PDA

View Full Version : coach ross's lama site

htowndragon
09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
coach ross, who is the hop gar guy on your site in the forms as well as application pics?

Ben Gash
09-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Which site are you referring to? I can only find his Sanda page and the text based tibetian kung fu one. BTW, you've lost some serious poundage in the last few years Sifu Ross, well done.

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 05:29 AM
former fat ass turned san da coach in a popular nyc san da club.

That's some street cred. More than 7*.
&, I think you'll practically have to behead Osamam Bin Laden personally to get the same street cred as dave now. :p

Ben Gash
09-08-2005, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't expect a skinny runt such as yourself to appreciate the trials of the more "soft edged" martial artists among us Kung Lek :p

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 06:15 AM
skinny??! I wish. lol

Oh wait, ...

nevermind.

fwiw, I am 5'10" 175 lbs

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 06:16 AM
I also like walks in the park and sunsets on the beach, :p

EarthDragon
09-08-2005, 07:03 AM
well those who cant fight coach........... LOL

I realy shouldnt say that I dont really know the guy, just what I have heard.

lkfmdc
09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
The lama site is at www.LamaKungFu.org

Do you mean the guy doing the Dat Mo set? I will have to look up his name.... and actually, the guy doing the set is a student, the author is a different guy, much older

I had a very serious injury involving three rotator cuff tears, 2 in one shoulder, one in the other. Despite 18 months of PT and 3 "famous doctors" they did very little for me and it was hard to work out... that and I was married, had a full time job and was going to school full time (PhD). Try that and see how wonderfully in shape you are.... I got some herbal injections smuggled in from China and finally fixed my shoulder. I am now around 180 lbs....

Earth Dragon once again raises his ignorant head... :rolleyes: We've been through this before, if you are ever in NYC come on down and we can spar... or enter the US Open San Da Championships on December 10th and show off YOUR stuff...

Kung Lek isn't even worth bothering with, even with his new fake screen name

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm not worth bothering with because people feel bad when they beat me and they feel worse when they're beaten by me. :p

And my fake screen name is the coolest, I think you should do it too!
But maybe put "Darth" in front of it for some effect.

Ben Gash
09-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Ah, for me it was a neck injury sustained in a submission competition :( Oh, and being married ;) Did I mention that my wife makes the BEST desserts?

EarthDragon
09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Ross....... LOl you said.......that and I was married, had a full time job and was going to school full time (PhD). Try that and see how wonderfully in shape you are.... I got some herbal injections smuggled in from China and finally fixed my shoulder. I am now around 180 lbs....

so now your making up excuses about your weight problem????? I dont really think that's neccesary........ Just lay off the fast food for a while.

just a note...... you blow your own horn so loudly no one but yourself can hear it.

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Mike and Dave should fight.

Grand prize:

for Mike - he gets his keys back

for Dave- Mike has to study San Da with him for one year.

:D

FatherDog
09-08-2005, 09:14 AM
for Mike - he gets his keys back

Kung Lek has just made this thread worthwhile.

Brad
09-08-2005, 09:21 AM
180 lbs = wieght problem? :confused: :(

David Jamieson
09-08-2005, 09:23 AM
180 lbs = wieght problem? :confused: :(

only if you need to be 10 lbs lighter so you can fight in your preferred weight class.

Ben Gash
09-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Um, how has this gone from me complimenting him on losing weight to him being accused of making excuses for being overweight? :confused:

lkfmdc
09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Earth Dragon has reading comprehension problems, so he can't understand a simple post....

So, no, 5' 8" and 180 lbs hardly equals a "weight problem".... and as for my conditioning, with my shoulders fixed I work out about 2 to 4 hours a day 6 days a week... that's probably more than most....

Ou Ji
09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
It's not so bad. Oh wait, I thought it said 'coach ross's lame site'. Nevermind. :D

TenTigers
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Last year I walked into BLT and Ah-Sahm said, "Ah-Lik-ahh you look like your Sifu!"
That was it. I dropped 15 lbs and two pants sizes. (from over 200 to 185)
Hint-for those of us with Chinese wives, unplug the din fan bo.!
But it is very hard. My OL is an amazing cook, and I also love to cook. She makes salmon in black bean sauce to die for, the most amazing pork chops in oyster sauce, absolutely phenomenal bak jahm gai. None of it is fattening, but I just can't stop myself from eating more. Of course when I cook, it's eggs benedict, broiled catfish stuffed with cornbread and crawfish and crabmeat,-my own recipe, I also make a catfish /corn chowder along the same lines, and loads of venison stews. Forgetaboutit-when it's Thanksgiving-we both go wild-she makes a roast turkey with oyster sauce, I make my Grandmother;;s stuffing-matzoh meal,onions,two different kinds of mushrooms,(she squirts in ho-yao, when I turn my back) I love to cook and I love to eat. Oh yeah, and rice, rice, rice at every meal. (freakin rice porridge (jook) for breakfast-fer cryin out loud!) RICE IS THE DEVIL!
That being said, for the past year, every morning six egg whites,a half cup of oatmeal and water, and coffee.
Lunch-Chicken breast on whole wheat-lite mayo,water
dinner, salad made with baby spinach,carrots, broccalli slaw,and a can of tuna=with either virgin olive oil and garlic, balsmic vinegar, or Ken's lite ceasar-water
snack are fresh fruit,yoghurt, and a protien shake made from designer whey and 99%chocolate Lactaid milk-oh, did I mention water?
and NO F***IN RICE!
One day a week I have a cheat day-then it's Miller Time (ok Tsing Tao Time)
(F**K WATER! I'm SICK of water! Where's the beer!)
just a little rice with dinner.
I run 3 times a week-(now every day-my 30th reunion is in a week,)
and weight train 4 days a week, besides teaching 5 classes a day
Fridays I play SPM , Saturdays I hang out at the Buk Sing Gwoon
Dave, I know it ain't easy, so you have my respect-and sympathies!
-but don't it feel great to be in better shape tha people half your age!
I'm 48 and I run circles around people in their 20's
So..Dave-what is your diet'exercise program that you used? Mine was based on Body For Life.

lkfmdc
09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, this thread is way off topic now :eek:

For me, it was a matter of simply being able to work out again, two bad shoulders and I couldn't really do jack shiite

I work with my students 6 days a week, holding pads, sparring, rolling, drilling. I life again (light weight, high rep) and back to the old body weight regime that Karl Gotch developed....

My diet isn't really changed, maybe less rice and noodles, but I eat plenty and eat well....

Lama Pai Sifu
09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Rick, let me know when you are hanging out with CLF guys and I'll tag along! Where is the school?

TenTigers
09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi Mike,
E-mail me and I'll give you what info I can.
But as far as I know, it isn't open to the public.

htowndragon
09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
are all the hop gar guys related to GM harry ng?

hasayfu
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
OK, going Waay off topic but TT brought it up.

I too lost a bit of weight by going on South Beach. It took out rice and Soda. So there is some merit to the carb thing.

That said, I just came back from asia and the majority of people there eat meals that are 85% carbs. Rice, noodles, sugars... AND they are mainly skinny! So what gives?

In Malaysia, I noticed that there seem to be more overweight people now then in previous years (especially women). Now they have had this high carb diet for centuries and fast food restaurants have been there for over 25 years so that's not the main culprit. What I noticed though, western cake shops have popped up everywhere. In my neighborhood, there are three cake shops/cafes when two years ago there were none. Starbucks are everywhere.

So I blame the western desserts on the weight issue. Not sure it maps to the US because we don't walk as much nor live in the constant heat but an interesting observation none the less.

As an aside, I ate everything in sight. I also walked a lot and worked out. When I came back I had not gained a pound. Then my cousin got married and we had a bunch of chinese banquets with all the relatives in town and I gained 3.5 lbs in 5 days :(

Ben Gash
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, see how come you rarely see a fat Thai, but if I eat Thai food for a week I pile it on? :confused:
However as David Ross said, training more is the key. When I visit my Sifu, I pig out on the North American diet, but I lose weight through the 6 hours a day of training.

TenTigers
09-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm with Ben and David on this. I go down to Puerto Rico to visit my student , Sifu David Gonzales. When I stay at his home, it's rice and beans,yucca,plantain, avacado, you name it. But we work and sweat all day, and it's just a clean fuel source for me. I end up losing weight anyway.

SifuAbel
09-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Earth Dragon has reading comprehension problems, so he can't understand a simple post....

So, no, 5' 8" and 180 lbs hardly equals a "weight problem".... and as for my conditioning, with my shoulders fixed I work out about 2 to 4 hours a day 6 days a week... that's probably more than most....

I have to agree, 180 is good for our height. As long as its all muscle. :D

here's me at 205.

lkfmdc
09-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Sadly, another thing to remember is that the US is the land of two twin evils

1. Over sized portions

and

2. Highly processed and sweetened food.

If you were eating Thai food in Thailand, you wouldn't get fat. But what you eat here in the name "Thai food" has been processed, sweetened and also is about 4x the portion you'd eat in Thailand.

In the US, Chinese food is fried, lard is added, etc etc... When I was in Shanghai a few years ago, I was eating rice cakes and steamed Shao Lung bao, but LOST weight...

But enough ranting for now.....

SifuAbel
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Oddly, this was a piece of conversation in my house this week. My better half's folks owned a chinese restaurant. She says that the lo mein usually got a laddel full of grease on top after it was done to give it that sheen people like so much. YUCK!!!

Ben Gash
09-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Yeah, but why do people like it so much? And WHO actually does, 'cause most people I talk to don't. It actually drastically reduces the amount of Chinese food we eat which is a shame, because I really love good Chinese.

Ben Gash
09-09-2005, 03:00 AM
and I won't scare you all with a picture of me at 225 :) (I am 6'3" though)

David Jamieson
09-09-2005, 05:17 AM
any good cook would know that the sheen on chinese food isn't from grease, it's from hot water and tapioca starch mix.

seriously, that's how it's done and people using grease....you are second rate chefs if that's your technique. :p

portions, over processed food, over eating and so on...these are a problem with the north american diet and contribute greatly to the nation with the fat ass.

1 in 4 is obese in North America. A little Kungfu and a change of diet would bring that number down.

TenTigers
09-09-2005, 07:22 AM
1 in 4 Americans are obese. mostly children. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm 48, and when Iwas in elementary school and High School, there was like ONE fat kid in the grade. ONE!! And everybody remembers that one kid.
I do demos in schools and I see a heckuva lot of fat kids, and David is right on target. It amazes me. Another thing, my school is in an impovershed Latino neighborhood (more like on the fringe) and the weird thing is, I would have to say about 90% of the females here are overweight. Not extremely obese, but they are all chunky. If there is one that is not, she stands out like a sore thumb.
(Ok, I notice these things-it's a guy thing, what can I tell ya?)
David Ross is right, our portions are way, way out of proportion. Look atthe way we eat-meat takes up the entire plate, and vegies are referred to as a side dish, and many don't even eat them. When I go to a place like TGIFriday's, I order an extra serving of vegies, because they give you like four stringbeans and a slice of zucchinni. Ridiculous. On the American table, we are really big on Mom's saying,"Now, you're not leaving this table until you've finished everything on your plate, young man!" and, "Seconds, anyone?" We keep the serving plate on the table, and keep going back for more. It would be better to serve individual portions, and put the food in the tupperware in the fridge.
Of course, in a Chinese household, we eat family style, and the same when we eat out, so it is indeed tempting, and we tend to over order as well. That's the other problem. Food tastes so **** good! I remember growing up, my mom wasn't a great cook. She became an excellent cook, but it was after years of experimenting and trying new ideas. We didn't ask for seconds.

PangQuan
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
lazy people with no actual will power...

i eat anything i want, when ever i want, and as much as i want. have been this way for my entire life. my weight hovers between 170- 175 for the past many years. (5'10)

its surely a proper amount of exersize that keeps this in check. I have always been physically active in one way or another since i was able to move. people who dont do things will get fat, unless they are blessed with a high metabolism.

people are supposed to work, and work hard. hunter gatherer, and all that stone age jazz.

Its my thinking that by the time you reach your 1/3 way mark in years, if you have not established a good physical routine to keep you fit, its just going to be that much harder to get in good shape. its like picking up all that slack youve just let slide for so many years.

this is most people with weight problems.