PDA

View Full Version : I have a question.

Ming Shan
09-21-2005, 06:57 PM
One of my si-hings has been learning some type of northern mantis from another teacher. The form itself was translated as "Intellectual Fist"; it is in six sections. I suspect mistranslation on the part of the teacher. Each section is long as hell, complex and eats alot of space! Any one here have any idea what style it could be from?

bo_hou_chuan
09-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I am not certain, but that name sounds very very fermiliar to me with my Bo Hou Chuan training.

Three Harmonies
09-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Okay, okay......I'll bite.

What is Bo Hou Chuan?? :confused:

Never heard of such a set in Mantis or otherwhere's. Sorry dude.

Cheers
Jake :cool:

-N-
09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Might be the Jak Yiu forms, the Extracted Essentials. Some lineages have 3 others have 6.

N.

Ming Shan
09-22-2005, 05:44 AM
The hands are shot over the head, in the very beginning. After that, forward leaning with spear hands towards the eyes. And I think it is 5 sections, my mistake, not 6.

Ou Ji
09-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Jake
I smell a troll already and I've only read 2 of his posts.

Three Harmonies
09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Perhaps. We shall see young grasshopper!
Jake ;) :cool:

bo_hou_chuan
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Jake
I smell a troll already and I've only read 2 of his posts.

I am sorry, I did not mean to come off as a troll.

I am in the progress of working up a web page with my superiors and brothers. It will articulate our system and it's history. I also hope to include some pictures (hopefully videos) of some of our entry level applications, so you can get a feel for what we do. Hopefully a lot of people on here will be able to relate to Bo Hou Chuan material.

I hope to have it up in about 2 weeks, but I have a busy schedule, so please do not flame me if I am a week late.

Ou Ji
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
bo_hou_chuan
I may have been quick to judge but it seems most of your posts refer to your style of Bo Hou Chuan. You bring it up constantly considering the fact that you have to get permission from your Sifu to give out any information on the style.

And it doesn't appear that anyone here is familiar with your style. You have to understand that we get a little suspicious when someone new comes along with a secret style nobody ever heard of and he can't tell us anything about it because it's too secret.

Maybe you could post a small sample to give us something to discuss while we wait for your new website?

Ming Shan
09-22-2005, 04:01 PM
So anyway...anyone have any ideas about a mantis form called "Intellectual Fist"? Perhaps, "Mind Fist"? "Will Fist"? I don't think it is Six Harmony. Anyone? Bueller?

Three Harmonies
09-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Never heard of it.
So what the hell does it translate out too????
Jake :cool:

Ming Shan
09-22-2005, 06:01 PM
That's the problem, I don't know what the Chinese name is. My si-hing said it was "Intellectual Fist"...which could be a wide variety of misinterpreted characters. All I know is, it is a long as hell form, all over the place, mantis like a mofo. Like a tornado. Anbody know of a mantis form with intellect/mind/will/intent/something-involving-the-mind/etc in the title?

K.Brazier
09-22-2005, 10:20 PM
zhi huei(rhymes with fur play) means wisdom.

That is close to Zhai Yao(rhymes with hi now).

zhi huei chuen fist of wisdom could be translated a intellectual fist.

Willow Palm
09-23-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm no expert by any means on the topic but I've never heard of it, either. Not that saying this helps you any. I'm sorry!

This is a stupid question and will probably result in a stupid answer, but could someone please explain the meaning of, "troll", as it is used often on the forum. :confused:

Thanks,
Warren

monkeyfoot
09-23-2005, 03:02 AM
trolls are internet losers who sign up on forums and just troll around, they have little to do and post bollacks basically......pointless threads and posts of which they have no interest in the subject or the replies that they receieve.

craig

Ming Shan
09-23-2005, 04:18 AM
zhi huei(rhymes with fur play) means wisdom.

That is close to Zhai Yao(rhymes with hi now).

zhi huei chuen fist of wisdom could be translated a intellectual fist.

So, is there actually a mantis "zhi huei chuan"? Or are you just saying, it COULD be? If there is, what style is it from? Thanks a lot!

Ou Ji
09-23-2005, 05:54 AM
Trolling on a forum is like trolling when you fish. They throw a line or 2 out there waiting to lure someone in so they can talk a lot of garbage.

That's why I made the comment that I did. He could be trolling by throwing out the line "my style of XXX" in a few threads to see what he can stir up. When asked about it you get pulled further into it by the statement that he can't reveal anything about his style. This snowballs into a thread hijaaking and derails the original topic which is the intended purpose. Some people see this as fun. When they get banned they reappear with a new name.

This is just an example and not intended to be speaking of any particular poster on these forums.

As far as the topic of this discussion I have not heard of this form either. The length of it sounds like it could be Zhai Yao combined into one long form. It would be interesting to see the opening moves. That would probably offer a clue as to it's origin.

K.Brazier
09-23-2005, 06:32 AM
There is no such thing as "Intellectual fist"
I was showing how it is possible that some student learned the name incorrectly and passed it down with different Chinese characters.

There is also no such mantis style as Bo Hou Chuan.
Nor is there a Northern stlye of Boxing by this name, unless it was recently made up or the characters were written incorrectly.

Three Harmonies
09-23-2005, 07:33 AM
I meant what does Bo Hou Chuan translate out too??
Jake :)

Ou Ji
09-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Well I'm inclined to think it translates to 'Troll Fist' but I'll gladly offer a public apology if I'm wrong.

It must be annoying to have to keep thinking up new screen names.

Anyone want to hazard a guess based on the length of the form? What are the longest forms in NM? From what I've seen most are fairly short. CLF has some really long forms.