PDA

View Full Version : Info on Instuctor

Ronin22
08-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey all
I'm new to the forum and I have to say this place is a wealth of information. Anyway, does anyone have any info on a "Intergrated Wing Chun" Sifu named Chung K. Chow? Good teacher? What did he intergrate...etc. Thanks, appreciate it.

lawrenceofidaho
08-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Sifu Chow's old ESPY video series is pretty darn good, as far as classical wing chun goes (though, there are a few things here and there on the set which I did not feel were entirely functional). I have seen the entire (new) 8 DVD package offered fairly regularly on ebay for a little more than $100, which is a good value for all the information he shares (the entire empty hand system).

Although I was excited when I heard they came out, his new integrative wing chun series is twice as expensive and not as good, IMO. I feel there is a lot of focus on techniques which could be considered "low percentage" moves, and even some questionable advice regarding MMA type training.

For pure wing chun instruction, stick with Sifu Chow's first series, but for clinch & grappling stuff (and how to integrate it), I'd personally recommend going with something else first (assuming you have a limited budget for buying videos).

-Lawrence

Ronin22
09-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info Lawrence. I was actually asking in regards to training in his class which I have a oppertunity to do, not from videos. I guess you could get the gist of what he's like from the video and his techniques but I don't think it would fully represent the actual thing. Thanks again

lawrenceofidaho
09-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info Lawrence. I was actually asking in regards to training in his class which I have a oppertunity to do, not from videos.
Whoa!

Sorry, Bro!

Are you in living NYC long-term?

-L

Sihing73
09-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Hello,

I am a student of Sifu Chung Kwok Chow and I currently run a small class in the Philadelphia area. In my opinion, of course I am biased, it would be worthwhile to train with Sifu Chow in person at any of his classes. The NYC class would be a better choice, imho, than the Westport class.

Sifu Chow has always been very open minded and has explored several other Wing Chun Sifu and their approach to WC. He has taken things he liked and thought complimented his approach and "intergrated" them into his WC. He has modified the forms somewhat, as he saw a need to make them more applicable to the beginner. For example, we no longer have a retracting Wu Sau in the first form but instead extend the Wu. Before you say this is wrong consider that the extending Wu is found in Chum Kui.

Sifu Chow has intergrated BJJ into his approach to WC and has been focusing on groundwork a fair amount. Some of the techniques blend very well with WC while I find some others do not mix quite as cleanly. I myself prefer to "intergrate" Pekiti Tirsia and Silat into my WC. A nice thing about Sifu Chow is that he does not dictate to his students but allows us to explore and find our own way.

Sifu Chow is a very warm and open individual willing to answer any concerns you may have.

Good luck!!

Peace,

Dave

Ronin22
09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Sihing
Thanks for the info that was great. I am closer to the Wesport class but NYC is doable. I'll go down a check out a class. Thanks again.

L

I'm not living in NYC but in Southern CT which is not to far from NYC and I do go in on a regular basis.