PDA

View Full Version : How Many Tournaments?

wiz cool c
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
How many tournaments have you done and what kind? I did three piont fighting tournaments when I was younger. Since I started to compete again I have done one Grapplers Quest white belt gi no weight class devision. I had one match lost on points. I have also done 4 push hands tournaments in the last two years got a first place and a second place and nothing at the other two. Just curios about what other internal kung fu people are doing.

Ray Pina
10-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Grew up point sparring and gathered a nice collection of plastic guys doing sidekicks ontop of cups.

Took bronze in a Kung Fu tournament in Philly which allowed pretty heavy contact but MMA gloves and headgear. Lost a San Da match about 2 years ago, disqualified from the Wan Fe Hun last year in both sparring and chi sau.

Kind of not feeling "tournaments" or "Competition" right now. Mostly free fighting with like minded folks organized over the net, mosty Bullshido Throwdowns.

Against my master's wishes, because I have a very small percent of his total material, I'm thinking about getting into the cage if anyone has any info on that. And now that I'm 185lbs, I might want to do one more San Da for the hell of it. I've been fighting guys 220+ with no gear. So to fight guys 185 with gloves and head gear .... I feel like I should do pretty well.

wiz cool c
10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. That would be cool to see kung fu in the cage. I am going to continue to push and try a Judo tournament soon. I have been cross training in judo for a few months and love it.

wiz cool c
10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I guess me and Ray are the only internal guys who have competed before?

Shooter
10-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Since I started training tjq;
a bunch of MMA matches
a few BJJ/Freestyle tournaments