PDA

View Full Version : Ba Gwa folks

8stepsifu
01-20-2001, 06:27 AM
This is probably a silly question, but is there any prefernece in circle walking to what direction you go. Most people that live really close to the earth have some degree of tabboo against walking counter clockwise (against the sun) It's not just a few, I'm talkin, Celts, Viking, Lakota, Inca, Orkney Islanders, Hopi, Inuit. I was wondering if the daoists picked up on this and if it related to chi kung some how. Of course not going counterclockwise for fighting would be impracticle, but I'm asking about just chi kung and training

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

Chris McKinley
01-20-2001, 06:44 AM
I wonder what the people who live ****her away from the Earth think? Do the guys on the Space Station do Bagua? Come to think of it, why not...talk about the ultimate in circle walking.

Seriously, different Bagua variants do it different ways. Some do it in both directions, as does my version. For purely practical reasons, this would seem to make sense, for equal coordination on both sides of the body. Also from a TCM standpoint, it would keep the gua balanced on both sides of the body, and thus avoid instilling an imbalance in Yang and Yin energies.

I'm thinking this question is gonna be one of those with no black or white concensus answer

Braden
01-20-2001, 11:25 AM
There is some theory that relates the direction you start in to the time of year, however I don't know many people that practice this.

When circlewalking, you also execute the directional changes and the practice of the 8 and 64 palms, so you will be getting both directions regardless of your intention. Besides this, it's a very good idea to exercise both ways whether you're interested in martial theory, physical exercise, or internal work.

Also, my counterclockwise walking is still much better than my clockwise walking, so I'm very sensitive to the idea of practicing both.