PDA

View Full Version : Pakua jings transfer to taiji?

Ma_Xu_Zha
01-29-2001, 07:21 PM
alot of teachers believe to work on internal power supplementary exercises until one is full of internal power before learning sparring and combat level training. this means your training is useless without internal power drills. do you think it is right if one teacher teaches alot of power exercises from one art like pakua is useful for something like taiji or hsingyi, if those teachers dont teach particular internal power exercises.

a good example would be the core of Parks training called '48 month palms' i learned a few of these from him during my year of training in richmond, but these few exercises are quite powerful and very valuable to anyone that researches them for a few years. could these exercise still be useful for other internal and external arts even though they are different styles?

Chris McKinley
01-29-2001, 11:36 PM
I am not a student of Park's, but generally speaking, the correct use of internal structural power and the jings are common to all the neijia. My Bagua and Taiji practice have benefitted one another numerous times. For example, while both Bagua and Taiji contain the concept of Coiling Jing, Bagua specializes in it. Using the 3 Circles of Bagua while performing High Pat on Horse, for instance, makes that technique much more dynamically useful in a fight.

count
01-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Interesting topic, I think the same "reeling silk energy" which is more seen in chen but also seen in yang style is in all Chinese martial arts whether internal or external or whether it is acknowledged or not. It is definately a main focus of bagua only in our school we use another term "lo chuan" or snail energy which I think is subtly different from chan su. I agree with Chris that when I apply this bagua energy to Yang style applications I get much more power from them and it doesn't break the flow as much as trying to apply Chen style chan su jin or fa jin to Yang. I only know yang form or Yang Chen Fu's form of Tai Chi and there doesn't seem to be much fa jin in it. Is fa jin seen in other Yang forms?

khinbu
01-30-2001, 11:51 AM
Yes, in Yang style Small frame as handed down by Yang Shaohou and in Yang style Longfist as handed down by Yang Chengfu. And in older Yang style.

Wish for peace