PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on G.A.S.

Samurai Jack
09-28-2005, 08:58 PM
It's been awhile since we had a good weight lifting discussion, but I found an interesting article that got me thinking about my own training:

What Inroad are you Traveling? (http://www.naturalstrength.com/weightroom/detail.asp?ArticleID=1067)

As most of you old-timers know, I took up a 20-rep deadlift training protocol sometime last year. Since that time I've gained about twenty-five pounds and an inch or so on my arms (my personal vanity area).

The thing is, that preceeding every growth spurt, I've noticed that I require about three or four months of training. Following this period where I'm making gains in strength but not size, I'll put on four or five pounds in bodyweight. Then it's back to another few months with little muscular size gains.

So does it seem possible that for those few months I'm stimulating my CNS and cardiovascular system, which needs to catch-up before the muscle is maximally stimulated? If this is so, is there an efficient way to stimulate muscle growth more directly?

Samurai Jack
11-17-2005, 12:49 AM
TTT

Iron? Toby? Ford? Any thoughts?

Ford Prefect
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm not really sure I'm following. The correct diet coupled with sufficiently stimulating your muscles to hypertrophy should be enough. Much like everything else gaining and cutting are subject to the laws of diminishing returns, so it is natural to gain a lot more a lot faster after a cutting or maintenance phase than on the 8th week of a bulking up phase.

The only thing I can think of is that those times you gained quickly, perhaps you inadvertently changed your diet to give your muscles the fuel they needed to grow. After a month on a 20-rep program without it, I can see that causing dramatic initial gains.

bodhitree
11-17-2005, 08:33 AM
interesting. good find.