PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the Anus (Not kidding)

olkat314
01-25-2001, 04:38 PM
Couple of questions regarding this practice:

1) What purpose does anus lifting (or rather, Huiyin cavity) have?
2) In what cases or practices should one do it?
3) Should breathe in be a lift, and a breathe out a relax?

All information, within and beyond the scope of the above questions are appreciated.

Tak

count
01-25-2001, 05:29 PM
olkat314,

I'm glad you brought this question over here. I was going to suggest that to you in the kung fu section that you would get better answers here. From your question I am going to take some asumptions to answer you.

It sounds to me like you are n ew to kung fu and you have found a good teacher and intend to practice real kung fu. Listen to your teacher and you will gain the benefits of what he/she is teaching.

This point is at the center of the macro cosmic orbit and should be focused on say duri ng stance training, breath training, circle walking and, well anytime you are training that you feel you can use it. If you are doing this in horse stance, make sure your knees point in not out and tuck in your tail and hips. It allows for the opening and closing. Eventually it becomes a natural part of breathing. It's overall health and strengthening benefits are probably to long to mention in this forum but if you practice it you will feel the benefits. I'm sure others here can add to this.

Yes tensing on inhale relaxing on exhale but the tensing should be no more pressure than the blinking of your eye. Griping the ground with your toes will also help pull your center down.

By the way, I did not practice this so much in praying mantis. I notice this is what you are interested in. It's not a focus for most external styles. Maybe during stance training a bit. I grew up in Chicago and I was wondering who you were studying with? I know a few excellent internal teachers there.

01-25-2001, 05:36 PM
When it comes to lifting the anus i like to do about 10 sets of 30 reps each followed by deadlifts and then squats. This tends to give me a firm, tone anus.

SubJee

olkat314
01-25-2001, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, but:

1) you should think about the cavity. But shouldn't the yi (intention) be in the dan tien as well? And my follow up questions is -- what's the purpose of the yi there?

2) A more correct description would be lifting the perinium. Any suggestions on how to achieve that (ie sensations felt, what muscles pulled).

Thanks

Tak

brucelee2
01-25-2001, 11:46 PM
According to my Bagua teacher the anus should always be slightly lifted while circle walking and also while doing standing meditation/embracing the tree.

maoshan
01-26-2001, 08:33 AM
Greetings guy,
From my understanding, the anus like the toung
at the roof of the mouth helps open and close the
curcuit, but it's used in counjunction with reverse breathing, i'm not aware of it being used with natural breathing.

As for when to do it?
Only after natural breathing is perfected.

The correct method of reverse breathing is,
slightly contract the diaphram while lifting the anus. on the exhale release the anus and expand
the diaphram.

As the count said, i'm unaware of this type of method being used by external styles. so be careful, incorrect practice can bring bad side effects which differ from person to person.

Hope this helps

Peace
Maoshan