PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hand - a lesson learned

Phacade
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Probably my own fault too. I was helping Sifu administer a test in which a yellow belt was going to break some boards. He did of course and, during the course, I mentioned that I had wanted to break more than I did during a recent exhibition. So Sifu laid out some more boards. I noticed right away they all had knots in them but shrugged and went for it anyway.

Typically I would palm break them, but every now and them I feel a bit saucy, and so I decent to use my fist. Maybe I was off a bit, maybe it was the knots. Either case I left four knuckle-prints in the top board but didn't go through. Sifu tried the same break and ended up fracturing part of his hand too, which honestly made me feel a bit better; not in that he was hurt, but in that I wasn't doing it too badly.

My hand has been hurting for about 3 weeks since. Can't hold much weight in it, particularly up-and-down (such a gallon of milk). It swelled bad and turned purple. Used the school's dit-dah right away, which made the bruising go away overnight. Swelling went away about a week later. Still hurting though. I know the meaty part of my hand can't really be cast so there was little point in going to the hospital.

Its getting better of course, and it won't be long before I'm back at it. But there is a lesson to be learned. No matter how good you think you are, no matter how many times you try something; think. Concentrate. "Am I lined up?" "Is that board harder than I think it is?" "Is my skill equal or greater than my pride?" Because no matter how many times you've done something, no matter what your belt level (which for the matter of record, I am testing next month for my black sash, Hung Gar), you need to pay attention as if an eager white belt.

Because the minute you loose focus; bad things happen.

Fu-Pow
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
How long have you studied?

Phacade
10-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Let's see, about 6 years in Hung Gar...3 years in Jeet Kune Do...a few months Aikido (didn't take)...add in about 5 years miscellaneous study overseas in Hong Kong...and a year or change in Kook Sol Wan when I was a kid.

Ben Gash
10-11-2005, 01:33 AM
While you won't need a cast, if you've fractured a metcarpal you should be seen by a Dr. If it is mis-aligned then you risk continuing pain and arthritis. While it can't be cast it can be wired.

Hard Fists
10-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I dunno guys. I've broken medi carples in both hands, twice in my left. I have had a cast each time. If you don't take care of that you could have problems later on, and if you have waited this long and it's not healing correctly, they may have to reset it....not fun.