PDA

View Full Version : Fitness and the like

Yamesk
09-15-2005, 09:47 PM
I've been in Shotokan a year or so now (see my member title) and am a fresh, new, purple belt. There's still so much more improvement I need to work on. I've been doing a lot of running on treadmill (and on the road), situps, pullups, and freeweights.

What are the best muscles to train to get faster, harder punching strength and how would one go about this? I've noticed also since I've been running my Sensei says my footwork in kata looks much better.

I'm also open to what other styles teach because I am interested in going far beyond Karate in the near future so please feel free to tell me your own style's methods or personal methods.

HearWa
09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Olympic-Style Boxing: I've only been to one class so far, but here's a run-down of some of the exercises they do and the equipment used.

- Skipping
- Medicine ball.
- Some big rubber ball.
- Medicine ball and big rubber ball combination. This is interesting, actually. Try doing push ups with your feet on the big rubber ball and your hands on the medicine ball, or pushing your butt in the air or moving your abs from side to side. It's quite a challenge!
- Shadow boxing.
- Running on the spot.
- Jumping jacks.
- I didn't get to use it, but they have a few speed bags.
- I didn't get to do it, but they do pad work there.
- Stretching.
- Heavy bag rounds. You use the same chosen five punch combination and perform it 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 times. Also, he gets beginners to work the heavy bag for about a minute with your focus shifting from speed and power.
- Ab work, notably crunches, bicycle crunches, crunches with various leg positions and most interestingly spelling the alphabet with your feet while laying on the ground.

For home training the instructor has me running with the goal of eventually running 3 miles at the intensity of ~8mph and shadow boxing with a focus on technique. This is proving to be quite a challenge for me but it works out well since I'm a two hour drive from the gym. He told me after I get my aerobic base build up, he's going to have me run wind-sprints.

Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu: I've only been to one class and that was a while ago. This particular class doesn't have much of a focus on sport fighting, but gears itself more towards "self defense tactics," but unfortunately nobody spars or rolls in a free environment. The class warmed up with skipping and then we moved on to technique training.

Hip Kyun Kung Fu: This is a traditional school that flirts with the idea of sport fighting so they have nothing against it. My primary experience is with this particular Federation. The workout consists of drilling techniques and forms, jumping jacks, stretching, crunches and other ab work, stance training, dragons, push ups in the various positions, other body-weight exercises and sparring.

A Thai Boxing Seminar I attended: Even though this was just a seminar I managed to get a good workout with the pad work. We done punch/kick combinations. The teacher assigned a number to a series of techniques and he would have our partner call out the number to have us perform the combination. Also, there were times when we just worked one kick at a time.

---

But really, what you'll find is that each school trains differently. It all depends on what the collective goal is of the students in the school (and remember this is never a static thing, the goal can shift). The boxing school was the first martial arts gym I checked out in the new area I'm moving and I love it, but I still have a few other places to check out (moving from the country to a city is a wonderful thing!). I'd advise you to make a list of all the martial arts schools in your area and check them all out to see which one you like. And even when you think you've discovered all the martial arts schools in your area, keep your ears peeled. You never know what gems you may find!

bodhitree
09-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I think the core is most important for strong techniques in any style.

FooFighter
09-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Yam,

Good job in maintaining your personal practice of Shotokan a year and your new purple belt rank and status achievement in attainment. So what does your strength training consist of and are you under any specific program design? How are you balancing your form/technical training from your physical training and from your sparring?

You asked, "What are the best muscles to train to get faster, harder punching strength and how would one go about this?" Explosive strength is what you want to develop and doing "explosive clapping push ups" is one way of developing faster, harder, powerful punches. Explosive strength is the core of wing chun and this kind of strength is also called Speed strength or Plyometric strength. I suggest you search for books on Plyometric strength. There is something to be said for simply practicing good biomechnics of punching skill.

Please check out Coach Sonnon's Fisticuffs series which I highly recommend. Here are the links http://circularstrengthmag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6675 and http://www.rmax.tv/fisticuffs.html. I hope this is useful to use and please us updated with your progress.

Yours in CST,
Bao Tran

bodhitree
09-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I agree, if you want faster harder punches, plyometrics are great, but great power comes from the core also.

FooFighter
09-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Unless you do have a weak link in your "core" then should focus on developing your core. It is true that core is the center of your movement, however your style Shotokan, if I am not mistaken, has many refined movements that indirectly train the key and magical concept today known as the "core." The core has been the center of traditional martial arts for years now. It is only today that current fitness camps has rediscovered it. Do whatever works for you and keep us updated, my friend.

_William_
09-17-2005, 04:04 PM
What are the best muscles to train to get faster, harder punching strength and how would one go about this?

The whole body from head to toe!