PDA

View Full Version : I love myself the way I am ---- Types of breathing

Hendrik
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
(In case you missed this new post of mine. Here is for shaing with you some of my perspective. Peace)

I love you - the way you are,
There's nothing you need to do ...
When I feel the love - inside myself,
It's easy to love you.
Behind your fears - your rage and tears,
I see your shining star,
And I love you - just the way you are

I love the world - the way it is,
'Cause I can clearly see,
That all the things I judge are done
By people just like me.
So till the birth of peace on earth,
That only love can bring,
I'll help it grow by loving everything......
( Louise Hay, I Love Myself The Way I Am)

Since breathing is a major component to make a different for one's kung fu.

Here I open up the topic on breathing : low abdoment and chest breathing and the relationship with Zhen Qi....

So, there are lots to understand to talk about. Breathing alone can then be briefly divided into 4 types IMHO.

#1, chest breathing.
#2, Pseudo lower abdoment breathing (still using chest)
#3, hard/forcefull lower abdoment breathing
#4, Nature flow lower abdoment breathing.

and each of them yeild different results in Heal, Training....for fajing for sensing..ect IE to cultivate Zhen Qi or soft art, for healing, Nature Flow lower abdoment breathing is a must. To be able to naturally do --- the wing chun's Comes retain, goes send it back, using silence to manage action, IMHO, Nature Flow lower abdoment breathing is needed. Thus, I have heard, To activate Zhen Qi into Dan tien, the Nature flow lower abdoment breathing is needed. A big reason Zhen Qi was not be able to activate by many of us is that we might not understand the 2,3,and 4. And even if we understand them but doesnt have a good handling on it. Because at 4 we need to listern to the nature to ride on it instead of forcing things with will. 3 is forcing with Will type and un nature in a sense.

lower Abdoment breathing means different things to different people. There are atleast two different major types and these two type generate two different types of bow as it call the hard bow and soft nature.

in addition, lots of us has still using the Chest breathing eventhough we think it is a low abdoment breathing it is not, Thus I call it Pseudo lower abdoment breathing....

To cultivate the Nature flow lower abdoment breathing, ultimately it is about the ability to silence the mind, as for tuning the breathing, that works only in a begining of the process. In additional, as it said in the old saying, " it is in the Yee, not in the breathing, in the breathing will cause stagnation.. and Breathing(and or Zhen Qi) is naturally flowing in every part of the body without stagnation even a tiny bit." This is a state of Sleep Walker where the breathing is similar to while in a great deep sleep, one doesnt feel it but it is so free, refresh, light.....
As for is it easy to get into this state? or after one attained it once can one hold on to it for ever? or how is thing will vacillating back and forth in the transition. Those all are about training and practicing and continously fine tuning, until the day we leave this planet. Intelecture understanding is certainly not enough, even one can do a Nature flow low abdoment breathing for a day after some training, that is still not means one can handle it. So, one needs to identify the differences of these type of Kung fu compare with those one can learn within a few hour and thinking one has it. This is something alive in the body.

As in the ancient time the chinese talks about Tame the Drangon and subdue the Tiger. The White Tiger is the symbolic of Breath, Zhen Qi and that is the source of one's temper. So, in order to be able to handle one's temper. One has to be able to handle one's breathing.

Then, after the Zhen Qi got activated, the more forcefull breathing will generate a stronger hotter heat which is called the Wu For or martial fire. The fine breathing will great a gentle warmer heat which is called the Wen for or the literate fire. To manage these type of heat are essential while cultivating the cosmic obit and Zhen Qi flow in the body.

World is so vast. and There are so many things we can study about what the ancients ancestors had attained, our own nature, and share and benifit everyone in our life. Without breahing for a few seconds there will be no life. But, how much do we understand our own breathing, ower own breathing with our mind and body? it is a big and deep topic which is much vast then just thoughts or result orienrated thinking. We need to understand the engine beside the programs --- different types of thinkings. For to be able to switch thinking and be able to letting go different perpective and thinking or believe or habit to open up ourself needs the foundation of be able to master our mind, body, and breathing.

We need to see the big picture and details clearly. And breathing is one important components.

SLT is done in a standing pole or Zhan Zhuang or Zee Ran Zhuang (nature standing post) where the breathing is naturally flow. Once one locks the stucture, then the design becomes a different type of design........... one might take it off the possibilities of entering the type #4 breathing. And, True Rou Jing or inch Jing or Shock Jing cannot activate fully without the #4. For there is always a hinderance in breathing and hinderance from the forcefull mind.

Zhen Qi cultivation is needed because Zhen Qi's activation in minimum serve as an indication of relax enough of mind/body/ breathig to let the flow not stagnated.

The ancient ancestors have gone very far. How far will the future generation travel down this road? That IMHO will influence the future of WCK and its daily living usefullness.

I love myself - the way I am,
And still I want to grow.
But change outside can only come,
When deep inside I know
I'm beautiful - and capable
Of being the best me I can.
And I love myself - just the way I am.
I love myself - just the way I am.

-----------------

Note:

A serious note is anyone who is over weight with beer stomach, take that off. otherwise, it is very easy to mistake #2 as #3 or #4. The Zhen Qi might get stuck in the big belly area and likely will not going down to Tan Dien as intended, for that part of the body doesnt relax and stuck. Thus, the cultivation of Zhen Qi is very difficult. and the more one force it the more one get stuck.

In this case, one can do the practice while lying on a hard floor or bed, to experience the proper lower abdoment breathing while relaxing the big belly. One might not get it with standing post without the help of the lying down practice.

So, for any reason healty living, healing, or martial art....etc, get that part of the body to shape up to get a improve fit body and improve spine alignement too. Many have paid the price so lets get a better health, since we find out more now.

Thus I have heard

1, Mind---- >Physical

2, Mind---->Breathing --- > Zhen Qi (needs to activate Zhen Qi via breathing and physical relaxation with silence/focus/Awareness mind)

3, Mind --- > Zhen Qi--------> physical (using Mind / Yee to lead Zhen Qi and let Zhen qi to transport physical in a spontaneous flow path)

Again, it is a simplified 3 level models

So it syncronize with the previous 3 level which I proposed.

1, physical structured

2, 6 directional force vectors dynamic equilibriums

3, Energy conscious Awareness

Up to now we are mostly doing level 1 and heavily rely on our raw physical (strength and speed) and utilized of physical tricks. But when something new or beyond our physical or physical tricks we collapse because there is not much Kung fu really alive within us.

One has difficulties to get Ken Geng or Short power or inch power....etc in real life usage because one is limited in Level 1, and level 1 stuffs needs a pre-set, be it in breathing or physical, it cannot be as instantaneous compare with level 2 and 3 where changing direction or corse while dynamicly or on the fly. IE: using the hip to push for power is great but one needs to have a pre-set before that hip can be used to push. or one gets into the stop breathing mode. or forcing exhale mode to tensing....etc. Thus, the breathing is no longer smoothly flow but abrupt in a not nature way.

So, one needs the Structure components, One needs the 6 Directional force Vectors components, and One needs the Energy conciousness Awareness to be able to implement a shock similar to WXZ. with the training only in the realm of level 1, it might be likely by chances to deliver some Jing but it is not a well controlled stuffs and not to say its stability.

Back to breathing. breathing, hope that the future generation now on knows what to work on.

viper
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
yes did read the article about using the rubber tube i used it for ages it does work in the end body mechaniques is what creates a power puch all timed propry with good basics and breathing be relax but not floppy be like jelly jello wateva focus just look at yip man ip shui lil lil guys pak a whalop but. when i puch i whip it wit the snap at the end but I pretend the fist is lik a weight and my arm a chain so it flowes out and snaps helps the flowq i think just a suggestion ull find what works for u

kung fu fighter
09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Good stuff Hendrik!