PDA

View Full Version : Does a good school screen it's studenst before further styles are taught.

Tario
10-20-2001, 01:40 PM
I mean is it good when a school does ceremonies and interviews before passing you onto bigger and better training levels.
For example, is it only in Kung Fu Shaolin that we see the secret styles exposed only after a certain amount of committed time.

I don't think kick boxing, grappling and certain other MA styles keep you doing basics for over a year right????
In Kung Fu, is it the customary to "show students everything but teach them nothing" in a sense, until they are ready?? Or is all that BS. And when u join a KF school you should be shown things no matter how good you are.

Wongsifu
10-20-2001, 02:39 PM
it depends really in my opinion an instructor should know you like the back of his hadn and advance you when you are ready , he shouldnt have gradings every 3 months and then pass people on to the next stuff....

it just depencss

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

MonkeySlap Too
10-20-2001, 04:50 PM
Students often screen themselves.

If they cannot do the fundamentals, they won't progress to higher 'levels' of skill.

There are many more teachers teaching openly and better than ever before.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

blaktiger
10-20-2001, 08:25 PM
True, it depends on the instructor. I had to sit for an interview with my sifu for about one hour, before he invited me to join the school.

Reasons: One, because he is a Taoist Priest; two, he admonishes his potential students not to share the techniques learned in class; three, probably the most important and he actually said this, I want to find out where your head is, before I teach you how to kill people.

This seems to be a prevailing philosophy within The Taoist Institute, as we were required to read "Karate's Deadliest Blows" as part of the curriculum. Theory being, knowing what you are capable of doing to another human being, you will be more reluctant to use it, unless your life is truly in danger.

To tell you the truth, I'm happy Sifu Totten interviewed me before I started. It put me in a more relaxed mindset, before I started the school. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I'll be too busy lookin' good!"

Grappling-Insanity
10-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Yah man in grappling your doing flying armbars within the month :rolleyes: :D . Seriously wtf are you talking about, do you have any clue??

EARTH DRAGON
10-21-2001, 05:21 AM
speaking as a sifu and school owner a student must show some signs of maturity before learning any techniques that require them to do damage to another person without the quote"reasonable force"

Also the higher level techniqes are only as good as the basic foundation techniques.Teaching someone before they are ready will always have negitve consequences.
Kung fu means skill through long time practice so if you have not put your time in it is unneccesary to progress to higher levels if they are not ready.

manditory testing is the worst thing that a teacher or school can do! that's how tae kwon do schools make so much $ and have unquailfied blacks belt all over the place after getting their rank in a year!

It takes about 5 years of daily training to get ranked in our system, I will admitt that our system is a little more complexed than most but it takes that much time to understand one's self reguardless of some may think!

african tiger I cant understand why you said this

Reasons: One, because he is a Taoist Priest; two, he admonishes his potential students not to share the techniques learned in class; three, probably the most important and he actually said this, I want to find out where your head is, before I teach you how to kill people.

If he is indeed taoist then I can assure you that hurting any forms of life of any kind even killing spiders is totally against all thier beliefs and practicses, so I am not sure why you would say such a thing. I do understand about sharing information out side of class for this is one of our rules, but killing people?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

shaolinboxer
10-21-2001, 05:26 PM
I have noticed that where I train, there is almost an unspoken trial of all students who come to train.

The mon-thurs classes for all levels involve what I'd call "long simple versions" of each technique. They serve as training tools and give you a broad outline of the basic principals. Since it is obvious many of these meathods of training have no immediate application, it drives off many students and persepective students who come to watch class.

However, while interacting with the advanced students, I have experienced the "quick versions" of the techniques, which are frankly shocking and disorienting.

After passing the "third kyu exam" (they count down 5 4 3 2 1 black belt) you may take the advanced class and learn these variations (which are the real techniques). This process (I will test for 3rd kyu very soon) takes from 9 months to over a year, depending on the student.

So there is a test and trial period, although it is unspoken.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat