PDA

View Full Version : Steve Reeves 100 rep squats?

Samurai Jack
09-29-2005, 04:29 PM
As most of you know I've been a fan of 20 rep squats and deadlifts for several years. I've done alot of research and personal experimentation with the method, and frankly, it's worked extremly well for me. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across an article excerpt claiming that Steve Reeves used a 100-rep squat program as his sole form of leg training! Reeves reportedly recommended that one work up to squating 1/2 to 3/4 of thier bodyweight for 100 reps.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

QuaiJohnCain
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Richard Sandrak, at one time, was able to squat nearly 200% of his bodyweight into the hundreds (He was observed to just squat and squat, for an hour straight). I'm not exaggerating.

Willow Palm
09-30-2005, 08:04 AM
No I don't believe I am, but have you ever tried one legged squats?

Chief Fox
09-30-2005, 08:18 AM
SJ, how would you say that you benefitted from the 20 rep programs? And how has it impacted your martial art training?

I'm not very familiar with the program. Is it 1 set of 20 reps and that's is or is there more to it? Do you supplement the program with some explosive exercises and muscular endurance exercises?

Just curious.

Sorry, haven't heard of the 100 rep program. That dude must have some awesome quads not to mention a solid core.

Samurai Jack
09-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Here's a link (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35924&highlight=20+rep+deadlift) to my results. No I didn't do any explosive movements. I practiced my martial-arts in addition to the program about six hours a week. Really martial-arts are the only exercise I'd do if it wasn't for the fact that I like being big and (relatively) strong.

I thought I'd made up the program but it turns out it's the mainstay of a whole camp of old time strength trainers including John Grimek, Steve Reeves, and Paul Anderson. The best book I've seen detailing the program is Beyond Brawn, by Stuart McRoberts. Alternating high rep deadlifts and squats with PTP, I've found a method that I can do for life. I can't recommend it highly enough.

abobo
10-02-2005, 02:14 PM
I would suggest asking this question over at Jesse Marunde's forum. He and some of the others over there do a lot of high rep squat training. In fact, there is a video of his buddy Sarge doing 98 reps with his bodyweight on the bar.

Samurai Jack
10-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks abobo. Used to be you'd get tons of replies with a weight-training question here. I wonder where everyone went?

:(

IronMonkey
10-02-2005, 07:04 PM
No I don't believe I am, but have you ever tried one legged squats?

Are you talking about pistols?

mickey
10-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Samurai Jack,

Steve Reeves made mention of this in his book, "Building the Classic Physique the Natural Way." If I remember correctly (since locating this book amongst books may cause an avalanche), Steve developed this method while he was in the military. All he had to use was a barbell with about 100lbs of weight. He simply made the best of what he had available to use.

mickey

Hephaestus
10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Not familiar with the term "pistols" but the form of one-legged squat I'm familiar with takes not just strength and balance but flexibility as well!
Basically squatting down with one leg supporting and the other extended to ninety degrees forward, possibly with one fist extended for added balance, to a level where the buttocks and front foot are mere centimetres from the ground.
Sang H. Kim particularly recommends this practice.