PDA

View Full Version : Elbow methods of your style

SPJ
09-23-2005, 07:53 AM
The elbow methods of each style are unique.

Some are similar and some are not.

Elbow methods are very much stressed in Ba Ji and mantis.

What about your style?

:D

mufty
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM

What about your style?

Yep we use elbows to block and strike with infact we have two forms dedicated to the use of the elbow . :)

count
09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
12 Elbows in bagua

downwards front
upwards front
sideways downward
sideways across
sideways drilling in
rolling in
rolling out
pulling in
pulling back
twisting backwards
planting
pulling up

SimonM
09-23-2005, 08:31 AM

What about your style?

At my Canadian school elbow methods were highly stressed. We drilled elbows against pads, we did one form that literally consisted on nothing but various elbow and knee strikes, and though my Sifu didn't really like people using elbows in sparring for liability reasons (no gloves for the elbow) my brother and I used elbows in sparring at home regularly.

Here in China we haven't done a single elbow yet. On the other hand I am already more flexible than I was before.

Becca
09-23-2005, 08:37 AM
They are quite often an extention of blocks. You block a high punch to the outside then fold your fore arm in and continue into the temple the the point of your elbow. Sometimes they are a means of redirecting the energy from an opponant's strike. You can deflect a kick by taking it on the side, then use the resulting momentum to spin inside his/her guard then deliver an elbow strike into the first bit of soft tissue you connect with.

Judge Pen
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
We have an entire form dedicated to elbow attacks too. In that form, the elbow is usually an extension of a block or an entering technique where you hook with your hand and pull them (or you) closer for the elbow technique. In this form, the elbow is followinged by a fist or open hand technique to the other side of the head.

EarthDragon
09-23-2005, 09:33 AM
great topic, usually not much attention is paid to these incredible weapons by many styles/systems

In 8 step , we have obviously 8 elbows strikes with 8 applications and use them as part of ba duan but also very good on thier own as they are hard to read and block btu have tremendous power.

horizontal
vertical
down
side
push
over
spinning
double

bigdoing
09-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Allthough considered the base form of choy lee fut, Ng Lu Ma (Five Wheel Horse) we use the elbow aprox. 45 times in that form, we use the palm five times, fu-jow once, outside block (yueng kiu) 3 times, chun three times, poon kiu three times, gwa one time.

It is trained as the foundations for the foot work but when you re-aproach it after studying for some time it becomes obvious it is a form with mucho infighting.

Besides that we (clf) use elbows at least a two times in each form that I know of.

There is also a form called running horse, which I learned as the last hand form in our posted ciriculum. that is similar to the fist form in that you repeat the same patterens during the set but use more intricate hand and footwork, however the elbows are very much trained as you practice the set mirrored with a partner and your do basicly a dat sam sing type thing with your elbow for about half the form.