PDA

View Full Version : Early Recovery

chrisb
10-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I started back doing Hung Kuen after a 4 year abscense yesterday. I did a 3 hour training session that inlcuded form work, light sparring, stance work, cardio, stretching and some conditioning (forearm, upperarm, stomach, fist), after which I really felt the aches and pains.

I woke up this morning in a lot of pain. Upper arms and forearms are swollen, muscular pain in hamstrings and calves and general aching from stretching. I want to make the point that the guy I partnered with for conditioning has been focusing on it every day for a few years, so it was like being beaten with a baseball bat - the rest of the aches I kind of expected after quite an intense training session.

Just wondered a few things:

- Is there anything I can do on these 'days after' to aid recovery? Dietary or otherwise. I'm lucky enough to have a swimming pool locally, but wasnt sure whether that would be constructive or not today.

- How long does this usually last for? Am I to expect this after every training session for a month, or will the degree of aches and pains decrease from now on?

- Would it be wise to continue partnering with the aforementioned guy for conditioning or switching to someone less seasoned?

Thank you in advance :D

bodhitree
10-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Protein! Potassium also.

bodhitree
10-07-2005, 08:42 AM
WATER WATER WATER

how could i have forgotten?

blake
10-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Hot showers, massages, and strething really helped me.

FooFighter
10-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Chris

I am glad you started back in Hung Kuen. Please continue to keep us informed and share your personal insights in your practice. Since you have deconditioned yourself, I am not surprised you are in pain now after a long rest away from your previous training. You should have taken it more slowly and be more easy on yourself. However what is done is done.

Here is what you can do to recovery from D.O.M.s:

1. Drink plenty of Water. A gallon worth of water a day, brother.

2. Do light cardio like the stationary cycle biking or walk on the treadmill
on its lowest intensity and do 20 mins to flush out the lactic acid.

3. Do Warrior Wellness http://www.rmax.tv/warrior.html. Daily morning practice of WW will improve your kung fu and help your recovery.

4. Change your diet to fit your health and fitness needs.

5. Use "superblue" www.bluestuff.com. I highly recommend this for sore muscles. I recommend this to all my clients. Rub a little superblue on your sore areas and you will see it work fast to relief your pain without it burning you.

6. Taking about three grams after a workout of Acytl L-Carnitine signifigantly reduces DOMS the next day.

7. Massages or alternate cold/hot showers on your sore areas. I take a 3 mins cold shower then spend 5 mins in the Sauna and alternate between cold shower and sauna. This seem to help me alot.

8. Lastly you can take advils or aleves. This help reduce the muscular inflamation.

9. Get enough rest and sleep between your next workout. Do not train while you are injuired or sore. Unless you make money off from kung fu or someone has dishonored the shaolin temple and killed your innocent sister, take it easy on yourself. Wait until you have completely recovery before going gung-ho again. <wink>

Yours in CST,
Bao

chrisb
10-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Thank you all for your responses! :)

I have been getting in about a gallon of water, going for 3-4 20 minute walks (followed by stretching) and have 2 hot-to-cold showers each day since Wednesday. Alas it has not been enough to recover me enough to train today :( However, hopefully next week I shall be much more prepared and the recovery period will be a lot shorted... I hope!

Will let you know how it works out!

Thanks again!

_William_
10-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Vitamin C, especially before a hard workout, seems to help too.

IronFist
10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's called ease back into it. I get sore if I take a 2 month break. Four years? Yeah right.

FooFighter
10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Two month break? Iron, that is a sin from where I am from, bro. <wink> Yes, ease your arse back into the groove seem right.

IronFist
10-09-2005, 12:35 AM
I was talking about weight lifting :D I hardly ever get to train MA anymore :(

FooFighter
10-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Two months off from weight lifting sound good.