PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

SYKFANALLDAY
09-08-2005, 08:26 PM
First of all I'd like to say hello to the forum members. I am a new member as of today, and I would like to learn new ideas, and concepts from many of the old timers here.I've been studying many various styles starting when i was 15, but was interested in probably learning a southern style now. I'm in pretty good shape :D and can appreciate a strong aggressive style. I've checked out a few Tsai Li Fo sights as well as some Hung Kuen ones. Even some Ving Tsun sights, and I am a little confused to which style would be best for me.

I have noticed a few of you here are from different southern styles, and was wondering if you can give me a synopsis of why I may take a interest in any of these south China systems.

Pls, forgive my ignorance, I just have never studied a true traditional system.

Remember to "EAT RICE" :D

Chief Fox
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I can't offer up any advice but Welcome. It must be great to live in a part of the country where you have so much to choose from. Good luck in your search.

PlumDragon
09-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Welcome!

The main difference I see in southern vs northern styles is range. Southern styles, like wing chun, 5 ancestor, bak mei all utilize more squared stances and clo-quarters fighting. Norther styles, like long fist (chang quan), northern shaolin, etc seem to hold a more sidways stance and fight a bit further out.

Some also claim that there is a progression in external vs internal, that southern styles start out more external, northern more internal, and they both end up in the same place. I cant say that this has necessarily been my experience though.

Personally, I rather enjoy southern systems and close-quarters fighting. It seems to utilize more "shock power" and to me, it feels more hardcore "in your face"...The more squared stance seem tougher and I feel more comfortable when sparring. Hope this helps...

hskwarrior
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
What is SYKFAN? i know "all day" but how do you pronounce that?

Regardless, hope your experience here on the forum doesn't get too crazy. it can do that around here.

personally, i like the southern styles because of the fighting mentality. Choy Lee Fut seems to suit me just fine. although i've played (meaning sparred) with other styles such as wing chun, tkd.

peace

CLFNole
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Sik Fan - Eat Rice.