PDA

View Full Version : 7* hand set vids

shirkers1
09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's a couple of quick vids of 7* empty hand sets. Once again recorded from the tv so please excuse the video quality.

http://media.putfile.com/laan-dzeed- here to watch laan-dzeed-

laan dzeed by mike biggie, not too fast.. not too slow, just for video referance.

http://media.putfile.com/sub-baad-sou

sub baad sou by me, run through fairly slow. My foot stuck about half way through, always fun. :D Recorded around midnight after a full day of training..

http://media.putfile.com/bung-bo

bung bo by me, once again run through fairly slow. I've made some improvements since recording these. Had some touch up work. ;) Recorded around midnight after a full day of training.

shirkers1
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Sorry fixed the biggie link, had something wrong with the code. You should be able to view it now. :)

yu shan
09-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Shirkers

Thanks for having the guts to put video up for all to see. It is fascinating to see how the forms are played, and sometimes differently. Anyway, when the dvd of the gathering comes out you will be seeing me do our version of bengbu. :eek:

It was particularly nice to see Mike Biggie.

shirkers1
09-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Well for me I know it's a moment in time and that's all. Whether good or bad, that moment wasn't the greatest but it's all I have to show. ;) What's the big deal, most understand that it doesn't really represent someones full abilities. Some people are horrible performers but that doesn't mean they can't fight with what they train. Some are great performers but that's about it. I like to see the differences in styles even though they're the same forms. So I'd love for more to put up some vids of themselves. The boards have been rather slow so I thought I'd try to get some talk going. Doesn't seem to be working though..

You guys looked good doing your forms, so don't worry so much. There were worse performances there, mine mainly. :D

yu shan
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Yep, I`ve seen form performers that could not fight worth a sh*t. And then there are the fighters that either did not like forms or could not execute them well. I had a student approach me just last week apologizing for his poor performance while training forms. But I tell you, this guy is tough as they come when it comes to partnered drills, ling forms or fighting. We are drill based, so he is in his prime during this time of the class, which is most of class. Fellow students and myself have the bruises to prove it.

For the record Shirkers, I don`t give a GD what folks think about my forms. I do them to my best ability and try to coach these with the utmost quality. I`m in the middle of breaking down bengbu again, started seeing some sloppiness.

Cheers

JacobHaley
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
What codec were these vids recorded in? I see the image but the colors are all messed up. thanks!

shirkers1
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
What codec were these vids recorded in? I see the image but the colors are all messed up. thanks!

If you read the first part I explain it... I don't have the ability to go from VHS to hardrive yet, but I have an editing software deal on my computer that I wanted to try out. So I just literally played the vhs tape and recorded it with the digital cam. So what you're seeing is the tv screen, so it's all pixilated and has the lines that the camera pics up.. Poor quality but it's the best I can do for now.

JacobHaley
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Sorry, but that is not my issue. I can see the video, but the colors are completely wrong, its like looking at film negative. I was just wondering what you used to create the video so I could get the right codec.

shirkers1
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Sorry, but that is not my issue. I can see the video, but the colors are completely wrong, its like looking at film negative. I was just wondering what you used to create the video so I could get the right codec.

Hmm sorry about that. I used a windows media movie maker to edit it so I'm guessing it's a windows media codec. I'm at work now so I can't give you the exact name. But I know it's a windows one.

hope that helps a little.

mantis108
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Thank you very much in sharing the clips. It's great to put a face and performance to a name. I am very glad to see Sifu Mike Biggie in action. I persume the Lanjie form is from WHF's side of things or am I way of the mark here? Sifu Biggie's version is structured quite closely to most of the Great Meihwa Line's Luanjie/lanjie as far as I am aware. I believe the distinct HK 7 Star flavor is there. It is nicely done IMHO. My compliments and regards to Sifu Biggie. Also, my sincere thank to both of you for sharing with the community.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Ou Ji
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Windows Media Video 9 CODEC although when rendered in Gspot it reports a partial failure "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format".

I only checked the Lan Jeet video but I'm sure they're all the same. I can play them with Media Player 9.

shirkers1
09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Thank you very much in sharing the clips. It's great to put a face and performance to a name. I am very glad to see Sifu Mike Biggie in action. I persume the Lanjie form is from WHF's side of things or am I way of the mark here? Sifu Biggie's version is structured quite closely to most of the Great Meihwa Line's Luanjie/lanjie as far as I am aware. I believe the distinct HK 7 Star flavor is there. It is nicely done IMHO. My compliments and regards to Sifu Biggie. Also, my sincere thank to both of you for sharing with the community.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Thanks for the thumbs up.. :)

Yes indeed HK 7* WHF lineage.

Sifu Darkfist
09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
old school mantis practitioners fight well and perform well. The athleticism needed to do both is commendable. I have only had brief conversations with my contemporary, sifu Biggie and have witnessed his forms he does project power as seen in this video. Far too many people critique without first hand experience, it seems rampant in todays martial srts community. There are a couple of forms that can judge your ability to project power and withstand conflict. Conflict that can be trained through 2 man training as well.
I also do 80 percent hand to hand, 20 percent forms. However that 20 percent is in your face training, and i expect over 100 per cent in all activities from all of my students or they can go home (i have the luxury of choosing students due to my philosophy). I live to teach not teach to live. i would also like to add that my best fighter had extreme form difficulties as well but overcame them and i suspect will be bringing in as many golds as he wishes in form competition. forms are a rating of athleticism and anarobic ability (if played at combat speed and taken very seriously). Likewise, athleticism and anarobic ability, both represent reliable indicators of a combatants overall usefullness.

El Tejon
09-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Have you tried taking off your shirt and wearing a studded belt to help your performance? :D