PDA

View Full Version : State of Union with CCK TCPM

mantis108
10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
This is inspired by a question that was raised by TaiChiMantis on the other thread.

First and foremost, I would like to thank Yu Shan, TaiChiMantis and all my friends here for the great support that you have given me. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

It has been awhile since I did a report on the state of union of CCK TCPM. Perhaps now is a good time to reflect on that.

In the past couple of years, CCK TCPM has suffered some great losts. Some of the more prominant figures like Sifu Kwong Kwan Wei, Se Siu Fook, David Cheng and Ng Hing Chau passed away. Even though it didn't create a vaccum to the transmission of the style, the effect on moral is significant IMHO.

Despite the chatters of the HK headquarters, it has been more or less dormant. I have been trying and still trying to get the message through that we would like to see a more prominant leadship role from the HK headquarters. The good news is that they have been considering to develope a website for a started. I will try to update everyone on the progress.

There used to be robust online activities both online and amongst the CCK TCPM US & Canadian community. This has been replaced with a moderate to quiet scale. For example, there used to be a newsletter published by the US CCK TCPM federation but it's not available anymore. I believe there is a reorganization going on with the US federation. How long it's going to take, is beyond me. One thing that we need to address is standardizing the CCK TCPM curriculum. I have heard and seen some significant differences in various schools that teaches CCK TCPM. Again without an organized effort, this would be nearly impossible to achieve.

In Canada, We have seen some uplifting developments. There are couple of new schools in development including Galen Fok's and Harvey Ruppert's. Jack Wong is going to host his annual tournament despite the fact that every year it's becoming more and more challenging. Tom Ng has also expanded his school. My little club is still chucking along in Yellowknife (I am thankful for that :) ).

Personally, I can understand the lack of online involvement of CCK TCPM family. BTW, there is a total online silence from the down under CCK TCPM schools which is quite puzzling as if no one is online from there. Not everyone has time in the hectic life style or in the position (material wise) to share their views on public forums. There are also chatters that students are discouraged to participate in discussions. I feel this is more or less an issue of communication. We have a huge family in the tens of thousands of TCPMers because GM Chiu had a teaching career that spent across decades and countries. It is my personal believe that the teaching focus of GM Chiu changed from time to time as with many other masters. I personally have heard from GM Chiu about this. So while some students of his would be focusing on certain aspects and others would be focusing on something different still. This creates a situation where some distrust might be happening. To some people, avoiding controversy through online community may sound like a good idea. Ultimately, it is what we want for our family that is the priority. We can not just sit back and pretend everything is fine and dandy. I believe concerns should be voiced and addressed. But not everyone recognize the importance of that or they feel that saving face is the right thing to do. So...

In a time where great number of alternative Kung Fu styles and martial sports are more readily available and accessable through the internet, we need more open dialogue and support through out the ranks to help promote a great art such as CCK TCPM.

Mantis108

TaichiMantis
10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Wow....I didn't even see this until now. There are just a lot of things I don't understand or even agree with, so I keep asking questions....which I guess is not the chinese way. I keep stumbling over east/west ettiquete issues...I'm just a lover of history with a thirst for knowledge. You are a kind man Mantis108...