PDA

View Full Version : High Ranking Baguazhang Students

Guandi
01-17-2001, 01:08 PM
Hi

very often here is a discussion about the power, fighting quality etc from some Bagua masters. What I find much more interesting is the quality of their students.

So which of the Bagua masters is known for "producing" good practitioners. The questions is, has Park Bok Nam, Xie Peiqi, Lo Te Sui etcppp high level students. If you know of a Bagua master who has high level students please write it here down.

This is not about the power of the master itself but about his ability and willingness to teach his material.

Guandi

razakdigital
01-17-2001, 04:20 PM
I hope people answer this post because we all study under high level individuals. How many of us reach a high level of the arts? How many of us truly understand what our Sifu's teach us? Anyhow it would be interesting to see and hear about high level students...

"If you want to know what your experiences were like in the past, just examine your body now. If you want to know what your body will look like in the future, examine your experiences now."

Vedic Expression

NJ
01-17-2001, 08:18 PM
Well done. Finally a topic worthy of starting an intelligent conversation. No wonder so few people have responded. Why is it that we often get so caught up it the fascination with others and that outside of our own journey & development. This is not to say we shouldn't care, but rather to learn how to swim before we play life-guard or pool-side manager.

razakdigital
01-17-2001, 08:29 PM
You defintely won't see much of anything on this post...!!! We spend so much time sweating other peple but ourselves....

NJ
01-17-2001, 08:37 PM
It is really the individual student's own resopnsibility to search out, train, think, modify and excell in any art. It's often been said: "There are many great teachers, but few great students." It's that personal commitment and investigation that opens the door to one's true abilities. This brings the practicioner to what one might consider a "high level". It's simply a better undersatnding of natural priciples, the common denomonators in training & use, and how these areas are idiosyncratically adapted to the student. For one can only get 'so much' from a teacher. The 'teacher' is really only a guide, helping clarify less-desireable vs more-desireable training methods. It's doubtfull there too many 'high level' students (whom are typically teachers/guides in their own right by that time,...but "teaching" is a whole other interrelated topic...) that practice ONLY what they where taught as demonstrated by another human's body, temperment, age, disposition, or learning process. The student must ALWAYS explore. The moment exploration stops, so does the learning. "We should not bite the hand that feeds - but perhaps we should, if it prevents us from feeding ourselves."

Look to others for inspiration. Feed yourself.

Thank you to all the wonderful teachers/guides out there help us see for ourselves.

Regards and happy training,
NJ
David Lepp
lepp@asia.com

Waidan
01-17-2001, 08:39 PM
I'd love to reply, but the honest truth is I just haven't seen that many Bagua practitioners outside of my school. For the sake of adding something to this doomed conversation, my teacher's got a lot of power (IMO) and he studies under John Bracy.

01-18-2001, 04:48 AM
I know that Tim Cartmell, Aarvo Tucker, and Marcus Brinkman, seem to have worthwhile things to say in journals and other writings. They seem to be well-respected as teachers. Are any of their students on this board? Could you tell us if their real level is high?

I brought up Lo's name without studying with him and got a reply from a student. Now I'll throw out some more names of people I've never met and hope to get first-hand response again. A pathetic approach, but there you are. :)

Killah-B
01-18-2001, 06:48 AM
Just like to say,nice words NJ!

wujidude
01-18-2001, 06:37 PM
NJ:

True words, nicely spoken. I'd extend the list of master teachers whose students we should hear from to Park Bok Nam. IMO Park, along with Luo De Xiu, has probably done the most over the last decade to bring quality baguazhang teaching to different areas around the country.

Eight Immortals
01-18-2001, 07:23 PM
Glenn Moore (Richmond VA)
Glenn Wright (Nashville TN)
Greg Hatza (Baltimore MD)
Ion Ionescu (New York)
Ray Ahles (New Jersey)BKFA
Jacopo Silicani (Italy)