PDA

View Full Version : Cross training with Tai Chi yes or no?

SPJ
09-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Due to demands from the people across the states,

Even the karate school is offering Tai Chi lessons as an attraction to recruite a class.

However, Tai Chi is not slow karate or karate in slow motion.

Comments?

:confused:

Ou Ji
09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
It's funny but to survive it seems they have to offer every but karate/kung fu. They need something to pay the bills so they can teach the 3 or 4 serious students.

cam
09-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Cross train Tai Chi with any other MA?
I actually asked that question years ago on a different forum. All the responces were positive, various reasons as to why it was a good idea were given to me. All but one, this one man said if you wished to achieve any kind of skill it would be a mistake and it would be counter-productive in learning either art past a beginners level. After training with him for 3 yrs. I understand his point.

HearWa
09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Yes, I read the October issue of Inside Kung Fu too! :P

Yum Cha
09-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Some schools offer Yoga as well as martial arts.

Bet I could beat a Yogi.... :D

greensage22
10-05-2005, 03:37 PM
yoga is good for flexability, tai chi is good for health.
if a student wants to attend either to improve his/or her
flexability or health that is fine. the hardest thing is
to keep your form from adopting any habits from these sessions
if all you want to learn is karate and its way of life, then simply don't
attend these other classes, devote yourself, and there is nothing to worry about.

Fallout
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.ilram.com/M_taichimasters.mov

bamboo_ leaf
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
is the same teacher teaching both arts?

if so it probbly doesnt matter as to what he calls it because its not taiji, only the shell if that. as to weather it would be a good thing. in word no.

if not it might allow a student to feel what is differnt and then chose a path that fits them.

very differnt ideas and methods regardless of weather its taught from a health only perspective or not. it would and does lead to confusion among those training, for those teaching they are probbly confused anyway to late for them.

if they need to pay bills there is always cardio kick boxing or arobics ;)