PDA

View Full Version : Candid Camera

EarthDragon
09-28-2005, 12:23 PM
We all know how our techniques are supposed to look and how they look when they are shown to us by our shrfus. But has anyone ever taped themselves playing a set or just revieing you basics?

I decided it was time to tape my 4 year student performing his 5 sets. When he finished and then watched, he said wow do I look like that? I said do you think it looks good or bad? he said not as good as I thought it would look. or nowhere near the way it looks when you or xi-shueng plays it.
So I said.... then you have set a goal for yourself hmmm?

Just wondering who else has taped and watched and what they thought?
Have you found it helps or hinders?
Did the camera really add 10 lbs? LOL OK comments?

Becca
09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I tape myself doing form quite a bit right before rank test. I know what the testers are looking for and taping myself makes it easier to tell how close I am to my goals.

SPJ
09-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Video self analysis is a very good tool.

When you start to get old, and you look at the tapes of yourself performing when young.

Then you say wow I could do that but now I can't.

:D

EarthDragon
09-29-2005, 05:41 AM
LOL yes age definalty is a factor, and even funnier is the hair styles. But seriously I agree seeing yourself is a great gage to see exactly what you look like.
I brought this thread up on another board and bei made a great point that while watching ourselves we should not try to compare it others. We shoud only compare it to how we used to look and see the improvements.

I thought that was a great point. Every one moves differently and gives thier own individual flavor the thier sets.

CyCo PL
09-29-2005, 07:07 AM
All I can say is... I don't need to tape myself to know how much I suck, I'm fully aware. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
09-29-2005, 07:24 AM
using a video camera is a tool that we of the modern age are blessed with.

It is 10x better than using mirrors. It lets you see and analyze where you need to self correct.

I do this with relative frequency in the last few years. It has helped me to self correct and on revisits I can see where the changes have stuck.

Get's my vote.

Becca
09-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Video tape is much better than mirrors. I can watch myself in the mirror at the same time as someone is taping me. In the mirror, as I'm performing, I think it looks just fine. Then I go back and watch the tape and realize just how sloppy/week/impresice I looked. I think it helps to be able to step back and view your performance with the detachment that video allows.