PDA

View Full Version : Punchbag or Punchball

Martial Joel
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Which is better as i'm getting one to strengthen my my muscles etc. My mum seems to think the ball would be better but everybody says punchbags are were its at

What would u reccomend?

Joel

IronFist
09-25-2005, 03:51 PM
By "punchbag" do you mean punching bags/heavy bags (http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1864_59085943)?

By "punchball" do you mean a double end bag (http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1864_44107026)?

For strengthening your muscles, I'd recommend weight lifting :D

Of those two above, a heavy bag will help you hit harder and develop more power and structure. A double end bag will help you develop timing and accuracy, but won't do much for power (it's filled with air). It secures to the ceiling and the floor and bounces all over the place :D

If you were referring to different things then please specify. I've never heard the term "punchball," before, I'm just guessing what you mean.

Martial Joel
09-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks, and sorry if i confused you. You answered my wuestion that is what i meant

Mr Punch
09-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Your mum do much boxing Joel!? ;)

Ironfist's hit it in its bag. Most boxers seem to start with a speedball, not to build power, but to get them to relax their shoulders and stop trying to put everything in from the start., so they can build their speed and rhythm up.

Personally, I've been doing MA for a long time and I've just got my first heavy bag, which I love. For someone with experience I think you can go fast, relaxed and lightly enough with just the heavy bag, and power it up when you want to. But you can't go really ape on the ball.

Depending on what style you do you might want to look into other things. I used a wing chun wall bag for my (surprise surprise) wing chun and found it invaluable. The only reason I don'T use one anymore is that I live in Japan where most of the walls are either made of paper or just paper thin!

IronFist
09-26-2005, 02:39 PM
A double end bag is much easier to hang, too, seeing as how it weighs like 3 pounds total when you include the rubber straps. I would still secure it to a stud in the ceiling, though.