PDA

View Full Version : Pak Hok Pai

JamesC
09-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Can anyone give me some info on this style? I don't know much about it other than it is a White Crane style.

I've just recently found a private school that is forty-five minutes from my home and I'm very interested. I say private because he doesn't advertise in any way. He doesn't even have the number in the phone book. I only found it because I saw his name on another forum.

Anyways, he is listed on the Pak Hok Pai Phillipines website. He seems very legit and a genuinely nice guy. He said that they do a lot of sparring and conditioning drills. I'm going to check it out on Monday.

Any info would be nice. Thanks guys.

Mulong
09-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Within Southern Chinese martial arts, you have two categories of style, which refer to themselves as Crane Boxing (hequan/hohk kyuhn). However, the similarities stop there.

The most popular style in the west is White Crane Boxing (baihequan/baahk hohk kyuhn), which ancestry traces back to Tibet, where it was refer to as Lion Roar or Lama. However, when it arrived into Guangdong, it divided itself two more groups:

• Hahp Ga Kyuhn/hejiaquan
• Baahk Hohk Kyuhn/baihequan

The next group, which is starting to get inroad in the west is Crane Boxing (hequan/hohk kyuhn), which ancestry traces back to Fujian, where it is divided into characteristic grouping:

• Zonghequan/jung hohk kyuhn (ancestor crane boxing)
• Shihequan/sihk hohk kyuhn (eating crane boxing)
• Minghequan/mihng hohk kyuhn (shouting crane boxing)
• Feihequan/fei hohk kyuhn (flying crane boxing)
• Suhequan/suk hohk kyuhn (sleeping crane boxing

Possibly, your Shifu/Sifuh (follow teacher) teaches one of Fujian styles of crane boxing; however, if you like, politely ask your Shifu the history of your style, which will give you a better insight.

JamesC
09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
The name of his school is Integrated Sino-Tibetan Martial Arts.

What can I expect as far as the class goes? Long range style? Evasive footwork?

Any unique drills?

Mulong
09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Interesting, then you must be doing the what is commonly refer to as Guangdong version, i.e., Lama. Therefore, you will see a lot of long range techniques and evasive footwork; however, it does posses short range techniques, high kicks, qinna (seize control), and shuai (throwing-down).

Indeed, it possess unique drills. ;)

JamesC
09-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot Mulong. I appreciate your help.

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Within Southern Chinese martial arts, you have two categories of style, which refer to themselves as Crane Boxing (hequan/hohk kyuhn). However, the similarities stop there.

The most popular style in the west is White Crane Boxing (baihequan/baahk hohk kyuhn), which ancestry traces back to Tibet, where it was refer to as Lion Roar or Lama. However, when it arrived into Guangdong, it divided itself two more groups:

• Hahp Ga Kyuhn/hejiaquan
• Baahk Hohk Kyuhn/baihequan

The next group, which is starting to get inroad in the west is Crane Boxing (hequan/hohk kyuhn), which ancestry traces back to Fujian, where it is divided into characteristic grouping:

• Zonghequan/jung hohk kyuhn (ancestor crane boxing)
• Shihequan/sihk hohk kyuhn (eating crane boxing)
• Minghequan/mihng hohk kyuhn (shouting crane boxing)
• Feihequan/fei hohk kyuhn (flying crane boxing)
• Suhequan/suk hohk kyuhn (sleeping crane boxing

Possibly, your Shifu/Sifuh (follow teacher) teaches one of Fujian styles of crane boxing; however, if you like, politely ask your Shifu the history of your style, which will give you a better insight.

wow. nice lecture. did you get that from your sigung?

Mulong
09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Wishing you the best James...

JamesC
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
So I had my first lesson tonight.

I have to say that it was the hardest thing i've ever done. It was harder than any of the training i've had in Muay Thai or Jun Fan.

We did nothing but conditioning the entire class. He basically set me through a testing phase the entire time.( I didn't know it was a test until afterward)

We sat in a horse stance while doing wrist and arm strengthening. After thirty minutes of arms, we went to the leg training. We practiced the Iron Horse and the Taming the Tiger Stance( I can't remember the name he called it, but it was different).

Fortunately, he said that I lasted longer than most people do without stopping to rest.

Anyway, it was a blast.

Gru Bianca
09-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Dear JamesC,

Is it possible to know the name of the Sifu teaching Bakhokpai in that school?

Thanks.

Regards,

Luca

Mulong
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
James,

You are developing your foundation, i.e., footwork; hence, take warm baths, because your legs will be hurting for a while.

JamesC
09-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Well I wish I would have thought about the warm bath earlier... My legs are killing me.

He did tell me to drink a lot of water and take some ibuprofen since they are anti-inflammatory. I have class again tomorrow. I might have to get some bengay. Heh...

JamesC
09-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Gru Bianca, check your PM's.

Gru Bianca
09-14-2005, 04:59 AM
JamesC,

I've replied to your PM. Hope u got it.

Ciao
Luca

Ben Gash
09-14-2005, 06:37 AM
I don't know about the states, but Fujian crane is WAY more common here than the tibetian styles.

JamesC
09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
That seems to be the same case here Ben. I'm beginning to realize just how lucky I am.