PDA

View Full Version : Video: Shuai Jiao any one?

SPJ
09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/video/another_bagua_fight.WMV

have fun.

:D

PangQuan
09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
nice, thank you.

the man in yellow had good reaction time.

SPJ
09-21-2005, 10:29 PM
It was a Kuo Shu event in Taiwan.

This was the first time they changed the rule. The person in yellow was a TKD/Shuai Jiao national team player.

So the match would be like an MMA event?

His strategy was to wait for the opponent to come, and move in before the opponent finishes his move or regains balance.

The timing strategy is called "arrive late but win first". or start late but win first. You wait for the opponent to start his move first.

:)

bodhitree
09-22-2005, 05:10 AM
good vid!!!!

SPJ
12-20-2005, 12:15 PM
What are the different throws in the vid?

What were the entry conditions or strategy?

You know who please only comment on the answers, please do not provide answers. We all know you are an expert on Shuai Jiao.

I will start, there was a tripping the leg throw or Bie Tui Shuai. You control or hug the upper body first.

:D

Ben Gash
12-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Sweet throws. Was there a no face punching rule or something?
SPJ, why stop the expert from providing info?
First off was a shoulder throw from a single leg entry, then a belly to belly snatch, then a hip throw, then a side suplex, then a double leg, and I kind of lost track after that.

SPJ
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Agreed. You know who, this is your thread.

And yes, there was a no head shot rule.

SevenStar
12-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I think that was posted here a few years back. Anyway, I would liken that more to san shou than mma. I would also guess that the fighter in black was a novice, based on lack of set ups, focus on single techniques, etc...

Mr Punch
12-21-2005, 04:06 AM
That first match was great to watch.

They guy in black didn't seem very experienced but he tried hard and it doesn't detract from the yellow guy's skill. The most interesting thing to me (bearing inmind I don't practise any shuai chiao) was that the yellow gyuys had next-to-no guard, ie his one hand was down completely. I'd be interested to see him in a match where head shots are allowed. Is that a standard guard?

The second match... heartbreaking for the guy in yellow... how many times did he go down to the same thing!?:o

Ben Gash
12-21-2005, 04:59 AM
The guy in yellow in the first fight was using a TKD style guard, where they're more likely to face a round kick to the body than a cross to the face (which worked OK in this bout because there was no face punching). It's difficult to make too many judgements about the guy in black's skill, as he did seem to be really struggling with the rules. Indeed, when he forgot about the rules and smacked the guy in the face he looked quite good.
The second fight was less entertaining but MUCH more interesting. Again, he was really frustrated by the rules, and there were times where I'm sure if he'd been allowed to punch to the face he'd have just filled the guy in. The most interesting thing though was how the guy adapted to the fight. The second half of the fight was very different, with him giving as good as he got in the clinches and if he was thrown gaining the dominant position. It's a shame he got injured.

SaekSan
12-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Thank you for posting these historical kuoshu videos.

Do you have any info on this tournament? When it was and what kind it was (Taiwan, Taiganau, Asian Games or Worlds)?

Once again thank you!

PS- Just noticed that it was YKW that posted the secoind link... so the same questions go to YKW as well. Thanks

SaekSan
12-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks!

I remember a great picture of the 1986 Worlds that had the female heavyweights in it. The 1st place had a black eye, 2nd place had a black eye and arm in a sling and 3rd place had double black eyes. :D

Do you have any more info or videos from that era of Kuoshu (1970's)? Or better yet how things developed in the 50's and 60's to get to the 1975 World Tournament?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

SaekSan
12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Any more info on the TFF - Top Fighters Fight? Is there a website?

SaekSan
12-21-2005, 02:50 PM
That's great stuff! Thank you very much!

So the "Top Fighter Fight" event is an annual thing? Are they doing this as a Taiwan version of K-1 or an answer to the San Da movement type thing?

Once again thank you very much!

SPJ
12-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for update and video info.