PDA

View Full Version : Bound for the Mantis Motherland!!!!!

ninjaboy
08-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Well gang,

Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I gotta see what all the hub-bub is about. I am moving to Qingdao in early October and I am seeking advice about with whom to contact and train with in the Shandong peninsula while there. I will, no doubt, be there for at least a couple of years. I have been studying Chinese in China for a couple of years now, and currently live in Ningbo, a city not far from Shanghai. Feel free to ask questions :)

Here's the issue: I have been a student of Shifu Jon Funk since 1993. Although he encourages training with whoever you can, I do not wish to "hop" into a different family tree just because I train somewhere else for a while.

What advice can anyone offer regarding political correctness on my travels while still being able to be "Ohio Mantis Conference-ish" in my approach to training?

Will it be all "secret society-like" and I have to become a sworn blood-brother or is it going to be possible to mingle freely with the mantis masses in that area?

Give me names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. I'm on a mission. :)

It's important to mention that I am not "style specific" in my search for good people to train with. My Shifu's words echoe in my mind....."good stuff is just good stuff....it's universal".

Please feel free to reply publicly or privately, as you wish. Thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sifu Darkfist
08-26-2005, 05:38 AM
Perfect location for great training
both Sun De Yao's family such as Sun De Long and Zhang wei fu are in this city both are renowned in shandong. their style is Tai Ji Mei Hua Tang Lang Chaun
i have personally trained it and it is precise and to the point, Very very effective with incredible emphasis on waist born power as all Tai Ji is. However it is incredibly fast. In fact here is lineage info thanks to one of our mantis brothers
http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/tjmeihua.htm
here you will find all the practioners i have named. Now for contact information
It is best to contact Mater Yang Xaio Dong and ask for a referral to their private numbers etc. if you show respect and explain your situation you will receive proper direction. Master Yang is best friends with these gentlemen as well as Wu Bin (Jet LI's Sifu) they are like brothers to him with no exaggeration. It is not my place to give out personal info on these masters and since i have trained with them and know them personally i would not overstep these boundaries.
They Will probably be at Master Yangs Tournament in oct on the 8th along with many other renowned masters from china at university of akron see my page at www.wutangbrunswick.com or mater yangs page www.wutangcenter.com. if you attend and contact me ahead of time i can possibly arrange a meeting or one of my elder kung fu brothers could also assist (there is one that posts to this forum). any other questions feel free to ask.
Darkfist

El Tejon
08-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Aside: Neil, do you have a copy of IKF's mantis conference article? Still willing to mail a copy to you.

Kirk, the student of Dwight Edwards who bought you beer at the conference.

shirkers1
08-26-2005, 07:22 AM
could you repeat the question?

ninjaboy
08-28-2005, 11:36 PM
thanks darkfist, i would be grateful if u could get me some contact information. i won't be attending the tournament u mentioned as i am living in china now.....it's a heckuva commute : )

i appreciate your assistance.

sincerely,
neil

Sifu Darkfist
08-29-2005, 04:14 AM
do you speak mandarin pretty well?
first off you could e mail master Yang his site is www.wutangcenter.com i will get you more info and send privately if i get the ok
so make sure your private messages are turned on
thanks

BeiTangLang
08-29-2005, 06:20 AM
LOL! Neil, geez man!

Everything I have heard about the mantis folks that have been over there is that everyone has been very open & happy to share the art.
Keep us up to date on what you find!
Best wishes as always,
~BTL

ninjaboy
08-29-2005, 10:24 PM
thanks bei, i can't wait to get up there. i'm really excited and of course i will have plenty to discuss in the future regarding my discoveries and adventures. yippie!

neil