PDA

View Full Version : Making Dit Da Jow

Dale Dugas
09-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Man I wish I could find a cheaper source for Rotgut vodka when I make Jow. I make it 5 gallons at a time and its over ten bucks for 1.75 liters. Thats 100 bucks for the booze alone.

Anyone out there know a source for cheaper booze, whiskey or vodka?

Thanks,

Dale Dugas

PlumDragon
09-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I buy 1.75L bottles in 6-bottle cases, and the price before tax comes to about $11.99 / bottle if I buy it in that volume. I spent several hours searching rabidly for cheaper prices and only found a 6-bottle case at a 10% discount from that but a liquer license was required, which, of course isnt cheap.

IMO, your best bet is to purchase from liquer "clubs" via internet so you dont have to pay taxes...Unfortunately Im not so lucky to be able to do so here in AL...

BTW, while looking I happened across a chemical company that was selling 55 gallon drums of grain alcohol for like $50!! Whoa score! As my hopes piqued it ended up being denatured...A good thing I didnt make jow from that! =) Anyway, all the cheap prices Ive found is all highly toxic denatured stuff...

I know this wasnt much help, but hopefully it was worth something to ya. ;)

Oso
09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Dale, if you're making it yourself the end cost per oz. is still cheap even at retail prices. I'm assuming though that you're not paying over $100 for the herbs.

I just made 1.75 gallons at an end cost of .73 an oz.

you could build your own still, i suppose. : )

AFAIK, the state laws are only against the selling of privately made liquor. In NC you can make up to 200 gallons a year for personal consumption.

Mel
09-23-2005, 02:46 AM
You can make up to 200 gallons a year of wine and beer. The alcohol is made by the action of the yeast in consuming sugars. The limit on yeast alcohol production is about 18%, and then the yeast dies off from its own alcohol byproduct.

Distillation (hard liquors) is illegal in all 50 states. It's a different process, and it can be dangerous too.

Having said that, here is an interesting site: distillation (http://homedistiller.org/) -- for informational purposes only. ;)

Oso
09-23-2005, 03:28 AM
well, it's not illegal...you just have to pay the tax.

luckily I know how the local ABC officer feels about the issue. ;)

Dale Dugas
09-23-2005, 03:48 AM
well, it's not illegal...you just have to pay the tax.

luckily I know how the local ABC officer feels about the issue. ;)

Thanks Guys, The ATF people here in Mass dont take lightly to you having a still. I dont want to lose the car and go to jail so Ill stick to cheap vodka.

Just wanted to know what other people had found for cheap booze.

Thanks,

Dale

P.D. Denatured would have made some nice poison jow to give to your enemies... ;)

mufty
09-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Man I wish I could find a cheaper source for Rotgut vodka when I make Jow. I make it 5 gallons at a time and its over ten bucks for 1.75 liters. Thats 100 bucks for the booze alone.

Thanks,

Dale Dugas

Hi Dale Dugas :- I am interested in your recipe for Jow. Could you post it up Ta very much

Mufty :D

Dale Dugas
09-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Hi Dale Dugas :- I am interested in your recipe for Jow. Could you post it up Ta very much

Mufty :D

Mufty,

Sorry not going to be posting any formulae here for free. You can contact me off forum anytime at Jooklumpai@hotmail.com or Daledugas192@comcast.net to purchase both the herbs and the written formula or just the written formula.

Dale

Judge Pen
09-23-2005, 07:55 AM
General jow question: Is vodka (80 proof) the preferred alcohol or will any clear liquer work? Does the alcohol content, higer or lower, make a difference? I've always been told to soak the herbs in vodka, but I was curious if a higher alcohol content would make the jow stronger or more effective.

Dale Dugas
09-23-2005, 08:10 AM
the higher the proof means the less water and more alcohol you have. You want to have a balance of water, the universal solvent and alcohol which is another solvent. I have had the best luck with 80 proof or 40%.

bong
09-23-2005, 08:12 AM

Dale,

I was told by Hakka herbalists in Hong Kong to use gin to make jow and
most folks over there use gin and occasionally whiskey.

Gin was recommened over vodka because its made with juniper berries,
and it was more reactive than vodka.

Bong

Oso
09-23-2005, 08:18 AM
JP, the mix i just made called for whisky.

mine just came of age though i'm letting is soak till i actually run out of what I've had.

if you ever get over here, i'll give you some. btw, Brewgrassfestival.com is Oct 22

Dale Dugas
09-23-2005, 08:27 AM
yeah I have heard of gin(used it once) and whiskey. Seems to be the cheapest booze is vodka. Gin and whiskey are more money.

jow helps me train more.

Judge Pen
09-23-2005, 08:44 AM
JP, the mix i just made called for whisky.

mine just came of age though i'm letting is soak till i actually run out of what I've had.

if you ever get over here, i'll give you some. btw, Brewgrassfestival.com is Oct 22

I can think of better uses for whiskey, but not vodka.

Brewgrass festival? I already have plans for October 22. It's been a busy, busy year for me so far. Do you guys still spar on Saturdays (or was that Wednesdays)?

EarthDragon
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
rice wine can also be used but be careful as some contain sugars that tend to make the jow have a slightly sticky residue. So always chose pure grain

PlumDragon
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Ive done quite a bit of research on the topic of solvent percentages, what proof of alcohol to use. It has been my conclusion that as long as you stay around the 30-60% region, that you your jow will age quite well. A few of the reasons are below...this get a bit complicated:

Alcohol is composed of 1 hydroxy group bonded to a hydrocarbon. Hydroxy is the OH molecule that composes 2/3 of a water molecule. When ethanoal and water are mixed, because its polar, its "visible" to the OH group in water molecules. This evidence suggests that a 50% mix of each is probably best.

However, while ethanol is an excellent solvent, it has a much lower dielectric constant than water (24.5 vs ~79), which means it has a significantly lower ability to separate ions from compounds than water does, and water is thus known as a universal solvent because of its ability to dissolve more substances than any other liquid. This evidence suggests that the mixture should be significantly more than 50% water and less than 50% alcohol.

Furthermore, water has a higher density than alcohol (1 g/cm vs about 0.75). When looking at volumes of water vs alcohol, there are more water molecules in a given volume than alcohol molecules. In equal concentrations, water molecules interact with the alcohol molecules and create hydrogen bonds between the two. When herbs are present, both will dissove the herbs and sometimes you may see this as various layers of material in your bottle of jow. When the water becomes saturated with other molecules, they will become mroe dense than the alcohol or water and layers on the bottom. For this reason, it makes sense to have more water once again, but this effect is negated by the fact that water molecules are more dense per unit volume than alcohol. Water can also hold more energy at the same temperature, which may help with lattice dissolving in the aging process.

Lastly, various herbs had varying molecules that it interacts with. For example, hong hua (safflower) has a variety of acids, a couple oils, and some sugars such as glucose. While this single example doesnt create a definitive answer, high school level chemistry labs easily show that many acids and sugars are completely dissoved in water, and only partially dissolved in alcohol, while many oils that herbs release are non-polar and will not dissolve into water or alcohol, but are only released into the jow because of the dissolution of other parts of the herb (also the acids may propagate as an aid in the aging process).

Overall, in my opinion, having a higher percentage of water than alcohol is desireable. When I make my jow, I usually top off each jug with water before remixing it and sealing it. My percentage is approximately 39% alcohol. Water is responsible for MUCH of the organic dissolving that takes place in nature, and alcohol to a lesser degree, as well as being a slight detergent. The main reason to have alcohol is to aid in dissolving some of the things that water many not be able to. The best approach would be to add a 3rd solvent that deals with more non-polar elements like some of the oil based jows available. I havent done this but as a part of my research am working towards determining if there is an increase in efectiveness with more than 2 solvents. My guess is it will be negligible, but we shall see. =)

Hope this was useful to some =)

TenTigers
09-24-2005, 06:26 AM
If you let your jow sit for a year, does it make any difference whether you grind the herbs or simply brek them into pieces? A year is a pretty long time to steep. I would think the herbs would completely yield their properties by then, yes? No?
Also, some people steam their herbs first, others have even fried them. (I have never fried them as I would think that they would carmelize the sugars and cause other changes in their molecular structure, but I will savve that for the chem majors to answer.

PlumDragon
09-24-2005, 07:58 AM
If you let your jow sit for a year, does it make any difference whether you grind the herbs or simply brek them into pieces? A year is a pretty long time to steep. I would think the herbs would completely yield their properties by then, yes? No?
You would think, eh? ;) Unfortunately not. My best bottle of jow is over 5 years old. The reactions inside there can take place very slowly. Also there are tertiary reactions that take place.
Personally, I dont like grinding up my herbs too fine. I prefer them to be broken up into small pieces or very coarsely ground. I use a mortar and pestel to obtain the exact size I want.

Im sure others will have different views than this, and some will have the same. Do yoru reasearch, build a knowledge base and determine in your head what you think is right...

Also, some people steam their herbs first, others have even fried them. (I have never fried them as I would think that they would carmelize the sugars and cause other changes in their molecular structure, but I will savve that for the chem majors to answer.
Some herbs should NOT be steamed, as they will break down due to the heat and some oils that are released will break down with exposure to light and become inert. Some very strange things are done to other herbs to prepare them. Its really something that needs to be addressed on an herb-by-herb basis. =)

Lama Pai Sifu
09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Plum Dragon,

May I ask who told you to put water in your Jao?

My Sifu, Chan Tai-San was a very respected Doctor and was one of the Directors of the Chinese Herbal Medicine Association in NY (Chinatown obviously).

I have a dozen formulas for Jao, 2 for cut powder, a few for differend plasters, herbal tonics, Internal injuries, etc. WATER was never used in any formula, and I was told to never let any water in the Jars when we made Jao.

From what I read in your posts, it seems like you are going along based on 'feel' and 'trial and error' I'm not Chinese doctor, but I don't think you'll find one who agrees that water goes in the mix.

Just trying to help.

Incidently, I do have one batch that was made in march, 1992! 2.5 gallons of Iron Palm Jao. I'll be pouring into small bottles and using it this week!

PS any Chinese doctor will tell you NOT to crush or grind the herbs for Dit Da Jao as well. DON'T DO IT EVERYONE!!!!!

herb ox
09-26-2005, 05:59 PM
LPS -
Honorable Sir, I must take you to task regarding the crushing of herbs - -it is common practice to break large pieces and pulverize the resins and stones. Crusing, breaking, tearing, smashing (all the kungfu terms we love so much! :D ) give most herbs greater contact area with the solvent, in this case an alcohol/water solution. Greater surface area translates in 6 months to a stronger jow. Furthermore, in the case of the resins, some won't even dissolve very well in alcohol so pulverizing gives a 'head start' on the dissolving process.

Regarding the alcohol/water dilemma:
This comes up from time to time on this forum. I'd say the general consensus is simply too much concentration of either is not good. While PlumFlower's practice of topping of with H20 may seem unconventional, he's still got a mixture about the same as Vodka (80 proof), the cheapest, most commonly used solvent outside of China. My Sifu told me to use Xiaoshing wine for the best mix. Indeed, I recognized the 'soysauce' aroma of Xiaoshing in many "pharmacy" jows. Xiaoshing is one of my favorite of the potent potables, and I know firsthand it has waaaaay less alcohol than vodka. So far, PlumFlower has the most convincing arguement.

When dealing with TCM, dogma only gets you halfway to the destination. The rest truly comes from experience, experimentation and practice. Just because one sifu breaks his herbs first, while another leaves them whole does not make either right or wrong. The first thing they told us in acupuncture school is: No two practicioners will give the same diagnosis, essentially eluding to the high variablility in technique in an ancient form of folk medicine.

peace,
herb ox (gotta get back to studying - big herb test tomorrow!)

Lama Pai Sifu
09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Are you kidding? NO WATER IN JAO! Who is teaching you guys? And do think you learn about TCM in a modern school? Gimme a break.

I'm not sure who you guys are, but you need to stop giving blatently wrong advise regarding chinese medicine.

I spent half my life with an incredible KF man, and a reputable doctor of TCM. I have also met many other doctors who were part of the same TCM association in NYC's Chinatown. I learned to speak Cantonese and I've forgotten more about chinese medicine in my life than most Americans will ever learn.

And I don't claim to be a doctor or even close to an expert in TCM. But my Sifu was an expert. I will listen to his teachings.

Don't want to take my word for it? Do yourselves a favor. Go see a Chinese doctor and ask him about these questions. Don't use water and don't break up the herbs for Jao. Case closed.

herb ox
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, with all due respect, everyone IS entitled to their own opinions! :D

Everyone thinks their sifu is the best... and they should!

LPS, what do you use for your jow? Vodka, wine, grain alcohol? And why is it so important NOT to break the herbs - and how is it different than slicing, chopping, etc.? Please enlighten our humble minds... ;)

peace

herb ox

PlumDragon
09-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Thank you, herb ox, for raising some very valuable points. BTW, its plum*dragon* ;)

LPS, I think you need to remove your "wall" of close-mindedness and start thinking for yourself...As if it wasnt blatenly obvious that anything less than 100% ethanol is hydrous (contains water!), you cant even buy that stuff in the stores. Your basic vodka, gin, even everclear contains water (up to 60% of it!) as well as a variety of ancillar chemicals which give the ethanol taste.

Even though you *ALREADY* use probably 60% water in your jow, I challenge you to offer real evidence (not just hearsay) that water is bad for jow, and Ill show you real evidence that water in jow works well, and 75 research studies talking about the solvency power of water, the lubricating capabilities of water, and the solubility of water with alcohol and *many* other substances. All good traits for use in jow. Not to mention that there are jows based solely on water (or any of the other TCM remedies made with water), some based solely on oils, some on vinegar...
Go out there and do some research man! Spend some time being intuitive and stop regurgitating things youve heard. Be willing to learn beyond what you know...

As for breaking the herbs up, there are some herbs that should only be broken up or otherwise processed *right* before making the jow for the ske of freshness; tao ren (peach kernel) is a good example...But, once again, herb ox is right: Breaking up the herbs increases the surface area and enhances the ability of the solvent (WATER and alcohol in this case) to do its job. Once again I challenge you to come up with the tineist shred of real-world evidence that there is actually a problem with "breaking apart herbs" and will most certainly consider your evidence with an open mind, as I wish you would do. Ill even go out do do my own research on your behalf to clarify the truth if you can in fact offer anything up....But until then, the burdeon of proof is on you. So please, offer some evidece, or kindly stop offering advice on the topic.

Grinding, I dont usually grind finely because I dont want to even get close to dealing with the herbs on a molecular level...But again, it makes no difference because even extremely fine grain grinds are much bigger than that. I just dont trifle with it.

Lama Pai Sifu
09-27-2005, 07:49 AM
I'll address the to Plum Dragon and Herb Ox.

Are you two suggesting that we should develop or come up with our own ideas on Chinese medicine? I need an answer to this before I can go much further.

As for your backgrounds...who are you? Are you practicing martial artists? Where have you studied? Who has taught you your chinese medicine? Again, a few brief answers here would be great.

And how are you going to show me evidence that water is better/works? Yes, we all know that water is in alcholol. It's not the same thing. If it were, we wouldn't get dehydrated from drinking it.

And breaking and grinding are two different things. Breaking big pieces up is okay. Some ingredients may not fit in the mouth of your jar. It's okay to break them up a bit.

I have learned this information from my Sifu (we know who mine, who is yours) and other CHINESE doctors.

And as far a being 'intuitive' vs. 'reguritation', I'm all for thinking out of the box. I am forward thinking in my martial arts, my schools and my life. But if you think I'm going to second guess every technique I've ever been taught, what is the point of having a teacher? I learn about things from people who know more than me.

I'm actually curious to know HOW you would know good jao from bad? You see, I don't know about any of your experiences yet. I hope you share them.

Oh, by the way, if you understand anything about TCM, you would know that most AMERICAN doctors who practice CM, wouldn't know how to make the kind of Jao that the old school teachers/doctors do/did. The knowledge is more specialized than you know. Most Modern Chinese Doctors would not even understand how real Dit Da Jao works. I think you guys have been hanging out with Brian Grey too long.

herb ox
09-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Er, sorry about the name mixup, PlumDragon... my brain has been a bit wiped out from all the studying.. frankly I've been plumb draggin :D

I was thinking about a jow made with Di Gu Pi - wolfberry bark - it's only made with hot water, but is used as a hand soak prior and post iron palm workout... just something to add to the flames.

herb ox

PlumDragon
09-27-2005, 08:50 AM
No problem herb ox. =) And once again, good point and example...

Are you two suggesting that we should develop or come up with our own ideas on Chinese medicine? I need an answer to this before I can go much further.Certainly not.
What I *am* suggesting is that we should use the same emperical and intuitive mindset in our paths as those before us, those who teach us, and those who are key in expanding the frontier of our knowledge base.
One important aspect of the hard sciences that can be useful in the field of medicine is scrutiny of ideas, and an open mind in learning more about what we already know. And for that reason I invite your argument.

As for your backgrounds...who are you? Are you practicing martial artists? Where have you studied? Who has taught you your chinese medicine? Again, a few brief answers here would be great.Is that rhetorical? How do I answer who I am? My name is Josh. yes I am a practicing martial artist. Ive studied under many people of merit, som of the more familiar might be: Sifu Dr. Timothy Sheehan (who holds 4 doctorate level degrees in various types of Alternative medicine), sifu Mark Dill (who trained under Galiano), and Master Michael Chang in AL.

And how are you going to show me evidence that water is better/works? Yes, we all know that water is in alcholol. It's not the same thing. If it were, we wouldn't get dehydrated from drinking it.By using it.
Yes, it IS the same thing. Water is easily dispersed in alcohol and they form quite easily to make a solution. Theres nothing profound or nontrivial about the water that is already in the alcohol when you buy it. Do a simple experiment: take some alcohol and pour in some water. It will only take a second and a bit of stirring to see that it forms a mixture. Do the sme thign with oil and water (one is polar, one is not) and see the obvious difference.

Getting dehydrated: When you drink something low proof like wine coolers or beer, its quite unnecessary to drink water with it because it is already so hydrated that you get enough water to not lower what your body already has significantly. But it takes more than 1 molecule of water to fully digest and metabolize 1 molecule of alcohol. Thats why you get significantly dehydrated if you take shots all night, because youre not taking in enough water to metabolize the alcohol.

And breaking and grinding are two different things. Breaking big pieces up is okay. Some ingredients may not fit in the mouth of your jar. It's okay to break them up a bit. While I dont grind for the reason I stated above, I contend that grinding is not adverse to the quality fo the jow as logn as the grinding is done right before use. I highly doubt you can offer evidence otherwise.

And as far a being 'intuitive' vs. 'reguritation', I'm all for thinking out of the box. I am forward thinking in my martial arts, my schools and my life. But if you think I'm going to second guess every technique I've ever been taught, what is the point of having a teacher? I learn about things from people who know more than me. I didnt ask you to 2nd guess everything you have learned. I didnt ask you to "second guess" anything. Im asking you to take the least bit of an open stance on a SINGLE topic. And, the second you can show me some reason I should believe what you say, some shred of emperical or induced information further than "this person said so", I will embrace it with open arms. I am a man of science. Hard science. I sit at my desk and test, research, verify and validate, design, test again, and implement all day long. I need real evidence, something more than, "One rainy day back in August of 1987, I recall my sifu saying something alogn these lines:_______". A reference from a text book, a research study (believe it or not, TCM has been researched and tested in plenty of scientifically set labs over the past 50 years ad nauseum), anything...

I'm actually curious to know HOW you would know good jao from bad? You see, I don't know about any of your experiences yet. I hope you share them. Well aside from the fact that I curently have ~12 gallons of jow sitting in a climate controlled environment (the newest gallon of which is approaching 3 months in age, the oldest approaching 6 years) and that Ive gone through that much more in the past experimenting with subtle changes, Id say I have a pretty decent idea what is bad. Ive used terrible, excellent, and everything in between.

Oh, by the way, if you understand anything about TCM, you would know that most AMERICAN doctors who practice CM, wouldn't know how to make the kind of Jao that the old school teachers/doctors do/did. The knowledge is more specialized than you know. Most Modern Chinese Doctors would not even understand how real Dit Da Jao works. I think you guys have been hanging out with Brian Grey too long.Ive talked to American doctors about jow (my mother is an RN, and a psychiatric nurse. Her, and part of her staff uses my jow on a normal basis). My recipes came from my martial arts teachers, but tat didnt stop me from researching each ingredient and each interacton until I was blue in the face.

I know nothing about Brian Gray except for what Ive heard from friends here on this forum--and from that, the opinion is not good lol.

Id like to close this by saying the following:
I certainly dont want to get this fire burning too bright. Were all here for the same thing (to learn right?). I have, and will continue to make sure that this conversation, from my end, stays entirely civil and friendly. ;)
In the end, I jsut want to know truth, and Im sure you do. And if we have to agree to disagree, Im sure that well both find that each of our methods work just as well after the argument, as they did before! But will you feel as sound with your methods as I do mine, knowing that I have researching, testing, and emperical info behind mine and that you dont? ;)

Buddy
09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
This does not aplly to jow, but... what do you use to grind herbs? I have herbs to make san huang san which is mixed with vasaline and is used instead of ice. Some of the things are bark and I'm afraid they will break my spice grinder thing.

herb ox
09-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I totally destroyed my coffee grinder just trying to grind some san qi for a blood clot powder formula I was working on. The real herb grinders cost about 200 bucks and are really, really loud. You can usually get your local herb supplier to grind stuff for you - hopefully for free, but it may incur a small fee.

So... what's the san huang san? is it san qi and huang bai?

peace out,

herb ox

Buddy
09-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Herb,
It's three yellow powder, see Tom Bisio's book, Tooth From the Tiger's Mouth, an excellant tome.

herb ox
09-29-2005, 07:20 AM
thanks, Buddy.

I'll check that one out. Let us know how your san huang san turns out!

peace

herb ox

ntc
09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
OK... thought I'd put in my two cents and share as well.

First, a bit about my background:
- Chinese doctor from Southern China, Cantonese speaking, working with Dit Da for over 30 years, and a southern style kung fu practitioner
- My dit da training over the years come from several locally well-known Dit Da doctors - some purists and one from the Southern Dragon kung fu family, in addition to knowledge passed on from my own family

Regarding using water:
- I use rice wine for my jow, but I also know other Dit Da doctors (though very few) use water, and I have seen their jow work as well. There are also others who use either vodka or even vinegar. I prefer to use good quality rice wine because of its strong property of invigorating and moving blood, hence its ability to work on blood stasis.
- From my own perspective, I feel that because of its blood-related properties, dit da jow made with rice wine would be much more effective than that made from water which from a Chinese Medicine perspective, does not have the same blood-related properties.

Regarding grinding into powder:
- I usually just soak mine whole, but mainly because some of the herbs are not easily ground into powder especially if you don't have the right equipment, which I don't
- I have, at the same time, also made jow using herbs that have been ground, and it seems to work just as well
- I am not aware of any strong basis on why these herbs should not be ground into powder, and would love to find out more about why this is a detriment

And thanks to you all for sharing your information.

Lama Pai Sifu
09-30-2005, 04:44 AM
NTC, thanks for your informative and very diplomatice post.

I too have heard of people, escpecially on this forum, use water in the formulas. I see, as a chinese doctor, you do not.

Look, as far as grinding up the herbs, I was just told not to. But my Sifu could have easily meant that it was not necessary to. I don't know if it would actually be bad to do so, It would make sense that you would cover more surface area. That being said;

Back to water. It's called Dit Da Jao, remember? Not Dit Da Soy.

Keep it real guys, lol

Dale Dugas
09-30-2005, 05:18 AM
poisonous herbs.

I have a few formulae that use a large amount of aconite, others have snakes, roaches, and other herbs that are termed toxic in materia medica.

Anyone notice the big difference with jows that have these poisons and those that do not. I notice the poison jows tend to be very warming, where as the non toxic jows seem to be a little on the cooling side compared.

Comments brothers and sisters?

Dale

herb ox
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Brother Dale,

What kind of jows would use these toxic herbs? Wu Ling Zhi and aconite are the ones I've heard of most in iron palm formulae. As for the ****roach - I assume you're referring to Tu Bie Chong? That is salty and cold and is a strong blood mover. So, when you say 'warming', are you referring specifically to a warming sensation? It may be due to the strong blood moving qualities of the herbs, and not so much the 'qi' of the herb (i.e. warm, cool, etc)...

peace out

herb ox

Qiman
10-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Could someone explain the difference between Iron Palm Liniment and Dit Da Jow? Is it a Jow specifically made for Iron Palm training to restore and build bone/connective tissue?

yu shan
10-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Gentlemen

I will be receiving my herbs soon. I am told to expect 2 gallons from this batch. My question, can anyone give me a headsup on where/what kind of container to look for? All I can find are these 1 gallon sizes. I apologize if this has been spoke about here already, I do not have time to research. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, many respects to all here.

herb ox
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
yu shan -

I've heard of a method using a gallon container that ultimately yields 2 gallons (no, this is not like asking for a large cola in a small cup at the local drive thru :rolleyes: )

Place herbs in container
Fill with vodka or whatever solvent you prefer
Let it sit for 30-60 days
Pour off half of the contents into a fresh container (minus the herbs)
Top off the container with the herbs still in it
Wait another 30 days
Pour off half again - now you have your first gallon of jow
Top off the jar with the herbs - let sit for 60 days
Strain and enjoy neat or on the rocks :D

I've used this method with reasonable results, although I can't be certain the potency of the first batch is equal to the second, but both batches worked just fine for me.

good luck

herb ox

manofkent
10-27-2005, 02:26 AM
hey would someone mind posting how to make DDJ here please. The one I buy is really expensive and its got a thousand weird and wonderfull things in it that I can never get hold of.

Asmo
10-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Could someone explain the difference between Iron Palm Liniment and Dit Da Jow? Is it a Jow specifically made for Iron Palm training to restore and build bone/connective tissue?

You already answred your own question ;) It is indeed. But as there are so many different recipies for 'regular' Dit Da Jow, there as as many different 'iron palm' Jow's as well.. Some of them for example counteract the effects of iron in the later stages of IP. Also, IP Jow's are often a bit more warming then Jow's made to treat bruises etc.

Do a search on iron palm on Google and you will find many shops offering herb packages for iron palm training. There you'll also see they have been made for slightly different purposes. You could email the shops for explanation on their specific Jow so you could pick any that best matches your needs. I'm sure there is more information to be found on this forum if you use the search function well.