PDA

View Full Version : Squat rack or Oly set?

Neo
09-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Xmas is coming :D , wifey has set out the budget for pressies :( and I've got £75 for my wish list. :rolleyes: Do I go for cheap squat racks so I can do all those front squats, back squats overhead squats, etc. Or, do I go for the basic Oly set from Gold's gym that I can increase the weights for my deadlift, etc.

Which one will it be, you decide! :D

Ford Prefect
09-22-2005, 06:32 AM
If you don't have an oly set already, then why would you want a squat rack? Is that like getting a car with no engine.

Neo
09-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Should have said, I have some non oly weight stuff, one of those packages you buy, and have bought four 22lb discs to go with it, but in terms of max on the bar, this is probably about 188lb. So, do I go with a squat rack or change the weight set to an Oly set?

Chief Fox
09-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Get a squat rack. But make sure it's one that you can eventually use with an Olympic weight set so you're ready for your birthday. :cool:

Neo
09-22-2005, 09:18 AM
ahhh, birthday, so far away....and much less on the budget....

AndrewS
09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Squat rack. Not hurting yourself is more important than more weight. Also- you can do dead stop squats from the pins and good things like that.

Check Craig's list or the UK equivalent for cheap weights- appearantly it's the place to score poundage for very few #, and you may be able to get the Oly set on the cheap. A buddy of mine just got 3 bars and about 200lbs for $90.

Andrew

Samurai Jack
09-22-2005, 04:19 PM
No, no, no. A squat rack is next to useless without an Olympic set. They're so wide you'll find you can't get your standard bar on them as the weight plates will be centered exactly where your pins are on the rack!

Come on guys, am I the only one who lifts here?!? :p

Go with buying an Olympic set if you intend to eventually buy a squat rack. You can get 300 lbs. for your price range and work your dead-lifts like hell until you get a squat-rack next year. By then you may decide you don't need one.

Chief Fox
09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
No, no, no. A squat rack is next to useless without an Olympic set. They're so wide you'll find you can't get your standard bar on them as the weight plates will be centered exactly where your pins are on the rack!

Come on guys, am I the only one who lifts here?!? :p

Go with buying an Olympic set if you intend to eventually buy a squat rack. You can get 300 lbs. for your price range and work your dead-lifts like hell until you get a squat-rack next year. By then you may decide you don't need one.
Good point!

Neo
09-23-2005, 03:06 AM
<hits himself> I must type the right words...

I put squat rack, well budget is actually squat stands (http://www.worldofhealthandleisure.co.uk/popups/yorksquats.htm)! A squat rack (http://www.worldofhealthandleisure.co.uk/popups/marcysquatrack.htm) is too expensive for household budget.

But the point about the oly set is feasible. But means I still won't be able to practise squats with a weight more than I can power clean...would I be stuck with single leg squats.

Ford Prefect
09-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I'd still go with an oly set.