PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Mantis & Bujutsu

blackmantis
09-03-2005, 05:16 AM
I wish to take up a Japanese martial art as I will soon be very involved in Japan. I will of course continue to practise my Tanglang Chuan but I was wondering if someone could advise me on a style that would be sufficiently different from mantis and would help my development in martial arts.

Daito Ryu is one style that sounds fairly interesting. Taijutsu has also been suggested.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

S

MightyB
09-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Do Judo.

Taijitsu would be neat because you can pretend to be a Ninja, but Judo compliments Mantis really, really well.

Plus Judo is the foundation of the MMA arts like Sambo, BJJ, and American Military Combatives. If you learn Judo, you can adapt your Mantis to a MMA setting easily.

Seriously, I wouldn't do another striking art if I was you, and Judo is more practical than traditional Ju Jitsu. There's no pretending that you're mega deadly through a simulation of self defense, you actually have to use your techniques in Randori.

Forkintheroad
09-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I would have to recomend the Bujinkan (Taijutsu), the throws are similar to mantis in that they meant to hurt an opponent, and not make it easy to breakfall, or roll out of. not to mention it's a style comprised of 9 different martial arts steming from China, Korea, and Japan (yea it takes a lifetime to understand). The art also focuses on striking, grappling, and throwing. But the throwing techniques have strikes, and the striking techniques have throws (very deceiving strikes and throws). The striking method even breaks down to striking the bone structure (mabye manipulation would be a better word), and striking the weak points (such as the muscle, and nerve centers). Crazy weapons as well, chains, chain and sickle, staffs, swords, fire and water, hand claws, concealed throwing knives, and you get to wear split toe boots. Like mantis it truly is a complete art, which emphasizes natural movement, and the triangle principle. in it's later stages it becomes very internal, and more of a feeling art, not meant just for fighting, but surviving in general. The Current Grand Master Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi has written some amazing books (Ninjutsu History and Tradition is a good start), and Stephen K Hayes has written quite a few books as well, some better then others though. In the end its the teacher, and not the art. I would check out both, and stick with what suits you.

Mega_Fist
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Personally I would do Judo as my mate Andy (Judo grandmaster) does it and he can beat ANYONE. He once wasted this guy who did boxing or something. Judo is great and has lots of cool weapons too like Judo Katana.

"the tiger is the powerfull"

EarthDragon
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Mega fist,
please no trolling on this board. We do not tolerate that here. if you feel you must be so inclinded to troll you will have to do that on the main board.

Forkintheroad
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
All or most the waza's in judo, and jujutsu are also in Ninpo (and yes at some point everything is practiced freestyle), as the Founder of jujutsu studied Shiden Fudo Ryu (one of the 9 schools). Different than Ashida Kim's Black Dragon Society Ninjitsu (which I believe to have chinese roots based on the Chi-Kung breathing exercises he uses) over the japanese roots of the Bujinkan. I'm not implying ones better than the other, as I liked quite a few of the Ashida Kim books (in fact all the ones I've read). If I'm not mistaken China had some Ninja as well only I can't remember what they where called (I've heard them refered to as Mandarin Ninja and VegaBonds but forgot the actual name), I don't believe they wern't related to the sterotypical Japanese Ninja, but I've been wrong before, probobly wrong now, most likley'll be wrong tommorow as well. If you don't mind me asking why will you become very involved in Japan? Only because some friends I have out here have been recently stationed there.

Have a good one everyone,
Forkin Theroad

wiz cool c
09-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a black belt in Bujinkan and now study judo. Go for judo 100% more practical. The training methods are more realistic and the techniques work,plus in the Bujinkan you will get a bunch of *******s who dont fight telling you how to do techniques over and over again.

neit
09-08-2005, 11:29 PM
i take it "involved" means you are moving to japan?

neit
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
anyways, since you already have experience in a well rounded style you might enjoy something really specific. sport judo, a weapon style, whatever floats your boat.