PDA

View Full Version : How to fight a dog (vid)

IronFist
09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Remember our discussions on what to do if a dog attacks you?

This guy seems to do alright (in the beginning) with a kick...

Sensitive viewer warning: the dog yelps, but runs off relatively unharmed at the end of this vid. It's ok to watch. Don't worry.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/916/

Willow Palm
09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
That looks about right. I wonder if that dog had any training for comand attacks.

@PLUGO
09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
it looked as though that dog was Tazered or something.

IronFist
09-16-2005, 04:27 PM
^ it was.

I can't believe there's not a million replies to this thread yet. When we had a thread discussing how to fight a dog everyone was an expert. Now that there's video of an encounter no one has anything to say?

Samurai Jack
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
The dog wasn't proffessionally trained for protection. A trained protection dog knows what a gun is and attacks the hand reaching for one. It also dosen't hop around an assailant the way that mutt did, it barrels straight into an opponent without regard for it's own safety. Protection/schutzhund training is as much confidence training as anything else. It teaches a dog that no matter what, it's going to win. It's that fearlessness and lack of hesitation that makes such a dog an effective combatant.

Actually, come to think of it, a protection trained dog knows what a cop is too, and isn't going to randomly attack some one like that either. This aspect of the training is important because you don't want your protection dog to be aggressive toward people who are trying to help you, such as cops and paramedics.

IronFist
09-16-2005, 06:04 PM
^ True, but aren't the odds of fighting a trained attack dog on the street about the same as fighting a trained attacker?

PS. I hope if I ever get in a fight it's against an UNtrained attacker or dog.

Samurai Jack
09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Yep. The odds of being attacked by a trained dog are probably even less than the odds of being attacked by a trained person. Funny how that works. It's probably because less people own true protection/schutzhund trained dogs... it couldn't be that dogs are smarter than people... could it?

;)

By the way, when it comes to protection dogs, I favor the Bullmastiff. (http://www.chiots-france.com/Trouver-votre-chiot/Etalon/Bullmastiff3%20Affichage%20Web%20réduit.jpg)

KungFuGuy!
09-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I had a job as a hydro meter reader, and during the orientation there was a bit of training on how to deal with dogs without getting hurt since we had to go door to door and into backyards. Nothing in depth, just some basic preventative stuff that they had to tell us so we can't sue them when we get our nuts bitten off. Anyway, one of the guys at the orientation says to me "I can't wait until a dog attacks me, my friend is a self defense instructor and he taught me that all you have to do is punch a dog in his chest and it will die instantly because it's heart isn't protected". I kind of just nodded at him. What a tool :) I hope he's challenged a pitbull since then, maybe he'll realize what an idiot he is. The guy was like 35 years old too. I think he's lucky to have survived so long with his brain.

SimonM
09-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Ah, the old weak dog chest legend. Well that cop kicked the dog in the chest and it still looked pretty alive. Didn't comment because the video spoke for its self. Cop kicks dog, dog bounces back up, cop pulls gun, partner tazers dog, dog freaks out and runs away. The police handled the situation well but I don't really consider tazers to be part of martial arts so I didn't see the outcome of this situation as being related. If fighting a dog unarmed (especially an untrained one) remember that the most dangerous part of the dog is it's mouth. The nose might be an inviting target because of it's sensitivity but if you go for it be wearing really tough boots. Control the head and you neutralize the threat. How you do that is situational. However other than that the cops response was wise, a good strong kick. Followed by another if the dog still wants to fight.

I got attacked by a dog recently. It was tiny (about 9 inches tall). It came up behind me and bit my heel however it's teeth were not sharp enough to pierce (or even scratch) my docs. I turned, made direct eye contact and shouted at it and it looked all sheepish and walked away.

That being said I prefer to pat dogs and hold them in my lap on the couch while watching TV to fighting them. Dogs are sweet. :D

-Simon McNeil - Bona fide Dog person.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
^ it was.

I can't believe there's not a million replies to this thread yet. When we had a thread discussing how to fight a dog everyone was an expert. Now that there's video of an encounter no one has anything to say?

well ... while it was a cool vid the dog got tazered so it really doesn't do much for either side of the argument. personally i'm still of the mind that you have almost no chance of beating a dog like that without a weapon. even a stick would improve your chances drastically.

i mean do you think the cop could have kept the dog at bay much longer without a gun or tazer? i think it was only a matter of time before the rotty did a double leg and choked that guy out.

SimonM
09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
ROTFL but if that was a rottie it was a runty rottie. Pure-bred rottweilers are big, big dogs.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
i think it was a big dude ... i've seen bigger rotties but i dont think he was by any means a small dog.

most rotties i have seen are about that hight, maybe a little taller, and much much thicker. maybe its a pup, thin, or mixed.

SPJ
09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Dog is men's best friend.

:confused:

Samurai Jack
09-19-2005, 11:13 AM
" This is my dog Max." (points at miniature poodle) "He a third rottweiler; he crazy!"

That wasn't a rottweiler, but some sort of mix. The muzzle on that dog was too long, and it wasn't heavily built the way a rottweiler is. Rottweilers are hardly the biggest or the baddest though. You want a real guard dog, check out the bullmastiff photo I posted.

SimonM
09-19-2005, 04:10 PM
" This is my dog Max." (points at miniature poodle) "He a third rottweiler; he crazy!"

That wasn't a rottweiler, but some sort of mix. The muzzle on that dog was too long, and it wasn't heavily built the way a rottweiler is. Rottweilers are hardly the biggest or the baddest though. You want a real guard dog, check out the bullmastiff photo I posted.

How about Neapolitan Mastiffs as guard dogs?

"Awwwww how cuuuute! It's a wrinkle dog..... Aaargh! My leg! It bit my leg off!" And GDA: That dog wasn't big, you are just small remember? ;)

Peace

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-19-2005, 08:24 PM
How about Neapolitan Mastiffs as guard dogs?

"Awwwww how cuuuute! It's a wrinkle dog..... Aaargh! My leg! It bit my leg off!" And GDA: That dog wasn't big, you are just small remember? ;)

Peace

lol true. but i still think that dog went a good 80 - 90lbs.

SimonM
09-22-2005, 08:39 PM
50 lbs, 60 tops! 80 lb dogs are bloody huge!

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
not really dude ... my shep is 95 and hes big but far from huge.

that rottie looked almost as big as satan, but a little stockier and lower to the ground. i guess i could be wrong, but id put 20 on him weighing at least 80lbs.

SimonM
09-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Right GDA we are going to have to track that mut down and weigh it (it was categorically not a rottweiler, it was smaller, not marked correctly and had a tail) and I bet you it is closer to 50 lbs than to 80. In other words if it is 65 lbs or lighter you owe me 20 RMB. If it is 66 lbs or heavier I owe you 20 RMB. OK? :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-23-2005, 11:58 AM
lol ... sounds good.

i'd definatley risk mr. jackson if we can prove it.

SimonM
09-23-2005, 04:46 PM
You realize that 20 RMB is equal to about 3 dollars? ;)

Ok, that seems to have got that mistake straightened out.