PDA

View Full Version : power clean & jerk 2 wheels

fa_jing
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
finally. I started a squat workout that went to pot, wisely switched out of it and got lucky to hit a PR. Power clean, normal not extreme dip, small split on the jerk ( and a bit of pressout, haven't practiced heavy jerks in a long time )

overall my progress in the power clean has been SLOW! I guess focusing on it more would have made a difference, as well as coaching.

Timeline: 7/2004 squat clean 205, no jerk
4/2005 squat clean 225, no jerk
10/2005 power clean 225, jerk

must haves: back squat + deadlift for strength, hang clean + power shrug for technique. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Keys: go down with tension like a deadlift. Stick butt high then come down rapidly just before you start the lift (like the olympic participants usually do). Lock triceps through the beginning of the movement. Shoulders not too far in front of hips. 1st part of lift is straight up, 2nd pull is up and back. The "back" portion kinda the same muscles as a heavy conventional deadlift lockout, not pulling with arms. Arms activate at the end to get you under the bar, that's all.

fa_jing
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
My BW was about 198 and I am 6'1" I've lost some weight due to stress, (sure as the seasons change, something always comes up) which I think hurts my squat but seems to help the clean. Very nice to hit a PR, actually last week I also hit a PR of 3 reps at 365 in the deadlift.

Chief Fox
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Nice work dude, that squat clean is a technical lift. My form is way bad, I only feel comfortable putting up 155 with that lift. Keep it up.

fa_jing
10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
well catching the bar in the extreme bottom position sure is technical, but you can do a version of the squat clean that is basically a power clean that you catch low around thighs parallel, and just let the momentum of the bar take you down and you should bounce a bit out of the bottom position into your front squat.

The first time I squat cleaned 225, though, it was an extreme bottom position catch, which surprised the heck out of me. :)

Chief Fox
10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
So do you use bumper plates when doing these lifts? Sometimes I know I've hit good form because the weight goes up easy but other times I come very close to dumping the whole thing. I don't have bumpers but am considering getting some.

IronFist
10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
My BW was about 198 and I am 6'1" I've lost some weight due to stress, (sure as the seasons change, something always comes up) which I think hurts my squat but seems to help the clean. Very nice to hit a PR, actually last week I also hit a PR of 3 reps at 365 in the deadlift.

Nice, dude. I haven't deadlifted more than once or twice since that meet back in March. I'm either too busy to work out (stupid job), or I'm trying to build up my quads (must squat).

_William_
10-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Nice job!!!!

fa_jing
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
thx folks. No, never have had the opp. to use bumper plates, actually I work out at Ballys these days. Cleans from the floor I do in the power rack at one of the gyms that has those rubber coated triangle design plates. And I've definitely dumped it, but usually I can feel if I'm not going to make a lift and either bail immediately or else it turns into a clean pull. Hang cleans are easier to control, if it doesn't go up you don't have to drop it.

AndrewS
10-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Congrads!

Now you can start thinking about Louie Simmons' workout for Kevin Randleman. . .

Andrew