PDA

View Full Version : Best Choice?

Ozihn
10-20-2001, 06:33 AM
I live in centralIillinois :(. These are the 2 closest school that teach Kung-Fu (the ones i could find at least) and I would appreciate your guys input on which seems better and most likely to teach best. Thanks :D

www.dynamicwingtsun.com (http://www.dynamicwingtsun.com)
http://www.blue.icestorm.net/bestacademy

[This message was edited by Ozihn on 10-20-01 at 10:04 PM.]

Xebsball
10-20-2001, 07:25 AM
I'd go for the Wing Chun one.
I really dont like the title "Best Academy of Martial Arts". It says that the teacher is a 10th Degree Black Belt, wich could make sense if your thinking about Karate, but there is no such thing as 10th degree bb on Shaolin Kung Fu that he claims to teach.

-------------------------
"You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
Master Deltoo
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

Kung Lek
10-20-2001, 07:39 AM
Door number three! Door Number Three! -- What's behind door number three Johhny?

It's a Braaaaaand new gasoline powered turtle neck sweater! :D (thank you George Carlin)

Go where you feel comfortable, and where you can afford.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

dedalus
10-20-2001, 08:29 AM
You may save yourself time and money in the long run by travelling to a good school that is further away.

The wing tsun school will probably teach you to fight if it doesn't bore you to death with politics.

dedalus
10-20-2001, 08:47 AM
Incidentally, some of the very best schools are deliberately hard to find.

Ozihn
10-22-2001, 06:18 AM
I sent him an e-mail asking about his linage this was his reply. Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your interest in our classes.

Here's my formal lineage:

Ng Mui ==> Yim Wing Tsun ==> Leung Bok Chau ==> Leung Lan Kwai ==> Wong Wah Bo ==> Leung Yee Tei ==> Leung Jan ==> Chan Wah Shun and Leung Bik ==> Yip Man ==> Leung Ting ==> Mike Adams

I am a direct student of Great Grandmaster Dr. Leung Ting of Hong Kong, the last closed-door disciple of the late Grandmaster Yip Man (Bruce Lee's instructor).

I've been doing WingTsun since Si-Fu Leung Ting first came to the USA in 1980. I'm the most senior WingTsun instructor west of the Mississipi River, and one of the most senior in North America. I also sit on the Board of Directors of the International WingTsun Association, North American Section

<http://www.leungtingwingtsun.net/contact.html>

which is the American branch of GGM Leung Ting's IWTA, the world's largest Chinese martial arts organization, with branches in 64 countries.

We bring Si-Fu Leung Ting in several times a year from Hong Kong to teach the senior students and instructors as well, so there are some really excellent training opportunities.

I started teaching in Illinois in 1988, and we now have classes in the Chicago suburbs (Lisle and Wheeling) and Central Illinois (Bloomington-Normal and Pontiac). Since
I'm originally from Illinois, and so is my wife, we're pretty much settled down here for the rest of our lives, which means the classes are stable and ongoing. The class sizes tend to be small (5-15 people), with lots of personal
attention.

If you let me know which class is nearest to you, I'll be happy to send directions and you can come by and watch or try a class and see what you think!

You're welcome,

Sifu Mike

Sound good? Because through vigorous searching i found one in the same city but has no website :(

DrunkenMonkey
10-22-2001, 06:44 AM
Sound interesting. The guy seems a little proud, but I suppose he has the right to, from the credentials that he has told you of himself.

Might want to research those associations and that that "last close-door disciple" first to make sure he's not lying or anything.

Check him out, if there is a school within reasonable distance to you, I would go and see how it is.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Ozihn
10-22-2001, 06:50 AM
Hrmm, apparently Leung Ting (mike adams sifu) falsly named himself "head of wing chun" or some such :eek: but then took it back.

[This message was edited by Ozihn on 10-22-01 at 10:00 PM.]

dedalus
10-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Every living wing chun grandmaster claims to hold the official lineage. Don't worry about it. The important questions are whether or not the instructor can fight, and whether or not he can teach you to do the same. Go take a look.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-22-2001, 03:14 PM
Don't now there Kungy, but why don't we ask our beautiful young assistant?

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

shaolinboxer
10-22-2001, 03:40 PM
Re: The Wing Chun School

"Perhaps future generations will tell stories about your skill!"

Hmmm...sounds like a nice promo for your typical kung fu cult. Probably an ok choice if your head is screwed on straight and you avoid sifu worship.

Re: Karate School

First of all, real 10th degree black belts are EXTREMELY rare. There are probably one or maybe two in each major style. This guy is a liar, although again you may be able to learn something from him if you ignore what he says and watch what he does.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat