PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite posture!

SPJ
08-29-2005, 06:45 AM
In Tai Chi, I love them all.

If has to pick, I would say white crane spreading wings.

In Ba Ji, it is Liang Yi Ding.

In Ba Gua, single palm change.

In Xing Yi, Pi Quan.

In tong bei, it will be Pi Zhang or Pi Shan.

---

What is yours?

:D

David Jamieson
08-29-2005, 06:53 AM
girl on top.

SPJ
08-29-2005, 06:56 AM
In Tai Chi, I like single whip, too.

White crane spreading wings.

Both hands are close or He in your center front, and then they separate or open or Kai. One palm is moving downward or An to your left or right. The other palm is moving upward and outward, There are circular movements and Peng in your forearm.

You assume the empty stance or Xu Bu. This can be low, mid kick, too.

If you look at the front, there is a curve of Tai Chi in the traveling pattern of your both arms.

If you look from the side, your arm and the leg has the curve, too.

Yes, there are many MA apps, too.

At the end of the move or Ding Shi, we have to sink the Qi to Dan Tian and lower the sacrum etc etc.

I have Tai Chi in many respects and the mind set.

It is also establishing the center equilibrium or Zhong Ding.

---

sean_stonehart
08-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Girl on Top is a good one.

I'm a big fan of

Lazy Buddha Presses Remote...

Lohan Kicks Lazyboy Footstool Out...

:eek: :eek: :D :D

David Jamieson
08-29-2005, 07:23 AM
spj-

I personally find it hard to narrow down to a favourite posture. They all flow together and work together as a single piece.

Now had you said "favourite style" that would be different! It would still be "girl on top" for me :D , but taichi wise, I am and will forever be a yang player. Just a personal preference as it seems to be the style that fits me best as taichi goes.

SPJ
08-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Yes, Yang Tai Chi is the most popular physical activity on the planet earth.

It is indeed difficult to pick a single posture to embody the whole style.

You are correct. It is a whole piece. As if a song or symphonie.

It is tough to pick a tune within a song.

I was asked of the same Q in front of students. I paused for a while.

---

Chief Fox
08-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Since you guys are talking about Tai Chi Chuan. I know there are some people that can extract multiple applications for every posture. Some applications are pretty easy to see but I can't visualise an application for the single whip. For some reason I see a throw in there somehow. But I'm not getting all of it. I'm sure that it will come to me in time but I try to visualise performing the technique while doing the form instead of just copying the moves. Thanks.

Oh, and I like:
Girl on top
Doggie
Reverse Catcher
Good Ol' Missionary

I actually try to run them in a circuit, it's a great workout.

TonyM.
08-29-2005, 08:46 AM
As of lately I like crane flaps wings and hungry tiger catches goat. Girl on top and lazy budda presses remote are high on the list.

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
lazy girl on top uses joystick, operates remote, pushes buttons and doesn't change controllers. :D

David Jamieson
08-29-2005, 10:21 AM
lazy girl on top uses joystick, operates remote, pushes buttons and doesn't change controllers. :D

oooh, that's some pretty advanced level stuff! :eek: I need more practice before I can attain this level of mastery! :D

As an aside, I see single whip in a few modes.

an arm break, a leg trap, a push, a throw, an evasion...it's a pretty handy dandy move.

MasterKiller
08-29-2005, 10:32 AM
reverse cowboy

Golden Tiger
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
reverse cowboy

I think you mean reverse cowgirl instead of cowboy.....or at least I hope thats what you meant.... :p

MasterKiller
08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
I think you mean reverse cowgirl instead of cowboy.....or at least I hope thats what you meant.... :p

d'oh! :eek:

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-29-2005, 01:01 PM
oooh, that's some pretty advanced level stuff! :eek: I need more practice before I can attain this level of mastery! :D

As an a55ide, I see single whip in a few modes.

an arm break, a leg trap, a push, a throw, an evasion...it's a pretty handy dandy move.

i always knew you were a switch hitter!

moving into single whip has some nice crane's neck charlie-horse striking app; same movement is a decent block. the finishing is a decent arm trap or chest side push. moving midway to out of it can be a decent open ended yin-yang hands type throw.
stroking the wild horse's mane is a fairly decent introduction to tipsy or drunken water wheel dragon claws, if done with a zhao bao influence (not erect posture), followed by a reverse yin yang claw handinto the next doosie.

Ray Pina
08-30-2005, 07:25 AM
I find Hold the Ball very useful, also Cload Hands. To me, they are interchanchable but that just be my low level misinterpretation.

But I find that structure, you see it in yi-chuan a lot, very powerful when meeting incoming force. Then Cload Hands to drop the force.

I also like the opening move of Taiji, the up and down. Most of my striking comes from that wave like movement.

David Jamieson
08-30-2005, 07:50 AM
the opening move begins the wave, the rest of the form is the ripples that move out from it.

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-30-2005, 11:34 PM
imagine you're standing with your hands in your pockets and some troll walks up to you on the street and begins deriding you for HIS lack of understanding. he and his buk sing/wing chun/tang lang bully-buddies crowd you. first you set the wave on his chin and drop the wave into his diaphram. next you 'catch the ball/yin-yang hands' him through a grab-lift throw and drop him on his head, breaking his neck.
the two remaining jump back before they start in giving you the advantage. what do you do next?

SimonM
09-01-2005, 04:09 AM
spj-

I personally find it hard to narrow down to a favourite posture. They all flow together and work together as a single piece.

Now had you said "favourite style" that would be different! It would still be "girl on top" for me :D , but taichi wise, I am and will forever be a yang player. Just a personal preference as it seems to be the style that fits me best as taichi goes.

Girl on top is a very good position. ;)

Talking Taiji Styles I'd say I prefer Chen style. However my real love in Gong Fu is for Sanshou / San Da and Shuai Jiao so I prefer to stick with Hei Long Gong Fu and Hung Gar. ;)

Becca
09-01-2005, 02:06 PM
imagine you're standing with your hands in your pockets and some troll walks up to you on the street and begins deriding you for HIS lack of understanding. he and his buk sing/wing chun/tang lang bully-buddies crowd you. first you set the wave on his chin and drop the wave into his diaphram. next you 'catch the ball/yin-yang hands' him through a grab-lift throw and drop him on his head, breaking his neck.
the two remaining jump back before they start in giving you the advantage. what do you do next?
finish them. I guess it depends on what they do. my al time favorite in that type of situation is to fall ala panther style (you know, all boneless?) then go for groin kicks.

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-01-2005, 02:08 PM
finish them. I guess it depends on what they do. my al time favorite in that type of situation is to fall ala panther style (you know, all boneless?) then go for groin kicks.

what is that? run like H3LL then turn and burn on the groin?

cookies are like good vegan steaks. don't let yer mom know...does she still have locks on the cookie cabinet? :D

mickey
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Greetings

You guys are losing your touch.

Girl on top is White Crane Spreads Wings. It is also more famously known by another name:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

mickey

metadragon
09-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Since I'm a Wing Chun guy, I like bijong / side neutral stance.

But what I REALLY like is cowgirl, reverse cowgirl and the good 'ol 'stand and hang' (my girlfriends were always pretty petite). If I'm feeling romantic, spoon! ;)

Later,

Metadragon

TenTigers
09-01-2005, 09:41 PM
I like the in between transition moves of the Yang style. Within these moves are all forms of bong,sup ji sao,etc I also like "Fair Lady works my shuttle","Holding the Balls", and when I'm lazy, heck, I'll just "Sit back and ride the Tiger" when I'm done, and she's worn out, I can "Embrace the Tiger and carry her back to the Mountin'. get'er on her back, "Part the wild horse's mane" 'cause I ain't selfish. Then she might return the favor and while she "plays the Pipa" I might "Pat the Horse".(If she ain't in the mood, she sometimes "steps back and repels the Monkey"-darn!)Sometimes. I'll just reach down and "Grasp the Bird;s Tail", but if it's in public, I might get slapped. If I'm feelin kinky, I might just bust out my "Single Whip" then after, maybe give her a soothing massage with "Cloud Hands"'Rollback" Press" and "Push"she digs that, then she nods off to sleep, and I go and "Pound the morter" one more time.

SPJ
09-01-2005, 10:12 PM
LOL;

I like the "Repulsing the monkey". or Dao Nian Ho.

SimonM
09-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't want to know why you are so fond of repulsive monkies SPJ.

:eek: :D ;)

Ok I know that was a weak joke but I just couldn't help myself.

Ronin22
09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I like:

Bloated Buddha sits on porcelain throne

Becca
09-02-2005, 02:03 PM
what is that? run like H3LL then turn and burn on the groin?

cookies are like good vegan steaks. don't let yer mom know...does she still have locks on the cookie cabinet? :D
:confused: I didn't say run. I said Panther style fall then kick the groin... Very effective against over-committed attacks... And I have no idea if my mom still locks up her cookie cabnet. I do though; my 9-year-old son would never eat a desent meal otherwise. :rolleyes: :D

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
:confused: I didn't say run. I said Panther style fall then kick the groin... Very effective against over-committed attacks... And I have no idea if my mom still locks up her cookie cabnet. I do though; my 9-year-old son would never eat a desent meal otherwise. :rolleyes: :D

make'em with soy flour and buttermilk powder from skim milk solids...they're like whey cookies. :cool:

Becca
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
make'em with soy flour and buttermilk powder from skim milk solids...they're like whey cookies. :cool:

:eek: Blach! Cookies may be sometimes food, but they aught to still be tasty. And fattening. That's just part of the joy of eating junk food. :rolleyes: :D

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Not too many cookies or it makes "girl on top" a little uncomfortable.

However, that says nothing to the improvement in the hot karl factor. :D

If you're into that sort of thing. lol

TaiChiBob
09-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Greetings..

Single whip has the most apps for a single technique.. and works effectively from "swirling hands" for a front incoming attack..

Parting wild horses mane is uniquely effective..

Fair lady works the shuttle is the most likely to be given an opportunity..

Fan through back.. for a decisive conclusion..

And:
Double-lotus for the longest and most controlled orgasms..

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
well if bob's gonna get all serious and sh1t...lol

for coolness, snake creeps down shows strength and alignment. when this is done poorly, it is reflective of not so much gong lik. imo.

golden c0ck stands on one leg repels low kicks effectively.

wave hands in clouds can trap up incoming punches nicely.

agree on single whip being a versatile technique offensively and defensively.

grasp swallows tail is a great clearing move, makes room especially if combined in application with percussive short power. Also works with long and falling powers.

anyway, most of my tai chi is from Yang, and I don't think there is anything in it that cannot be effectively applied martially. Depends on ones approach to TCC practice.

Not os boring and slow old man of an art after all. :p

TaiChiBob
09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Greetings..

:) DJ.. not too serious.. but, Snake creeps down is great training.. but, done at combat speed under pressure, my knee complains.. golden rooster stands on one leg is great defense, it also trains us to raise our knees into sensitive places..

Grasping sparrows tail was once shown to me with a stepping through with the left foot forward followed-up opening like diagonal flying with the right hand/arm while pressing the opponent's elbow into their ribs and stomach with the left hand.. interesting results..

Be well..

Ou Ji
09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
My favorite is 'standing by casket'. It's much better than 'laying in casket', which is why I train in the first place. :-)

SPJ
09-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Drunken Yang Tai Chi in the movie;

gallery (http://www.cp-donnieyen.net/images/taichi/index.htm)