PDA

View Full Version : Time outs

SimonM
09-18-2005, 03:03 AM
OK, all day KFM.com has been timing out like crazy. I've sometimes had to post the same message five or six times before it will take. :eek: What's going on?

GeneChing
09-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Often we have to do maintenance over the weekends, but it seldom lasts longer than an hour or so. All day time-outs is probably something on your end. How are you accessing the forum exactly?

SimonM
09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
www.kungfumagazine.com

I never thought that I wouldn't be able to access the forum and the school I work at gave me a high speed internet connection.

Problem seems gone though so no fear.

GeneChing
09-20-2005, 09:17 AM
It's one of the many pitfalls of travel in China (I'm sure, from your blog (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38364), that you are discovering more and more of those). The Internet is monitored in China, so it doesn't really matter what speed your connection is at. It's more about from where you access it. There's been some discussion of it on our forum I believe - a lot of discussion in the news, of course. You just don't get the same internet in China. Case and point, take a look at google (http://www.google.com/intl/zh-CN/). My question was more about how you are accessing it. A lot of China travellers use internet cafes, but I'm gathering that you have a good connection provided by your school handlers, yes? Watch that resource! It's something that can be discreetly withheld by *ahem* arrogent worms...

SimonM
09-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Actually, funny thing, it was down for a few days. I just generally made a bunch of noise until they got in a technician to fix it. I am in a bit of a special position; it's hard to find FTs to teach back here in the hinterlands so I am pretty spoiled most of the time and if I make it clear I want something I tend to get it pretty fast. But thanks for the heads up!

PS: Google is down right now; I guess I'll have to use hotmail until it goes back online. But that is why I have two EMail addresses.