PDA

View Full Version : Your Style of Choice?

Martial Joel
09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Guys,

It's another pretty big question, and i'm not being nosy but just... interested in what style of Kung-Fu you learn, for me i've just started a Lau Gar class, so nothing really interesting to report.

What about you people, could you name your style and say what happens regularly.

It would be much appreciated and it would update my Martial Arts knowledge greatly, and i would be hearing it from pretty nice people!

Thanks
Joel

PangQuan
09-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Chang Quan, Nan Quan, Hong Quan.

lots of things happen. cant really keep it the same everyday, way too much material for that. but there are things that we frequently do. forms of course, applications, drills, all kinds of stuff.

last night we ended class with 15 minutes of flying sidekicks. A barrier (our wave master hanging bag) is laid down to force you to cover about 6 feet, then a floor mat is placed between the bag and the person holding the pad, in case you have to fall. I held the pad for about half of it then let loose for the rest of it. SOOO much fun, and you learn you can send a man flying if you hit him right, or if his footing is incorrect when contact is made.

ribs are a bit sore, some people kicked a bit low, but I actually like holding the pad for the heavy stuff, even though we are in serious need of a new heavy pad, as ours is pretty much just air now lol.

I would say at this point my best is the red fist, minor and major only so far. for weapons I would say I like our staff the most.

Martial Joel
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Isn't Chang Quan quite an acrobatic kung-fu?, whilst Nan Quan is mainly punching etc with power

PangQuan
09-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Chang Quan is full of armwheels, and hopping switch steps and more flowery flamboyant movements. Whilst (at least ours) retains martial application for each movement. There is a definate modern wushu influence, in the northern long fist. The amount of modern wushu influence will vary from school to school.

The souther fist has lots of speed, powerful kicks and short punches. Movements are compact and powerful. In the southern style good balance and solid positions are essential, with sudden and powerful movements. Often attack and defense occur simultaneously. Southern style is mainly lineal movements, but these are shorter and more compact than in the north.

The red fist is in itself quite basic, yet very practicle. Long linear strikes with powerfull blocks and offensive defence. the traveling is also linear. a solid system.

Modern wushu is a dynamic performance and competition sport grounded in traditional Chinese martial arts. The cultural and combative tradition of wushu is retained as an integral element while the art and the sport of wushu is expressed physically and mentally. Wushu reigns as the most popular sport in China, and now is being considered for the Olympic games. In wushu, every movement must exhibit realistic combative application and aestheticism even thought its emphasis has shifted from combat to performance. Routines are performed solo, paired, or in groups, either barehanded or with traditional Chinese weaponry.

Samurai Jack
09-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Hsing-i for CMA
Aikido for JMA

gfx
09-21-2005, 11:38 AM
It's not northern styles that got modern wushu influence. It's the other way around, modern wushu (chang quan) was built from northern style arts.

Well at least it shouldn't be.

I do nothern shaolin long fist, baji, pigua, meihua mantis, judo and yang taiji. A little bit of SongXi Neijia as well.

PangQuan
09-21-2005, 11:43 AM
wonder ful clarification gfx, thanks :D

bo_hou_chuan
09-21-2005, 12:00 PM
I study Bo Hou Chuan. I am not sure what Sifu will allow me to say, online, about our material, I will have to ask.

rfbrown3
09-21-2005, 12:02 PM
My style of choice?

Southern Praying Mantis if it were available in my area, but alas it is not. I am in Dallas, actually in Plano. Grandmaster Henry Poo Yee teaches it in Houston, but that is way too far away. Maybe if I were an advanced student then I could travel to Houston on occassion to keep up my training, but never having lessons in it, it would not be feasible.

I am 48 years old and only recently have tried to find a good CMA class in my area. I tried some Hung Gar about 3 years ago, but those low stances killed my knees and I eventually dropped out. I then tried some Wing Chun, but then I was handed a couple of special projects in my job that took all my spare time and energy. I did a bit of Shotokan last year, but again special circumstances with my job demanded more of my time and I just could not make it to class on a regular basis, and eventually just lost interest in it.

Now I am getting bit by the martial arts bug again. In the absence of SPM, I am considering a Wing Chun class in Garland, a sister kwoon to Sifu Steve Cottrell's Authentic Kung Fu (http://www.authentickungfu.com/) in Ft. Worth, Hung Gar (again, despite the low stances!) under Sifu Phillip Ng now also in Garland, and a Hsing-I/Tai-Chi class under Sifu Eric Hung located just a few blocks away from my house here in Plano. There is also a Northern Praying Mantis class run by one of Sifu Cottrell's students at a recreational center in Richardson that has very reasonable rates and is a fairly close drive. I may well end up there, but just have not decided yet. Let me state that I was very impressed by the Hsing-I class at Eric Hung's school (http://www.cheng-ming-usa.org/welcome.htm).

RFB

joedoe
09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Ngor Chor Kun/Wuzuquan/Five Ancestors

SPJ
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Actually the styles choose you.

My brother was very lucky. We were all taught Chen Tai Ji Lao Jia. He had a teacher that taught him Zhao Bao and Qi Gong. He just stays with it everysince.

Moi. Started with Tan Tui and Shuai Jiao.

Ba Ji, Tong Bei, Mantis etc in high school.

Chen Tai Ji, Cheng Ting Hua Ba Gua and Xing Yi in college.

I did not have a choice per se.

I studied whatever were available to me at the time.

Pick a style or any style to have a good basic.

Take in new styles as "needed" or over preference over time.

:D

Shaolindynasty
09-22-2005, 10:12 AM
"Hung Gar (again, despite the low stances!) under Sifu Phillip Ng now also in Garland"

you don't mean this Philip Ng do you?

www.ngfamilymartialarts.com

must be a different guy

Btw, how long is a drive to houston? It may be worth it to train there once every week or two just to do somthing you really want to do. You may stick with it.

I live in Kankakee and train in Chicago which is about an hour drive, but I usually take the train which takes around 2 hours.

It was worth it, I enjoy the Choy Lay Fut I'm learning now more than my previous training

Shaolindynasty
09-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Wait isn't plano where they held the Taiji legacy in 04'? what about the Chin woo association?

MasterKiller
09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Btw, how long is a drive to houston? It may be worth it to train there once every week or two just to do somthing you really want to do. You may stick with it.

I live in Kankakee and train in Chicago which is about an hour drive, but I usually take the train which takes around 2 hours.

It was worth it, I enjoy the Choy Lay Fut I'm learning now more than my previous training

Houston is about 4 hours from Dallas (Plano/Garland/Arlington, etc...).

rfbrown3
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
you don't mean this Philip Ng do you?
Nope, this Sifu-Philip Ng (http://www.hungfist.com/SIFU.html).

Btw, how long is a drive to houston? It may be worth it to train there once every week or two just to do somthing you really want to do.
Houston is way too far away to drive to. I would have to start out at 1-2:00 in the afternoon which is just out of the question, plus it takes almost an hour just to make it down 75 (Central Express Freeway) from Plano to the other end of Dallas and that is when traffic is good. Please note that I am a computer tech for a large pharmaceutical chain and am on 24/7 call so I cannot leave the area.

Wait isn't plano where they held the Taiji legacy in 04'? what about the Chin woo association?
Not to offend anyone, but no thanks, I am not interested in the Chin Woo A$$ociation.

RFB

Ou Ji
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
YouKnowWho
"I like to call my style as "Chinese combat style" and nothing else. If it works then I'll use it and I don't care where it came from."

Does that mean you ignore BJJ, Muy Thai, Karate, etc.?

Ha ha. Sorry, couldn't resist. You you truly use what works no matter where it's from why would you call it Chinese anything?

How about 'Human Combat Style'? Unless of course you add Monkey, Eagle, Praying Mantis etc.

:p :p :p

Taatelipalmu
09-23-2005, 01:18 PM
I train in Choy Lee Fut. (spelling varies.) I can't really tell much about it, I live in Finland in a small city, so that I don't really have much of a choice, the only other style taught here being Wing Chun. Our most experienced teacher is currently in China, and everybody else has trained much less than him (I think). Ergo, our quality is somewhat variable...

PlumDragon
09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Ive trained in many arts (to include TKD, northern shaolin, PM, white dragon, xing yi, as well as MT/BJJ/JKD at Straight Blast Gym).

Currently Im working in wing chun and kali/escrima. I also work out with a group of ngo cho guys so that creeps in a bit too. Im trying to find myself a jook lum sifu close to my home and will drop everything else if I can do that...

David Jamieson
09-24-2005, 09:19 AM
the one i do now. lol

which is becoming a pretty good mix of a few different things, but all together its covering what it needs to cover.

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Hung Gar; Hong Family of shaolin; Open Mountain family of Shaolin; Ermei and Wudang styles of tai chi chuan, bagua, and fu-hybrids (sifu level); Sun Bin; southern birds with a heavy dose of crane and tiger-leopard; southern magic dragon (master level); clf knightly sage lineage; 12 weapons forms; 6 open hand versus weapons forms. (68 forms total)

Pork Chop
09-24-2005, 06:06 PM
The more i learn about muay thai the more right it feels.
I like boxing a ton too; so much history and a surprising amount of depth for 6 punches.
My throws stink but i dig san shou as well.
I like those a lot more than bjj, judo, and mma, I admire the skill but doing it is just way too awkward.
Used to love kung fu, but the whole "is the ring worthwhile" debate turned me off, coz training to fight's so fun.

SimonM
09-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I do love Gong Fu.

The Ring is worthwhile.

Anyone who thinks that they can learn how to fight without ever actually fighting can visit me in China. ;) :D :cool:

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
I do love Gong Fu.

The Ring is worthwhile.

Anyone who thinks that they can learn how to fight without ever actually fighting can visit me in China. ;) :D :cool:

do you know any hero songs? like,"the beggar, the bandit, the bully, my bully"? :cool:

fiercest tiger
09-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Yau Kung Mun (Soft Skill Style)

and

Wun Yuen Yut Hei Jerng (Primordial Chaos One Chi Palm System).

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Yau Kung Mun (Soft Skill Style)

and

Wun Yuen Yut Hei Jerng (Primordial Chaos One Chi Palm System).

i just saw a disc on Primordial Chaos and wondered 'where in h3ll am i going to find someone who knows anything about that one?'

i am prepared for your lecture.

fiercest tiger
09-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello,

I know there is alot of people that use the name Wun Yuen and add it to there Taiji and chi kung. But this art is Wun Yeun that is very old and is very very daoist!

What disc did you see on Primordial Chaos? Is it chi kung related or based on the universe only?

FT

Shaolin Dude
09-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I study wah lum mantis

SimonM
09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
do you know any hero songs? like,"the beggar, the bandit, the bully, my bully"? :cool:

Um.... no, sorry. Should I?

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello,

I know there is alot of people that use the name Wun Yuen and add it to there Taiji and chi kung. But this art is Wun Yeun that is very old and is very very daoist!

What disc did you see on Primordial Chaos? Is it chi kung related or based on the universe only?

FT

it's exactly what you describe. it's Primordial Chaos sect. parent sect of Black Turtle sect. tell me about your style?

Buddy
09-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Yoon, You are amazingly full of what comes out of a horses patoot.
BTW that Philip Ng was my Dai sihing at the Tiger Crane Club here in Boston. Those were good days until the end.
Buddy

fiercest tiger
09-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Yuan,

Ill ask my Sifu what sect it is and get back to you. Since the art was made from Lao Tzu's senior disciples i guess you can trace it sect to Lao Tzu?

Where did you get your info from?

it's exactly what you describe. it's Primordial Chaos sect. parent sect of Black Turtle sect. tell me about your style?

Im still new to the art of Wun Yuen, mostly its using No Intent and the body is controlled by the Buttock muscles. So for your arm to move the buttock will do it etc so alot of training in turning, rotating, squeezing, releasing the Glute muscles.

The healing hands and some of the body breathing meds use some intent but just to activate the chi.

hope this helps for now,

regards
Garry

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
sounds like it tries to train in self leading as a precursor to opponent leading. cool stuff. many kf styles try to move hip first or generate thier power through the hips. that's a really good instructor you have teaching you the intricasies of that. who is he?

the primordial chaos sect either created as daughter sects or created out of conflict several animal sects: Panda Sect, Black Turtle sect, Rooster sect are the only ones i know of as they were the only ones rumored to still be alive durring the CR.

i saw the video for the Primordial Chaos Tai Chi and Bagua on a web site. i think i slipped into an old layer of the web 'cause i could not find it a second time. the description included an association with tong bei methods of through the back power development.

fiercest tiger
09-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Lao Tzu didnt belong to any sect therefore his senior disciples both created the Wun Yuen system based directly on Lao Tzu's theories of internal work and the nature of the Dao.

After that west, east, north, south sects developed as well, many other like complete reality, dragon gate etc.

This art is very unique and is based on Chi Development and the daoist thought of the creation of life and the universe.

Here is another site that my sifu is on, my sifu is called Sifu Cornelius.

http://www.waterboxing.com/history6.html

regards
FT

greensage22
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I practice shotokan karatedo, powerful karate very strict with form, also known
as karates' way of life.

shaolin_allan
03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I couldnt't say I have one style in particular as my favorite, as I like different styles for different reasons. My favorite art would have to be sun style baguazhang followed second by changquan.

EarthDragon
03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I study iron octopus, we use our tenticals in whipping type action then confuse our opponents with a flurry of attacks... its quite effective