PDA

View Full Version : Top Hands, Wrist, Forearm Devices

FooFighter
10-02-2005, 08:28 AM
My Top Favorite Hands, Wrist, Forearm specific strength training devices:

1. Captain of Crush Grippers
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8.
This is probably the cheapest start for serious hand, wrist, and forearms strength conditioning program. God! How I wished I knew about this device when I was in my teens!

2. The Wrist/forearm Roller with a thick handle bar. A Bruce Lee's favorite. Cheap, pratical, and you can use progressive loading. Example: http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1254. You can made your own, but this one right here is way too expensive. There are probably cheaper yet effective ones in the market.

3. Kettlebells www.dragondoorpublishing.com Expensive and specialized item

4. Clubbells.
www.clubbell.tv Expensive and specialized item.

5. Formulators. Expensive and specialized item.
http://www.theformulator.com/index.html

For me, an athlete's true strength is judge by what he can generate with his hands. It is vital for a martial artist to develop his kung fu grip. <wink> How strong are your hands?

Ford Prefect
10-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I also like eagle claws from iron mind. I do most of my pull-up and lever work from them.

I also have a bolt going through a long peice of 2x4 which is then chained to my pull-up bar. It makes for unstable, rafter pull-ups.

I have small 2x4 peices with chains through them that attach to weights which are good for pinch-grip farmer's walks or dl's.

Finishing my basement has given me so much scrap lumber, that I experiment a lot.

Oso
10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Mountain Biking:

3 x 6 minute downhill runs gripping the handlebars/brakes during the downhills to keep my fat azz from going over the bars.

:D

seriously, the legs are starting to get back in shape and my girl even commented that my butt was firmer :o and the lungs are doing ok...but, my hands are aching like hell halfway through 3 downhill runs on my loop.

oh, one of my favorites was walking with an 8x8x16 concrete block pinch gripped by the center web. one in each hand @ 32 lbs each....not much for you serious guys but ok starter.

I've been doing landscaping job on the side recently where I had to carry 50 pound bags of topsoil and manure down 9 deep landscaping steps and about 40' further around the back of the house. I tamped the bags down and gripped the plastic bag in my fists. one each hand.

on the first day I carried 24 bags...so 12 x 50#

mickey
10-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Greetings,

To train the fingers for the piercing grip, I recommend a firm tennis ball. I used to carry one around with me when I was in high school for that purpose.

mickey

IronFist
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Ford, I was gonna get some Eagle Claws a while ago. You would recommend them, I take it?

monkeyfoot
10-04-2005, 04:26 AM
I have develloped some really strong/defined forarms.

The main things I use for my wrist/hands/forearms are

1) hand grippers
2) wing chun pole (reps)
3) pole rolling
4) kettle bells

2 man things are really good foor building up the forearm too. Another great one is a wingchun exercise. You bong sau with one hand and tan sau with the other and simulatiniously roll and change. Someone holds a double fook sau over your arms with their weight coming down.

craig

Ford Prefect
10-04-2005, 06:49 AM
That really depends, Iron. I'm getting more into rock climbing, so I need to be able to pull myself up and support myself with fingertips. If I wasn't doing that, then I wouldn't bother using them. Stuff like CoC, KB's, wrist rollers, heavy farmer's walks, clubs/leverage bars, etc would be more than enough for everyday grip strength.

Ka
10-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Alternatively
You can just Climb Climb and Climb(outdoors if possible)and do everything the sport entails in training(campus, laddar, hangboard, system board)
or become a Stone Mason or Brickie or anything that involves picking up and handling odd shapes for a living.

As Oso said
MTBing MotorCross and GP gives them horrendous grip strength and endurance.