PDA

View Full Version : Forms term

BDKF
10-12-2005, 06:55 AM
What is the Chinese name used for forms? Such as kata or hyung or quyen for Japanese/Okinawan, Korean, or Vietnamese arts? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EarthDragon
10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Kuen= form in pin yin mandarin
pronunced like (cue yen)

David Jamieson
10-12-2005, 07:19 AM
'Kuen' is canto ain't it?

with 'quan' being the mandarin ver of same.

another term that is also used 'Taolu'

quan or chuan gets used for nortehrn kungfu sets a lot and Kuen gets used for southern styles. Both terms mean 'fist' literally and 'fist method' in context.

SPJ
10-12-2005, 07:40 AM
In the old time:

1. Shi or posture is used. Tai Chi 13 Shi, Chang Quan 108 Shi, Quan Jing 32 Shi etc.

2. if it is very long, such as Tai Tzu Chang Quan, it is called section or Jie. In other styles, it is called a road or Lu. Lao Ji Yi Lu, Pao Chui Er Lu etc.

3. A set is called Tao. Tao is consisted of several Lu and others. A Lu is consisted of many Shi etc.

Tao Lu is a general term for sets of forms or postures.

Tao Lu is opposed to San Shou or free forms or free hands.

Practice of Tao Lu is to practice several forms/postures in a subset or set or group.

etc.

:D

BDKF
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Thank you very much.

yu shan
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Not to highjack your thread, but just one quick question. How do you say "coach" in mandarin? Thanks in advance.

Mortal1
10-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I thought the word for forms was taolu. Or something close to that.

brothernumber9
10-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm probably wrong but I think "coach" is lao-shir/lo-si/lao-si

EarthDragon
10-12-2005, 11:20 AM
SPJ,
you could be right, however I have been taught that

Shi= stance i.e ba shi (8 stance) not posture for the character for stand
is different than pose

Tao= way

Lu = road, yes however a road is 1 line of an entire sets i.e a kuen may have 4 Lu

CLFNole
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Technically, kuen/quan does not mean "form" it means "fist".

There are different ways to say things but "kuen to" would generally mean fist form/fist set.

David Jamieson
10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
coach can be 'gao lin' or teach/practice which = coach

SPJ
10-12-2005, 07:00 PM
ED;

Yes. Shi can be posture or stance. Sorry my Chinese software is not working right, other wise I would post the characters.

Tao or Dao is the path or the way.

There is another character meaning a loop or a set also pronounced as Tao.

a circle loop is called Chuan Tao.

:)

yu shan
10-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Thank you for answering my question David Jamieson.

EarthDragon
10-13-2005, 11:05 AM
CLFnole.
I was speaking of kuen, as in "Form or set"

not kuen/chuan/quan as in "fist" different phonetics they sound very different when spoken.

GeneChing
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
In Mandarin, Taolu is the most common word for forms routines, but some also use quanfa or quantao; these are more colloqial. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the characters for quanfa are the same for kenpo.

Coach is jiaolian, senior coach is gaoji jiaolian. Laoshi is teacher and is used for any teacher - that's what my kid calls the Chinese teacher. The shi is the same shi as in shifu (the fu is the same fu as in fuqin or father).

We do have an online glossary (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/glossary.php) but it's far from comprehensive. It does provide both Mandarin Pinyin and Cantonese romanisations, though, which is a definate plus if you're not using Chinese characters.

Mortal1
10-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Hmmm My correct response has gone ignored.:( :confused:

David Jamieson
10-13-2005, 12:28 PM
no one ignored it mortal, it was already said at that point. That's all.:)

Mortal1
10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Sorry you are correct. I didn't see it in your post the first time!:o

CLFNole
10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
EarthDragon:

What I was trying to say (maybe not so well) is that kuen does not mean form or set at all. Kuen is generally synonomous with form or set amongst kung fu people but does not have the meaning to typical chinese.

Example: Hok Ying Kuen in english would generally be referred to as "crane form" but it really translates to crane shape fist. The kuen is the same, same character same pronunciation.

In speaking chinese the word kuen would not mean form or set if you said "kuen to" someone would understand becuase that would be fist form or fist set.

Peace.

Ou Ji
10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the characters for quanfa are the same for kenpo.

You're correct. The characters for chuan fa are pronounced kenpo in Japanese.

Americans have really buthcered things when Chinese fighting arts came to this country. Just look at the fact that we call wu shu kung fu.

SPJ
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
My brother asked me to compile terms in Tai Chi and Ba Gua.

Sort of Chinese words with explanations in English.

I replied that you got to be kidding me big time.

The Chinese words are not your daily life Chinese.

It would take pages of texts and pictures or diagrams just to explain a single term.

So I decided that to write in series of books instead.

The words or phrases are explained with 3 or more examples with pictures.

With all styles, it will take a long while.

So I said that I will just pick the most common ones first then.

Idioms and lexicons OMG

---

I wish that there is a committee set up for each style. and they do the jobs of translating all the terms into English or other lingo.

----

:eek:

SPJ
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Quan or fist. It usually means the fighting methods of the style including open hand, weapons, theories and drills all together.

In that sense, Quan would be the school or the style. such as Hong Quan, Tai Chi Quan etc.

Quan Fa means fighting methods. Quan Fa usually means the theories and principles. Such as Jun Fan Quan Fa or Bruce Lee fighting methods.

The book that contains Quan Fa is called Quan Jing or sutra.

The book that has the diagrams of moves is called Quan Pu.

on and on.

:)

CLFNole
10-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Right kuen faht (cantonese) - fist methods, girk faht - kicking.leg methods, kwun faht - staff methods, etc.....