PDA

View Full Version : Broken Immortal Dummy Leg broken ...similar problems?

Neo
09-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Hi, had my Immortal free standing dummy for about 3 years now, and recently one morning the leg just snaps when I kicked it. Now, the power in my kicks hasn't suddenly and dramatically improved, :D it's obvious a crack has worked its way through. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the Immortal dummies? Is it something I should expect anyway? The reseller charges £45 for replacement legs which I think is ridiculous as i have used it the way it was intended for, why shouldn't it last longer? I bought my heavy bag at the same time and that has had a pounding and is still in full working condition. I am going to pursue them for a free replacement but wondered if anyone else has had problems with the recycled plastic version of the dummy? :confused:

YongChun
09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Maybe the dummy is designed that way so that after three years you think your kick has suddenly become awsomely devastating. They should do the same with the arms.

But seriously the leg on any good dummy should last forever. I had people kicking my dummy around for 25 years now and the leg is still in good shape. The leg on my dummy is made from a natural tree branch. Other people I know have a laminated leg on their dummy and it has also stood up to constant abuse over the years.

Those people who made your dummy maybe used the same ideas as light bulb makers use. Light bulbs have a planned lifespan. Even Edison created a light bulb that stayed lit for 80 years. But if light bulb manufacturers did that, then the light bulb companies would soon be out of business.

So a dummy with disposable arms and legs might be the way to go. I think they should sell legs with different breaking points such as: 10 pounds to break it, 20 pounds, 30 pounds,..., 5000 pounds. You get a black sash with a yellow stripe on it if you break the leg that was engineeringly tested to break at a stress level of 5,000 pounds.

Last but not least, I would definitely complain.
Ray

lawrenceofidaho
09-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Have you contacted Immortal directly?

I needed extra stabilizing pins for my freestanding one, and they quickly shipped them to me at no charge and were very courteous about it. -Even if they aren't replacing the leg for free (since you didn't buy it from them ), they might offer you a better price on the leg than the re-seller.

-Lawrence

Neo
09-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Spoke to the owner yesterday, having sent my letter to him. Does not feel that he should replace it for free, as it is not guaranteed, even though the sale of goods act in the UK states that it has to be fit for the purpose for what it was sold for and covers you for 5 years. Using it as a wing chun dummy involves stamping and kicking the leg, surely that is the purpose? He made an offer of buying a leg back and me paying him half price for it, alternatively I take him to small claims court for the £45 (about $80 US) which is pretty silly but I don't have spare cash at mo, even for the £20 offer. Anyway, its the principal that is annoying me.