PDA

View Full Version : Jow Ga

jowgnavydoc
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Greetings one and all. I am currently looking at joining a jow Ga School run by Sifu Hoy Lee. Can anyone tell me what the benefits(if any) over other types of traditional kung-fu there are?
-Doc B

Ben Gash
09-14-2005, 12:42 AM
I think the biggest benefit of Jow Gar is it has a very "Kung Fu" flavour, if you know what I mean. It's combination of Hung Gar hand work with northern legwork and Choy Gar dynamics makes it look a fair bit like what you'd see in a late '70s early '80s kung fu movie, which IMO can only be a good thing :D
I personally very much enjoy seeing Jow Gar, it's usually performed very dynamically and with lots of power and is very exciting (I suppose the fact that it has similarities both in style and formulation to my own style helps ;) ).
From what I've seen of Hoy Lee's guys, they're certainly good (his daughter was on this board a while ago, haven't seen her lately though). Visit the school, check it out, if you like what you see and enjoy the vibe then go for it.
Good luck.

Shaolindynasty
09-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Sifu Hoy Lee's students are usually very good and do well in tournaments I'd recomend it

jowgnavydoc
09-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. I believe I will.
-Doc