PDA

View Full Version : Buddha Palm 1-18

azwingchun
09-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I just did a demo for a friend of mine that was having an awards ceremony, while there I ran across another Kung Fu practitioner who was speaking to me about the Buddha Palm sets 1-18. He stated that the movements could be seen in the Wing Chun dummy form. Though I had heard mention of these sets before I was unaware of any connection between them and Wing Chun.

To make a long story short, he gave me a video of him performing various Kung Fu empty hand and weapons sets, within the video was this Buddha Palm and to my surprise it was almost identical to my dummy form, though performed soley in the air. The other difference was that it moved across the school it was video taped at.....in other words it didn't just stand in a small areas such as you would with the regular dummy set.

Does anyone know the history behind this set of forms? I personally couldn't find any history on it in any searches. Maybe it is just me, but I found it kinda interesting! Is it new, is it something that developed years ago?

The funny thing is that I used to perform this same way years ago when I didn't have a dummy. I still do it now today as to add a little more dimension to the set and also to practice full speed and power. I didn't realize I was doing a whole new system?!?! LOL!!!!!

Jim Roselando
09-19-2005, 12:44 PM
AZWC,

Fut Jeung has some similarities to WCK. Actually, in some ways it is more similar than the San Chin based arts of the south. Why? The body torque (twisting) IMO but the art is Harder Jing with Hard Chi Kung where as WCK is the soft jing etc..

As far as I know the art is from Canton. Supposed to be a young art.

There is a senior Fut Jeung sifu living in Boston. He is a tough cookie! Been in loads of fights and although Fut Jeung is one of his arts he also does Hung Gar, Yang Taiji and other stuff.

According to Wong sifu the art only has 4 sets if memory is correct.

If you want me to find out more I can. Just let me know!

Hope that helps,

kung fu fighter
09-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes it would be nice to hear more about this style!

azwingchun
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
This is interesting.......as mentioned, I had heard of this system, but never knew it was so close to Wing Chun. At least as performed by this practitioner.

I wonder if we are speaking of the same system, as mentioned, these sets looked as if he took them straight from the average Ip Man dummy form. The energy was fairly Wing Chun type (in appearance or as performed in the video) also. Not to mention he kinda broke them down into 18 individual sets as to 4 as you mention. I can't remember where he said it was from originally, but I believe he said that it later was found in Hunan (Though I could be wrong here). I will have to watch the video again.

Sure, if you have more info more would be great. Thanks!

Jim Roselando
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Hello,

Fut Jeung (Buddha Palm) Kung Fu is from the Canton area. They use the Foo Ngon and lots of side angling/slicing. They do not practice Chi Sao platforms but rather use Kiu Sao training more similar to Harder arts.

If the art your friend is doing looks soooooo much like YMWCK that its hard to tell the difference then its more likely that its just that with some frosting on it. ;)

Fut Jeung principles are totally different from YMWC so application would clearly show if the art is combo'd or not. Fut Jeung's footwork is excellent for defense!

Peace,

azwingchun
09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info!