PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows any Taichi schools in Vancouver?

k2square
02-05-2001, 05:30 AM
Does anyone knows where to find a taichi school in Vancouver,BC.
Thanks

neijiachuan
02-05-2001, 06:41 AM
SYL Wushu, Taiji, Qigong Institute
Main Training Hall
(2nd Fl. of the Japanese Buddist Church)
220 Jackson Street
Vancouver BC

Instructor: Shouyuliang

I cannot stress to you enough the encouragement to check out this school. When it comes to the internal arts his students are among the best. This is definitely worth checking into.

Liang Shoyu's Website (http://www.shouyuliang.com/)

neijiachuan

Sochin
02-05-2001, 07:00 AM
I second that. Good teacher and good students.h

Kevin Wallbridge
02-05-2001, 10:13 AM
While I have the deepest respect for Master Liang and his achievements I do have some reservations about what you can learn at his club. I have trained with one of his Tudi (inner door disciples), I know two other students of his very well and two others reasonably well. I've been to his club four times as a visitor and have watched him teach Chen Taiji, Xingyi and Bagua, as well the Wushu classes and sanshou. He was also very kind and let me sit in on an advanced Qigong class.

I have had the opportunity to touch many of his students and this is where my reservations come from. In general there is not much touch training or martial application beyond a very simple level. He is cautious about what he gives out (and this is very good ethics that I do not fault), in fact it is said that he holds a family Snake-style lineage that even his most senior students have never even seen. However, having had the opportunity to train with teachers who share more openly I wonder if his students could not be quite a bit better martially.

If you want top-notch forms and world-class coaching for competition (as well as the best Qigong there is to offer) then he is the man. If you want martial skills and understanding of the Jings you may look for someplace where these are more openly discussed.

My humble apologies for any offence.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

GLW
02-05-2001, 04:12 PM
With Liang Shouyu, if you want to get in on the ground floor of applications, you can't just do his Taijiquan or forms class. You will need to attend his Shuai Jiao class. However, this will require several months to learn how to fall before you go with a partner (usually).

Liang's applications are quite good but can you really fault him if he does not put everything on the table with people who have been with him for only a few years. That type of training often does not get considered until a student passes at least 5 years with a teacher and appears to be lasting longer with them.