PDA

View Full Version : Bezoar

vikinggoddess
10-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Can anyone tell me about Chinese theory or history of of Bezoar in medicine?

herb ox
10-02-2005, 07:20 PM
From what I've read, the details of the origins of bezoar are sketchy at best. One scholar states bezoar was first introduced to the Chinese materia medica from trade with the Arabs or Persians who called a greenish concretion found in the 4th stomach of goats "padzahr", which translates to "counter poison" or antidote. see this link for more info (http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb98/886021125.Gb.r.html)

However, another scholar tells of a story of the possible "discovery" of the therapeutic effects of an cow bezoar as an accidental substitute for Qingmen stone (carbonate schist) used to treat a patient suffering from paralysis from stroke. The mistaken substitute produced amazing results which warranted further investigation into its effects.

For our readers less familiar with this substance, bezoar is a stone-like concretion that begins with a fibrous mass (hair, grass, bark) that sits in the GI tract long enough to solidify with bile salts and other susbstances present in the tract. Humans can suffer from bezoars as well, from swallowing too much hair, not chewing your food enough, eating too many persimmons, or even consuming too many gummi-bears!

Niu Huang, the cow bezoar used in TCM, has bitter taste and cool energy. It affects the heart and liver. It is considered an aromatic substance that opens the orifices and is used for treating delirium and connvulsions with high fever, as well as treating 'toxic blood' manefesting as boils, carbuncles, etc.

hope this helps! :o

herb ox (ain't no bezoar in this ox... I'm a chronic, ruminating masticator!)

vikinggoddess
10-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks.. I didn't know that the Arabs used Bezoar also.