PDA

View Full Version : OT (sort of): Internet Trolls

Mel
09-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, I'm new. But I've seen a lot of it around here. I would like to direct you all to this site: trolls (http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm) . This is an excellent site that should, I hope, clear things up a bit around here.

Simon, I am particularly thinking of you (though others too) as I write this because I usually enjoy reading your posts, and I note that lately you have been plagued by trolling. I hope this helps.

I hate seeing good threads die out because of some jack off.

SPJ
09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
One hand clapping.

So it takes 2 to tango.

Post some info. Express opinions based on references or experiences.

Others may also express opinions.

The main thing is that you cannot convince or convert somebody into your camp via posts. So why bother.

Post some info or some food or fruits for thoughts.

:D

SPJ
09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
The only way to put out a flame is not to add any more fuels.

So dun give any bait to the trolls.

Or show them the mirror.

There is an old Chinese story. There was a very scary ghost that was harassing the villagers. There was no way to get rid of him.

So the Daoist priest showed up. When the ghost appeared, the priest used the mirror. The ghost scared by his own image and never returned.

There are 2 levels of meaninings.

1. Use the same method and return the favors back to them.

2. We always have to examine ourself, so that we do not become ghosts ourself. Or look like one to the other.

:D

SimonM
09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, I'm new. But I've seen a lot of it around here. I would like to direct you all to this site: trolls (http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm) . This is an excellent site that should, I hope, clear things up a bit around here.

Simon, I am particularly thinking of you (though others too) as I write this because I usually enjoy reading your posts, and I note that lately you have been plagued by trolling. I hope this helps.

I hate seeing good threads die out because of some jack off.

Good point Mel. And I do understand. Sometimes Trolls get to me is all. I always try to use the internet quite sincerely. I don't lie (EG: I'm fat, I've said that on multiple occasions), I try to avoid exaggeration and I really try to make my communication on these boards pleasant. I'm also a relatively passionate person who tends to wear his heart on his sleeve. Trolls are essentially everything I dislike about internet communication. I'd rather talk to ten people who passionately and honestly disagree with me about politics, religion or martial arts than have to put up with one troll. In other words I'm a prime target for trolls. I know it. I've known it for a long time. However sometimes when I am under stress I let my feelings get the better of me and I berate these... personae... see, I'm trying to be controlled, I didn't swear or curse or insult.

I have been under stress this week. I just started a new career, I just started a new Gong Fu class and to top it all off I have a cold. I've let these two personae get under my skin. I'll try and rein it back. Thanks for the heads up. :)

GeneChing
09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
My favorite quote there is "You can't have a picnic without ants." I got ants at home. I'm anti-ant. I'm at war with the ants. My family, who tends to be way to compassionate, and my wife, who abhors any toxins in the house, make it more challenging for my anti-ant campaign. That being said, combating ants without ant spray is much less difficult than trolls.

My only weapon, as a self-confessed adminstrator/dictator, is banning, but banning is really only a token gesture. A good hacker can hack into websites. A mediocre banned member can get around a ban. So it's more of a psych ops deal to rid yourself of trolls. One thing to keep in mind is that many trolls are kids. Remember being a teenage boy? Remember that first dose of testosterone? Remember being a virgin? I kept a diary to remind myself, and many of the thoughts running through my head at the time were downright embarrassing (which isn't to say that my thoughts now are that much less embarrassing, but at least I'm not a virgin anymore). Now, we've all probably had to deal with young teenagers in kung fu class. The strategy is the same really, just that you can't pop them in the nose in sparring practice literally, you got to pop them psychologically. Since attention is their goal, all you got to do is deny that attention. It's quite simple. Personally, I am always amused by trolls. It reminds me of the Buddhist parable of the Monkey and the Buffalo - it's an exercise in patience and compassion.

My only real contention with the trolls link above is the 'freedom of speech' thing. Sure, here in America, there's freedom of speech, but for one thing, the web is international. People do read us in China. Does our 1st amendment work there? Not really. You have to rethink the web in terms of law because of it's global reach. But this is sort of a red herring and doesn't get at my real point here. Remember our first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The forum is a private affair, funded by private enterprise; it's not a government thing. It's open to the public, but it's a service we provide - for free mind you - and just like in a restaurant, we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. You do have freedom of speech, of course, but not in a private establishment. If you start yelling obscenites in a nice restaurant, they can kick your ass out. The same goes here.

MightyB
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I've seen pictures of you... you have to be exaggerating... you're still a virgin aren't you.

Prime example of trolling thanks to the B :p

David Jamieson
09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
trolls are in essence egoists and borderline sociopaths.

They don't care how you fell, in fact they want to dump their toxic sh1t right into your head and have you feel bad so they can laugh at you for feeling bad.

cest la vie.

If you ever meet one. Kick the living crap out of him, probably serve him a world of good.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-14-2005, 01:13 PM
:(

please don't kick me.

im only a little guy after all.

Samurai Jack
09-14-2005, 02:28 PM
You know, it's really wierd to see the way people have responded to so-called trolls in the last few months. We've had a few characters who make humorous, obviously ignorant statements about martial arts gets cursed out and threatened by long time members. Interestingly, the insult flinging members are the first to holler "troll!", while the jokers simply ignore the insulters (for the most part). So the question is, who is really trolling? As a moderator my gut instinct is to nix threads where the posters are outright cursing each other out. As far as banning goes, I can't justify banning someone for joking, but those who like to threaten and curse on the other hand will not be missed by anyone.

As far as the business end of KFM goes, a bunch of posters chewing each other out and dropping challenges does more to tarnish our image than a joke ever will.

Mel
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Well spoken, sir.

Here's an old story I heard a long time ago about a student learning meditation. He kept having horrible images of atrocious beasts come into his mind while he was meditating. He told his master about this, and the master said, "Just keep meditating and they'll go away." So the student continued to practice meditation and concentration as best as he could. Eventually, the horrible images did go away. He felt so relieved. Soon he began to have beautiful images of wonderous things. This made him very happy and he told his master about it. His master said, "Just keep meditating and they'll go away."

GeneChing
09-14-2005, 03:51 PM
MightyB - you're still low level :p