PDA

View Full Version : Website Update

Oso
09-26-2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.ashevillemartialarts.com/Photos.htm

hopefully seen as topical since there's a few pics of Shiye Shi on there.

the lion dance team is a couple of my brothers from yu shan's school in TN that came over to dance for our grand opening. yu shan did the drumming. Thanks again guys!!!

the guy in the white gi I'm throwing is my hung gar teacher from way back who is now a sensei in a Shorinji Kempo system.

*edit*
BTL, if you don't like this thread here, feel free to move it to the main board or delete and I'll repost there. ~ Matt

BeiTangLang
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Its all mantis man....well,...the big hairy guy in the green tee is a little strange,...but I guess thats ok....LOL!

Nice images!

Oso
09-26-2005, 05:59 PM
yea, the ones of Shiye turned out nice, there's still a few to go up.

yu shan
09-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Nice addition to your gallery. I got to talk to Charles (lubu) about that shiat eating grin. No smiles during photo opps he knows better. ;) And the post lion dance wave to the crowd... geez I`d yank that one.

More pics of Master Shr would be cool. I am in the middle of changing up my gallery and website. My goal is to change more often, hopefully by this weekend mucho more pics. Maybe someday my teacher will allow me to put up some clips. www.ponglai.com

cheers

Oso
09-27-2005, 06:55 AM
well, you know I hate it when kung fu guys act all tough in pictures and don't look like they're having fun doing what they're doing. I like to keep some levity to the whole atmosphere....smiling and sweating!

Lu Bu
09-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Roger that.

Oso
09-28-2005, 09:45 AM
sorry fellas, I'm not down with the hyped intensity...this stuff is fun to do and it looks better to prospective students if it looks like everyone is having fun doing what they're doing. if you training is intense, which I know yours is, it will show through. no need to look all grim and shiat.

-N-
09-28-2005, 01:00 PM
sorry fellas, I'm not down with the hyped intensity...this stuff is fun to do and it looks better to prospective students if it looks like everyone is having fun doing what they're doing. if you training is intense, which I know yours is, it will show through. no need to look all grim and shiat.
Yep. Besides, you look teh haerdkore if you have a big smile on your face when you beat the crap out of someone :)

N.

-N-
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
well, you know I hate it when kung fu guys act all tough in pictures and don't look like they're having fun doing what they're doing.
I hate it when I see pics on the cover of IKF or BB with some supposed master showing a tense grimmace on his face. Seems to me that the person is unable to relax, and that he telegraphs his intent.

N.

shirkers1
09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I hate it when I see pics on the cover of IKF or BB with some supposed master showing a tense grimmace on his face. Seems to me that the person is unable to relax, and that he telegraphs his intent.

N.

I agree, I find these images LOL funny. KIYIAAAAAAAA!!!! :eek:

Oso
09-28-2005, 06:16 PM
this one was funny, me cussing because Lu Bu is so much faster than I am.

Oso
09-28-2005, 06:23 PM
next frame...

Lu Bu
09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
this one was funny, me cussing because Lu Bu is so much faster than I am.

I don't know about that one, man...you dinged my head pretty nicely. :(

-N-
09-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Oso,

You're a good guy, so I fixed your pictures for you :)

N.

Oso
09-29-2005, 03:29 AM
nope, you're faster.

LOL, thanks, -N-

Sifu Darkfist
10-06-2005, 08:32 PM
very nice work its good to put a face to the ideology
you should try baji with that hip power evident in your movement.

baji is the Bear and the Tiger

Oso
10-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Thanks.

When I started looking for a new teacher 5 years ago, it was a tough call between more mantis or more bagua. I know bagua isn't baji but I was attracted to the movement because it 'fit' very well. Mantis is a struggle for me at times.

yu shan
10-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey bear, if it will make you happier, mantis is a daily struggle for me as well!

O/T when is this beer festival in A-ville? Justin brought it up and I think kejia nu ren would like to see you guys before she moves back to NYC.

Oso
10-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Hey bear, if it will make you happier, mantis is a daily struggle for me as well!

O/T when is this beer festival in A-ville? Justin brought it up and I think kejia nu ren would like to see you guys before she moves back to NYC.

yea, but you're naturally quick to start with...I was working a drill with one of my students the other night, just drill #1 but we were moving with it instead of standing still and i started speeding up on him..so he speeded up on me and we kept going faster and he freaking nailed me in the cheek bone...I just couldn't keep up...my arm was still a couple of inches away from his arm when he popped me.

Brewgrass Festival is Oct 22 - 12noon till 7pm. I can still get tickets but you guys need to decide fast...it sold out last year. So, there won't be any day of tickets.

Tickets are $30 but it's all you can drink for 7 hours plus 5 bands.

Let me know...still got plenty of floor space but I think the couch and recliner are spoken for.

-N-
10-07-2005, 08:25 AM
I just couldn't keep up...my arm was still a couple of inches away [...]]Oso,

I looked through the pics on your website. You have a greater potential for speed than you realize. You can get there with only minor adjustments to what you already know.

N.

Oso
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
i dunno, man. both my shoulders are crap, it just plain hurts to move sometimes so I know that even when I'm not hurting, the damage is affecting my strength and speed.

I'm faster than people expect me to be given my size. I stay content with that.

but, going toe to toe with a 17 year old skinny guy who knows the drill well...that's comparing raw speed to raw speed and I know where I stand.

now, speed derived from economy of motion is another thing entirely.

sparring against these younger, and certainly less experienced, guys is different than trying to see who can break through to the other on a preset drill.

-N-
10-07-2005, 09:23 AM
now, speed derived from economy of motion is another thing entirely.Absolutely. That and speed of the eyesight, the keys to real speed.

N.

Oso
10-09-2005, 06:58 AM
MORE PICS are up.

http://www.ashevillemartialarts.com/Photos.htm

Three Harmonies
10-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Nice stuff Oso! Good to see you prospering! Keep up the good work! I have to get with you guys again as I am forgetting everyone's name already (the sixties were good to me ;) :p ).
And Brewgreass Fest sounds like my kind of crowd!

Cheers
Jake :D

Oso
10-09-2005, 08:00 AM
slowly but surely...thanks.

Brewgrass is fun...you're more than welcome to head this way...a long way for a beer though.

Maybe I'll try to arrange a seminar or something for next year.

Tripitaka of AA
10-29-2005, 01:32 AM
The guy being thrown, who is now a Shorinji Kempo sensei... is that Shorinji Kempo under the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation, of Japan? I like the pics, it looks like a great place to train.

Oso
10-29-2005, 03:18 AM
These guys:

www.torakendo.com

not sure of their affiliations.

Thanks.

mantid1
10-29-2005, 06:37 AM
My question is how can you go froma a 7th dan in Goju and then make your own style and be a 10th dan. Wouldnt this water down the generations after a while.

When you become a 10th dan with 7th dan material then your 10th dan material is only 7th dan. This happens to the next guy who starts his style with his 10th dan material which is realy 7 th dan now his styles 10th dan is only 5th dan.

See what I mean?

I have also had friends who have mysterioulsy become 6 degree in styles when the last they were only 3rd:rolleyes:

I bring this up because I also see it happen in Chinese praying Mantis kung fu.

Unless Jesus is giving out rank and I dont know about it. I will go for it then. I hear that he is high level.

Oso
10-29-2005, 07:02 AM
mantid1, in the case of this group, I can vouch for the knowledge and ability of their high ranking members.

I've sparred with the two guys who are vice presidents, Todd and Kevin. they hit hard. and accurately.

I've had the honor of Dr. Cherry pulling me to the back room to show me some of their jujitsu as well as having several casual lunches and dinners with him and Kyoshi Ferrel. These guys know what the hell they are doing.

They pretty much acknowledge that anything above 5th is for non-martial achievements within their organization. About a decade ago they created a separate jujitsu system from the jujitsu that was contained within their karate curriculum. It was a group effort of about 5 of them and it was the task set for them to advance to 6th dan. As I understand it, Kyoshi Ferrel's advance ranking was from promoting the organization internationally.

so, not all karate systems are bad or watered down.

Tripitaka of AA
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Okay, now I see the problem. They do Shorinji Toraken Ryu Sogo Kempo Jutsu.

Quite a mouthful, I agree. However one of the reasons they might be doing this, is that "Shorinji Kempo", "ShorinjiKempo" and "Shorinjikempo" (see the differences?!) are all trademarks of the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation. So it would only be fair to mention the full name of your friends Art, and that would also help to avoid any misunderstandings regarding the art that is actually called "Shorinji Kempo".

Oh, and while I am at it... These days, particularly in the USA, the 10th dan thing is often an indication of something fishy, but you're absolutely right to note that anything above 7th in Japanese Budo is usually awarded for services to the Art (as opposed to strictly technical ability). This example seems to be one where the double-digit dans are on the money. :)

Good luck with the future.

Oso
10-29-2005, 01:59 PM
...ok. at the time I was training casually with them (having been friends with my old teacher for 13 or so years at the time) the only name used in the school was "Shorinji Kempo". I know the politics going back 2 steps from Dr. Cherry but beyond that...politics, politics, politics...everywhere you go...this is mainly a kung fu board so I wasn't worried about calling it the full name.

Thanks for the luck.

mantid1
10-30-2005, 01:43 PM
OSO

I never said they were bad guys. Just that I notice alot of that thing in the Karate styles. Same thing happens in CMA they just dont use dans they go by something else.

We seem to have a similar background as far as training. You dont have to convince me that the hardcore karte guys are effective fighters. I know many Karate masters I would not want to go up against;)

Have a good day

Oso
10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
mantid1, I guess I did sound a bit testy. Didn't mean to.

Just validating what they do by my personal experience with them.