PDA

View Full Version : Elvis wore patches on his gi.

Judge Pen
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
We all know that some arts love to put patches on their uniforms. Mainly kenpo, TKD and karate people (like Elvis). What I want to know is who started this? My guess is, and I'm totally speculating, is that some military people who learned martial arts overseas started the idea of patches since it dovetailed in with their military uniform traditions. Am I off base here?

MasterKiller
10-06-2005, 11:54 AM
From the looks of SD, it was a Shaolin tradition preserved by Ie Ching Men. :p

Judge Pen
10-06-2005, 11:59 AM
From the looks of SD, it was a Shaolin tradition preserved by Ie Ching Men. :p

It's Ie Chang Ming. :rolleyes: :D

Ou Ji
10-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Interesting question. Never really thought about it but I had a patch or two back in my old karate days mid '70s into the '80s. I got that from my first teacher.

I also went to a school once where the instructors didn't wear belts, just an instructor patch on their uniform.

Bikers like to do the patch thing too. I was confused back then and wore a large Kenpo patch on the back of my sleeveless denim jacket while riding. Not that I was looking to start any fights or anything. :D

EarthDragon
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
The cool thing was that Elvis has a patch of himself on his Gi. Ed parker had to love that one.

Judge Pen
10-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Ed didn't care as long as Elvis kept paying for those private lessons. When you go to Graceland, they have Elvis' gi on display and a little video of Elvis doing some karate and breaking bricks. Too funny.

Mortal1
10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Patchs r gay. So are men who wear earings. Or any peicring for that matter. By gay I mean way out of style.

Ou Ji
10-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah but when you're as old as I am you just wait it out until it's back in style again. Believe me everything comes back in sooner or later.

ED, this is the second time your comment mentioned Elvis in the present tense. You know something we don't? :D

Ou Ji
10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Actually it could have come from beating the crap out of your gi and not having the money to buy a new one.

I still have my last gi and it's pretty ragged. Sleeves torn off from the throws, the little ties ripped off. I have a dragon patch holding the bottom of one legs seam together. Ahh the memories, the bruises, the blood.
:p

GeneChing
10-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Patches (http://www.martialartsmart.net/All_Patches.html)

I've always found tha patch phenomena interesting. The whole point of uniforms in the martial arts is to eliminate ego and identity, to make every one equal. Somewhere along the line, someone thought that was too bland and started adding patches to show affiliation and rank. It just spiralled out from there, I imagine. You don't see patches so much on traditional uniforms, but then again, patches were a lot harder to make back in the day. Perhaps you're right about the military thing, Judge Pen, but the patches today are so ridiculous.

You know what? I have a bag of absolutely hideous TKD patches right behind me that I was going to throw away. If you send me a SASE, I'll send you one. ;)

TenTigers
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Ed Parker's organization has several patches they wear on their uniforms-the Kenpo Patch, the Universal pattern, the international kenpo karate assn, the international kenpo tournament,and sometimes the Flag.
I also like to wear about six patches on my uniform-but they're all eye patches.

SimonM
10-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Patchs r gay. So are men who wear earings. Or any peicring for that matter. By gay I mean way out of style.

I used to wear an eyebrow ring.

It got ripped out.

I used to wear an ear ring. It got totally squished during a wrestling match and I was afraid it would get ripped out the next time. Now I don't have any piercings.

SimonM
10-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Ed Parker's organization has several patches they wear on their uniforms-the Kenpo Patch, the Universal pattern, the international kenpo karate assn, the international kenpo tournament,and sometimes the Flag.
I also like to wear about six patches on my uniform-but they're all eye patches.

Dude! you have six eyes?

<Ok, I'm in one of those moods today.>

EarthDragon
10-07-2005, 08:10 AM
yes Elvis is alive.... I saw him eating breakfast at the golden griddle in Whichita Kansas.

yutyeesam
10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
The PATCH of ALL PATCHES:

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=65317&langId=-1&product_parentId=10059&crumb=13501-13920&categoryId=10059&parent_category_rn=13947

rendering all patches inferior!!

David Jamieson
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Patches are definitely tied to the military beginnings of the asian martial arts in the Western mind.

It's an american thing.

First formal and recognized martial arts practice from asian source in the us was with the US air force in the mid 1950's. Karate and Judo was brought into the training regimens of airmen.

It's equally an american thing to be preoccupied with status and rank in no matter what field. Especially in martial arts where we see familial titles used as ranks now instead of simple denotations of family members.

IE: Sifu has come to be a rank in a great many peoples outlook. Si Hing is a rank and so on. Even in other asian martial arts, this is teh way in the americas and teh west in general. Now China's into it too! With the duan system! Although, the intention is different in some respects.

Anyway, the Nascar Gi's we all see all patched up with props to your momma embalzoned across your back and so on is a totally american thing.

I personally think they're goofy, but whatever floats yer boat I guess.

EarthDragon
10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
yutyess sam,
LOL the grandmaster patch! hillirious... good find.

Mortal1
10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I too had an eyering once in 1993. It also was ripped out. Looked cool for a while. It just seems so played out when I see them now. At the time no one had them. Everyone used to ask me the same question"did that hurt?"

Ou Ji
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Eyerings and such are just targets in a fight. It's like long hair, doesn't go well with fighting no matter how cool it looks.

Hau Tien
10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I had 8 earrings in my left ear and one in my nipple for the entire 6 years I spent bouncing redneck bars/clubs. Never once had them pulled or grabbed in the many, many altercations I was involved in.

Now I have two standard earrings and one large gauge (I can put a bic pen through it) in my left ear and a matching large gauge piercing in my right. I've not gotten in any fights since then, but if someone ever ripped out one of my piercings, they best follow it up with something that knocks me out, cause I'll be right ****ed ;)

Just to note... I don't train with the large gauge piercings in... but when they're that big, they just slide out realy quick and easy anyway :)

SimonM
10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
The eyebrow ring wasn't ripped out in a fight. It was ripped out in a Bungee Run accident. ;)

Still left me with blood all over my face though. :D

PangQuan
10-08-2005, 08:40 PM

its kinda funny that men have been wearing earings for thousands of years, and now its out of style...:rolleyes:

TenTigers
10-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Hua Tien, I wouldn;t rip those out, I'd just chase you with a magnet!

ricardocameron
02-24-2007, 12:05 PM
We all know that some arts love to put patches on their uniforms. Mainly kenpo, TKD and karate people (like Elvis). What I want to know is who started this? My guess is, and I'm totally speculating, is that some military people who learned martial arts overseas started the idea of patches since it dovetailed in with their military uniform traditions. Am I off base here?

Aren't there patches on GM The's and Master Hiang's paintings and pictures from when they were young over in Indonesia? So they go back to at least then..... But I think you're rightaboutthe military origin idea.

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
*Hack* *Cough* *Hack*

I'm choking on the dust you stirred up:D when you revived this thread.....

Where'd you find it? Was it buried with the WMD's?:D

ricardocameron
02-24-2007, 01:23 PM
HaHA! :D I was looking up info on Ed Parker and his American Kenpo, and saw an SD reference in the thread about patches....one thing led to another..**** tangents! ;)

Shaolin Wookie
02-24-2007, 01:29 PM
**** that Ed Parker.....don't know why SD gets caught up in that crap..........

I guess it's the haters who think SD looks like Kempo....which it doesn't.....

Funny though, how you can have conversations that travel in time......

D-FENS
02-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I want one with the American flag and Jesus throwing a reverse punch on it.

Shaolin Wookie
02-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Then another one where it shows him ripping the heart out of the guy he just punched, saying "This is the body, beeyatch!"

Then another one where he puts it back in the chest, sews it up, and apologizes for the misunderstanding....:D

Li Ma-Keh
02-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmmm',...maybe 'Patches' are a 'poor-mans' Tattoo!!? Afraid to commit to a TATTOO!?,...buy a patch or two',...(.J.K.'0,..LOL'! Li Ma-Keh p.s., I have no tattoos',....lol'.

SPJ
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
yes Elvis is alive.... I saw him eating breakfast at the golden griddle in Whichita Kansas.

I just shook hand with Elvis (impersonater) in vegas 4 days ago.

:cool:

Dark Knight
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
He also had the patch on his guitar.

Go to a Hard Rock Cafe and the pin that is the Elvis Guitar has the Kenpo patch on it

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Read Inside Elvis (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kb206.html) by GM Ed Parker. I did. Cover-2-cover. And I didn't even really want to know about Elvis that much.

PangQuan
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
that actually makes me want to read that....and i dont even care about elvis

Blacktiger
02-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Elvis, Rock & Roll and Kung Fu

A match made in heaven:D

Mr Punch
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Can't post them now cos I'm at work, but if someone's good enough to search youtube there are a couple of sweet vids of The King doing karate! ;) :)

GeneChing
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Elvis did amazing things for the martial arts doing his reign. We need another great rock star to start a practice. It would be good for our public image. I've been hoping Gwen Stefani will take it up. :cool:

Blacktiger
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
What about David Lee Roth :eek:

He was a martial arts freek for a while - he trained with Benny The Jet for a while if my memory serves me well.

:p

SanHeChuan
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Didn't the chin woo start wearing patches, like when they invented patches. I've seen a few old black and white photos of kung fu men with a shield on their uniform.

http://www.jingmo.org/images/600_Jingmo_group_2_resize.jpg

SPJ
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7BdZF5LSk

the king of rock and roll.

he awoke and inspired millions.

--

from tupelo, mississippi to memphis, tennessee. working in a restuarant, singing in the church, to singing for millions to awake women rights/liberation--

--

:)

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
To birthing a daughter.......

Who married........:(

Michael Jackson?:eek:

SPJ
02-27-2007, 08:56 AM
I visited graceland a few times.

I like the garage turned into office. there is a typewriter that he worked on lyrics I think.

there is the bus and airplane that he toured with.

--

my sis likes the corridor that decorated with all the golden records.

--

we first had a record player, too in the 60'. then tape recorder/player, 8 tracks, cd in the 80's.

--

sorry brought back so many memories.

I vividly remember Elvis last concert. He was overweight and had problems etc.

--

long live his music and long live the king.

--

:D

BruceSteveRoy
02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
personally i feel we should all wear elvis patches on our uniforms. 2ndly if you havent seen the cheesy b-rate movie bubba hotep starring bruce campbell (star of evil dead 1,2 and army of darkness) than you should. its so bad that it is totally awesome. it deals with how elvis didnt die and is now in a old folks home that gets attacked by a mummy and he has to fight it off.

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I saw it, and it was pretty cheesy.

But I disagree. It wasn't totally awesome......

It was friggin' rad!

BruceSteveRoy
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
no SW this is friggin rad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Arcerion/awesome.jpg

and they are a making a prequel to bubba hotep called bubba nosferatu. and elvis will be fighting a vampire. but i don't think black jfk is in this one.

Shaolin Wookie
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
That is rad, and.....

That is even radder....