PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Lady Against Biggest Guys

YongChun
10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
What stories have you got from your club regarding the difficulties or successes of smaller ladies against larger guys? What could they do and what couldn't they do? Was the training different for them than the training for the men?

For those who also do Brazillian Jujitsu, do the smaller ladies have a better chance with Jujitsu/Judo/Aikido or with Wing Chun (generic name) or for that matter Thai boxing?

Ray

David Jamieson
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Smaller ladies do not compare to larger guys in physical confrontation.
What more proof is required besides the world we live in and some 5000 or so years of history?

kj
10-09-2005, 08:22 AM
What stories have you got from your club regarding the difficulties or successes of smaller ladies against larger guys? What could they do and what couldn't they do? Was the training different for them than the training for the men?

For those who also do Brazillian Jujitsu, do the smaller ladies have a better chance with Jujitsu/Judo/Aikido or with Wing Chun (generic name) or for that matter Thai boxing?

Ray

It depends on the little lady and the big guy. Size, strength and speed definitely do matter, and especially in non-cooperative situations (which covers a broad range of scenarios). Big guys will always have their advantages. I have never yet seen any training method, skill set or technique that provides a guarantee for the smaller or more physically disadvantaged person. It can take quite a lot of skill to offset innate physical advantages.

At the same time there is justification for hope and persistence for those with reasonable goals. I have seen evidence of it when the smaller person has significantly more skill and control abilities than the larger person. Larger people also have imperfections and sometimes make "leveragable" mistakes. Luck, fate, or divine guidance can sometimes be an interceding factor not limited to the occasional banana peel.

In "real life" situations (i.e., true violent encounters, versus real or feigned violence by consensus) many attackers are mentally or physically caught off guard by a victim who fights back. Preferring a more docile victim, many decide this particular assault isn't worth the trouble. This is a much more frequent type of real life scenario than the arguments typically represented in forums like this one.

Depending on who you are, learning protect oneself from so-called "scrubs" of various sizes and natures can be a very significant accomplishment, and something with more consequential value than a six-pack of MMA competitions.

I am in no way suggesting that the practice of Wing Chun or any martial art is adequate for personal defense. The merit of martial arts for self defense is at best a component of a more comprehensive and personally tailored solution.

What is important and worthwhile as an investment depends on one's frame of reference, and not merely a function of intelligence or rationality. The value of martial arts is hardly limited to besting quasi Sumo-wrestlers in front of an audience. For some, it's less about grandeur and guarantees, and more about simply increasing one's odds and potential opportunities. Enjoying the journey along the way is what provides the balance and more assured value.

More to Ray's questions though. In our way of practice, men and women are taught to train the same. The challenge early on for most guys is to learn how to train more like women, ironically enough. In particular, to substitute brute strength, telegraphing and over commitment, by developing more subtle ways of controlling and managing their bodies and minds. Later on, physical attributes (mass, strength, reach, etc.), experience, and risk taking tendencies once again give the men increased advantage even when skill is comparably ranged.

For me personally, my biggest and most consistent advantages thus far seem to be my ability to upset, disrupt or off-balance my opponent, and to neutralize many would-be attacks without becoming upset or off-balance myself. Depending on the person and the situation I can sometimes launch even very large partners entirely off their feet and back quite far and hard (for them). I fully realize that is not the ultimate in performance; I'd much prefer sufficient skill to keep them at arms length and drop them on the spot. Still, it's something. And in "real life" a little something could potentially buy some time or additional opportunity. Innate sensitivity helps, though naturally the more skilled the other person is, the more difficulty I have in accomplishing these simple things, no less reap rewards of my own attacks.

I am unfortunately limited in my ability to execute and practice leg attacks. This is a function of my damaged knees and not due to being the smaller person. While this disappointingly limits my capabilities and development in Wing Chun, it would preclude the practice of something like Thai Boxing. The precariousness of my joints also makes the grappling arts impractical. Beyond theorizing about what one can or cannot ultimately accomplish in application, there is the question of what one can do and sustain in routine practice. Thus the usual theorizing and generalizations regarding the value of MMA is moot in my case, and no doubt for some others.

Many factors uniquely combine to determine what is best, worst or appropriate for each individual. I have little faith in universal solutions or generalized assumptions, even based on something as obvious or seemingly deterministic as size or gender.

Regards,
- kj

Hendrik
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I am unfortunately limited in my ability to execute and practice leg attacks. This is a function of my damaged knees and not due to being the smaller person. While this disappointingly limits my capabilities and development in Wing Chun, ...........
Regards,
- kj

It is not an unfortunate limited or damage or disappointing.... it is an empowerment and setting free mission. Without being ther how can one set others free? without going through dark night how can one know how to walk in the dark but not lost?

Next time when we meet I have a little present for you.

If That is God's will, I dont know.

However, how wonderfull if we can see others heal and getting stronger, feeling empower and free? In the mean time, lets pray and believe your body is not a piece of machine.

You still have to do your job for 30 mins a day but Thus I have heard it has strong healing capabilities and it certainly improve one's SNT.....or WCK or Qi or fajing too..... something one wants to accompanion with until our old age....

Now, Peace and Harmony
With God everything is possible.

Hendrik
10-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Ray

Ray,

Your question seem to be too general, IMHO.

IMHO
In the legend, old nun Ng Mui defeated Fang Sai-Yok who was young and having attain the iron shirt skill, via a fainted fall..... then...

Fujian Dog style is a ground style suitable for little size female.

WCK's Key is the Inch Power which enable for the smaller size or weaker physical to tap into nature power.

But individual is unique and different.
There is a plan for everyone for survival...........

anerlich
10-10-2005, 06:09 PM
One of my training partners is a female well under five feet. She won a seniors gold medal in the Brazilian World champs a couple of years back and consistently places in the BJJ Nationals.

Her overall skill level is both Wing Chun and BJJ is high, in BJJ higher than mine. While I can use my weight and strength to control her on the floor during BJJ rolling, she will instantly seize on any mistake - especially overconfidence - or loss of attention, which has led to her submitting me for real more than once.

While one of my all time favorite kwoon photos is of her left hook connecting with the distorted-as-a-result face of a bigger male sparring partner during a senior WC grading, I think she is at MUCH more of a disadvantage against bigger people in a standup situation. I think any 6' guy with comparable skill would go through her like a chainsaw through butter in a standup fight, they'd be much closer on the ground.

Edmund
10-10-2005, 06:35 PM
A friend of a friend survived an attack while she was jogging in the park. She was a smaller lady and was confronted by a nutcase trying to block her. A bit of quick reactions on her part: She knocked him down using a pair of little dumbbells she was running with before he managed to grab hold her. That let her get away while he was stunned.

Jeff Bussey
10-11-2005, 02:52 AM
I don't have any stories but to answer part of your question. The girls at our club and any of the clubs in our ving tsun family that I've seen all go through the same training as the rest of us. To be honest, if you've ever watched women's kickboxing, man some of those fights are better than the men fights. Women have different prospective on things and know that they can't rely on strength where men I think sometimes think, well I always have my strength to fall back on if this doesn't work.
At least I do :D :rolleyes: :)

kj
10-11-2005, 07:41 AM
It is not an unfortunate limited or damage or disappointing.... it is an empowerment and setting free mission. Without being ther how can one set others free? without going through dark night how can one know how to walk in the dark but not lost?

Actually, you are quite right. This notion is not something so easily expressed or widely appreciated in a venue and medium such as this.

Next time when we meet I have a little present for you.

I love surprises, and will look forward to it with childlike glee. :) I may make it out after the holidays; I'll let you know.

If That is God's will, I dont know.

What will be, will be. I certainly don't have the energy to challenge God's will! At the same time, I do hope to meet the challenges He wills to set before me.

However, how wonderfull if we can see others heal and getting stronger, feeling empower and free? In the mean time, lets pray and believe your body is not a piece of machine.

I confess that I do tend to take a rather mechanical view of things, much of the time. Fortunately, I am better appreciating the vast difference between cure and healing. I am also coming to better understand the value of a more wholistic view. Some thanks go to you for that also.

You still have to do your job for 30 mins a day but Thus I have heard it has strong healing capabilities and it certainly improve one's SNT.....or WCK or Qi or fajing too..... something one wants to accompanion with until our old age....

Yes. I do indeed hope to be practicing even when many of my more capable counterparts have long abandoned the journey.

Now, Peace and Harmony
With God everything is possible.

:)

Regards,
- kj