum member here who's actively learning somewhere on the mainland?

Finny
08-28-2005, 02:15 AM
That would be Omar - he lives in Xi'an, but he's in San Francisco at the moment, so is not on the net that much these days.

SPJ
08-28-2005, 09:37 AM
No wonder I did not read his posts in BSD for a while.

:D

RAF
08-29-2005, 06:06 AM
In 2003, CCTV 9 did a documentary, Martial Arts Today in China. They did an hour segment on Bajiquan/Pigua zhang in the Hebei province.

I also hear there is a line of baji in Northeast China and is relatively different from the Hebei style.

maxiaoyao
08-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks All,

Interesting that there is a differentiation between NorthEastern Ba Ji and Hebei Ba Ji. I studied in the North East, htough under Li Chun He from Tian Jin. As far as I know, his lineage is Hebei based, though I know one of his students trained in the North East for many years before becoming a student of his - An old story goes that these other Ba Ji students were running riot in Harbin after their master passed away - They found themselves with no direction and took out their frustration causing havok. Li Chun He, when arriving in Harbin, was confronted by these students and was challeneged - He quickly made them realise that they should study under him, as his students, and not try fight against him :)

I'd be interested to know what significant differences there are between these two styles, if they exist at all that is.

MXY